Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The End Of Top-Up Credit Cards?

Options
  • 09-04-2011 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I have been an avid user of 3V cards for years now. As of yesterday my bank sent me my new card, which is a Visa backed card and can be used online just like a Visa card. It costs nothing, other than the normal €2.50 yearly stamp tax to use online and works on Paypal/eBay/etc. and the money comes directly from my account.

I was well impressed sure! I am a Permanent TSB account holder, but a mate of mine with Ulster Bank said he got one from his bank recently enough as well.

Are all the banks going with this now? I was wondering if anyone else out there got one from their bank or one of the above mentioned banks. It's a brilliant thing as I will never have to buy another top-up for a credit card, and will never have to pay exorbitant fees when I book a flight online!

Thought I'd ask and see as I didn't know if this is going to be the new standard. If it isn't, it sure be! Nothing bothers me more than having to pay a fee to spend my own money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

yep - friend of mine has one too .........

Great news , I'm sure 3v will have to review their fees now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's a Visa debit card. All the banks are moving from Laser to Visa debit, with BOI changing over from the 3rd quarter of this year. That will leave just AIB using Laser, and I'm sure they'll follow suit shortly. Laser is dead, and Visa debit makes pre-pay credit cards somewhat redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Have you any link to the BOI date? I asked my bank's customer service girl and she acted like I had 2 heads when I asked about the whole thing, then tried to flog me a credit card :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wish AIB would get their act in gear and change over to Visa Debit too.

I'd assume they will do when their current Laser contract expires (I assume that is the reason they didn't change yet, though could be wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Liamu2

Im so sick of this whole out dated system. For years having to use stupid awkward 3v.

I see on my AIB bank statement it says, from the 6th of April 2011 that laser can be used with websites based in RoI that accepts Maestro. (cant imagine thats a whole lot).

Its MasterCard SecureCode, which dont look too good as still cant be used on amazon or paypal sigh..iv never been able to use amazon :( AIB SUCKS!

Just a question which bank is the best at the moment/ least fee's etc..
    And do the other banks have cards equivalent to laser and can they be used in post office to put money in to your account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Top up card are becoming harder to use on some sited (Ryanair) but you can easily get a card from moneybookers or neteller. You have to verify your account, but once you do it's dead handy. The Neteller card is free (mb costs 10e).

The Neteller card (Net +) can be topped up with ukash (you can get that in your shop, probably where you can buy the 3V couchers), and you can use it where ever you see the mastercard sign!

I'd not use anything else now, not even my visa credit card, the Net + card it just easier and no bills ;)

Advertisement