Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing from Belgium

• 09-04-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hey.

A friend of my mine who lives in Belgium is planning to sell his bike in Ireland. Does anybody know what the difficulites in doing this are?

Is he liable to pay any costums duties?
    How does changing the registration work? Does the buyer simply reregister it here? or does he have to deregister it in Belgium, or what?

Are there any other considerations he should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

Don't know any specifics about exporting from Belgium, but in Ireland it'll mean paying VRT to get it registered. Bikes under 6 months old and 6000km are considered new and liable to VAT as well as VRT. So if this is the case you'll want to try to get your VAT back off Belgium so you aren't paying VAT twice.

Either way the above link has all the info I needed when importing from UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hey.

A friend of my mine who lives in Belgium is planning to sell his bike in Ireland. Does anybody know what the difficulites in doing this are?

Is he liable to pay any costums duties?
    How does changing the registration work? Does the buyer simply reregister it here? or does he have to deregister it in Belgium, or what?

Are there any other considerations he should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Why is he selling in Ireland?
    Was he contacted by someone from Ireland? Possible scam.

Sounds like a lot of hassle unless the bike is very rare.

To reg a bike in Ireland all you need is the Vehicles Registration Cert or whatever the local equivalent is, since it's coming from Belgium it'll already be EU approved.

He'll have to look into what he needs to do to export for Belgium himself, but usually the VRO in Shannon will inform the exporters authorities that vehicle has left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If he brings the bike here and he has owned it mote than a year he can reg it for free

Then he can sell it on an Irish plate

What is it btw

Advertisement