Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Dropped my laptop and can't reboot.

• 09-04-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

I know, I know. Dropped laptop, it froze so I tried to restart it. I'm getting a boot device window which has hard disk/CD Rom-DVD/Floppy Disk and LAN Boot as four options but when I try to choose one (Hard Disk, couldn't tell you why but it seems the most likely) and hit return - nada.

Any clues? Definitely have no cash to get fixed.

Be gentle - I'm a bit of a technophobe.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

What make is it?

Is it under warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

CSU wrote: »
    What make is it?

Is it under warranty?

It's an IQON (think it's made by Philips) but warranty is long gone - it's 6 years' old.

You've probably killed the HDD

You could be lucky and only have loosened the HDD from the board, locate it (usually on the side held in by a cover with one screw) and unplug and plug it and see if it works.

Otherwise the lack of any error codes on boot is telling me everything else seems fine ie. ram.

You've probably killed the HDD

You could be lucky and only have loosened the HDD from the board, locate it (usually on the side held in by a cover with one screw) and unplug and plug it and see if it works.

Otherwise the lack of any error codes on boot is telling me everything else seems fine ie. ram.

'Killed' is rarely a good word. Can't see any obvious way to open anything on the side. Would a quick look at this tell you where I should be looking?

Thanks a million,

E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Looks like just one big cover on the bottom, so its probably in there, if you have the right screwdriver.

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Looks like just one big cover on the bottom, so its probably in there, if you have the right screwdriver.

There are two panels so I've taken both off. Any idea which of these doodahs is the HDD? Don't really want to start messing with something about which I have clearly no clue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The rectangular silver thing on the bottom left, should slide to the left and lift out. Does it feel like its spinning ? It looks like an IDE type, you might get another cheap on ebay, but finding drivers for IQONs can be tricky sometimes.

Actually on another look at the pic, it looks like its slipped to the left, out of its socket, as the pins are visible. Try a push to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

the small one on the lower left, gently remove the drive, pull it to the left,away from pins.put back 2 covers . reboot laptop, does it boot up.
    the drive could be damaged, or just boot files deleted, first try reboot , leave drive in, hold f8, from safe mode, menu,try safe mode directory service restore.use arrow keys,up,down enter to select it.
    you could buy 40gig ide 2.5inch drive on adverts ie, 20 euro. then just reinstall windows.be careful,dont touch drive pcb, circuit board, put it down gently.is there any important data on the drive.?

*went to clean teh car sorry*

yer the HDD slipped out of the socket, a push to the right and all "should" be back to norm :)

and you might want to remove those photos before your product key iz all over the internets LoL!

*went to clean teh car sorry*

yer the HDD slipped out of the socket, a push to the right and all "should" be back to norm :)

That's exactly what happened! Thanks so much to everyone. You have restored my laptop and my faith in humanity. Really appreciate it.

And I forgive you CSU for having a life instead of doling out free advice :)

Cheers,

Butterfingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

having given it such a knock, now might be a oportune moment to back up everything of importance just in case.

HDs dont appreciate bumps particularly while running and every extra knock considerably reduces its life.
    I'd run a HD test utility afterwards to see if anything obvious happened.
    Damaged sectors etc
    Different manufacturers have their own but HDDScan or similar might help.

Advertisement