Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pimp your UL event (especially UL clubs and socs)

• 09-04-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Frequently we get posts from UL people (especially clubs and societies) that have an event on-campus and want to advertise it. While clubs and socs have their own website where they can advertise their events, the boards UL board is also a potential "market" for letting people know about useful events. Additionally there are quite a few events on campus that aren't run by clubs and socs.

Thread rules:
    Ideally events should be free for the public or UL students to attend. If you're running an event as a commercial venture, you have (or should have) your own advertising budget to highlight these events. Send details of the event to either of the forum mods by PM if you're in doubt - we're not a convenient free supermarket noticeboard, nor are we going to become one.

Events should either take place on the UL campus or be officially organised by a recognised club or society off-campus. In practice this will generally mean that only UL campus events are the ones that you'll want to post.

Have a bit of cop-on about what you're posting. Post useful events, not every tuppence ha'penny weekly meeting etc - that would be spamming and reducing the value of the thread for everyone. You guys also have (or should have) your own facebook pages and email lists for letting your own members know about regular non-notable stuff. A number of clubs and socs are terribly poor at letting non-members know about events happening on campus - especially sporting competitions and similar events - so if you know something's coming up soon, please feel free to post it as long as you include useful detail to so that people can find it!

Don't repeat post unless the mods OK it (and that won't happen very often). That's rude.

Ignoring the above items means your post will be deleted and you'll probably be given an enforced holiday from the board. A bit of sense and that won't happen.

Odds are good that some people will want to know more details. For the moment that's fine on this thread; later on we may ask people to take it to a new thread. Call this a trial. If it works out we keep it, if it doesn't we don't.

Might be useful for people to "follow" this thread by clicking the "follow" button on the top-right. It'll allow you to get email updates on content.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

First event. Call this a useful template in how to post one and what info needs to be included as well.

The UL Vikings (UL's American Football squad) are taking on the Carrickfergus Knights on Sunday, April 10 (that's tomorrow) at the UL Sportsgrounds (they're the big grassy things inside the east gate - it'll probably be on in Maguires, which is the field behind).

Both teams are undefeated in this year's league and it's a repeat of last year's Shamrock Bowl semi-final so it should be a good game. Call down and support them - they've been Shamrock Bowl champions for three of the past four years, making them the most successful sports team UL has ever produced and they often get ignored when it comes to teams to support.

Game starts at 2pm.

Facebook event link

What? UL Vikings league game against the Carrickfergus Knights
    When?: Sunday, April 10 @2pm
    Where? UL Sportsgrounds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Great idea for a sticky thumb-up.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

What? Maths Soc Table quiz
    When? Tonight at 7
    Where? Sports bar.

more info at https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=206804536056829

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Tune into ULFM at 11 to hear all about UL Forum Soc's Zombie Walk!

What? Zombie Walk through campus
    When? Wednesday week 8, 5PM
    Where? Starts in the Millstream Courtyard

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

Ul mens rugby freshers team are playing Carlow I.T. this wednesday on the Ten Acres Pitchs. (the one with the GAA, Soccer and Rugby pitches on)

Its the first game of a new season for our freshers team who have been training hard in the past weeks in the build up to this. Carlow are recognised as one of the top teams in Ireland and won the O'Boyle freshers cup last year. We're hoping for a big support to help the team in what surely will be tough opponents

What? Freshers mens rugby v C.I.T
    Where? Ten acres pitches
    When? 3pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Tune into ULFM at 11 to hear all about UL Forum Soc's Zombie Walk!

What? Zombie Walk through campus
    When? Wednesday week 8, 5PM
    Where? Starts in the Millstream Courtyard

:)

http://www.facebook.com/events/266344573404851/ *insert zombie smilie here*

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

Hello all,

The European Handball Federation Challenge Tropgy is taking part in UL this weekend 4-6 November with Ireland taking on Georgia, England and Faroe Islands.

Free to attend and will showcase some young international talent and a few potential GB 2012 Olympians on the England team.
    So get down and enjoy a sport with plenty of brilliant goals and plenty of big hits!

Friday 4 November:
    17.15 Georgia v England
    20.00 Ireland v Faroe Islands

Saturday 5 November:
    14.00 England v Faroe Islands
    16.00 Ireland v Georgia

Sunday 6 November:
    14.00 Georgia v Faroe Islands
    16.00 Ireland v England

http://www.olympichandball.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

your better off posting it here in this thread...made for this kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

UL Drama Society are pleased to present their first full production of the year;' 'Allo 'Allo.
    Written by Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft, and based on the hugely popular TV comedy series, the stage version of 'Allo 'Allo follows the adventures of Rene, the hapless cafe owner in war-torn occupied France, a he and his wife, Edith, struggle to keep for themselves a priceless portrait stolen by the Nazis and kept in a sausage in their cellar. Rene is hiding two British airmen and i endevouring, with the help of the Resistance, to repatriate them. However, communications with London through a wireless disguised as a cockatoo add to the many embarrassments he endures in the company of his patrons. Matters come to a head with new that the Fuhrer is to visit the town and the cafe becomes filled with tricksters intending to impersonate Hitler before the event. Rene will need all the wit he can muster to save his cafe and his life.

Just to be clear,
    Show will run on Monday the 7th at 7.30pm and Tuesday the 8th at 8.30pm!

Admission only €4.00!

This is an amateur performance by kind permission of Samuel French Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

Choke Comedy & UL Drama Soc presents - Stand Up & Improv

Time: 09 November · 20:00 - 23:00

Choke Comedy and Limerick's foremost comedic talent Mr. Karl Spain take to the stage together for a show guaranteed to top the poll when it comes to delivering laughs where they are needed most.

So what happens on the night - well we're not quite sure as we make it up as we go along with helpful and no doubt not so helpful suggestions from the audience as we create comedic sketches and mayhem right before your very eyes.

The night will consist of stand up comedy from Karl who will also introduce a rising new comedy star and then Karl will join the Choke Comedy gang on stage for an improv show which will have you all in stitches and us in many unpredictable scenarios and locations.

So forget the floods, forget the budget, forget about Dana and forget about the exams (oh you already have) and join us for a night of hopeless hilarity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

UL Poker society is pleased to announce that the poker championships will be taking place on November 9th, Week 10.This has become a huge event around college, regularly having more than 100 players each time it has been run.

Registration will take place between 11 - 3 Wednesday of Week 10.
    Registration costs € 20. There will be free dinner and drink in sports bar for those who pre reg.

The winner and runner-up will receive a ULPC coveted bracelet worth over 100 euro and a large cash prize. Other top finishers will also receive cash prizes.
    The night promises to be a great night full of poker competition and good craic. All are welcome including non students.
    There will be a late bar on the night.

Thread bump to let people know that new life is being breathed into the UL Psychology Society. We're not entirely sure on the date yet but we expect to host our AGM next week (Week 2).

We have plenty of stuff in the pipeline and I will post again when we have a concrete date set. There will also most likely be emails sent to students.

At the AGM we will outline details of planned activities, fundraisers and roles inolved in the society.

Anyone with an interest in Psychology is more than welcome to come along and join, no matter the faculty.

If anyone has any questions, throw em up here or by PM, whichever you prefer.

Ciaran

Just an update, the AGM has been delayed due to unforeseen processes in C&S. This also means we won't be able to set up at the recruitment drive tomorrow.

However, I will keep this updated with news of when we get things back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

Irish Olympic Handball Association
    The IOHA will be in Limerick this evening (31st January) with UL and Mary I students, the IOHA will host 'An Introduction to Handball' from 6pm tonight and next Tuesday!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=278195692247732&id=130456927021610

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

What? Journalism Table Quiz!
    When?: 7pm, Thursday, 16th February
    Where? UL Arena Bar

€2 per person
    5 people per table,
    15 Tables on offer!

Night of laughs, student discounts on beverages! & PRIZES!

I myself, will be attending also, if none of the above catches your eye! :D
    Give yourself a night off and before coming out with any time related excuses,
    I'm up early the next day too!
    So c'mon,
    Will be great :D
    Could have a Boards team or two if we dragged enough people together :D
    Lemee know anyway either on this anyway,
    Pay on the night!
    C'mon, it's less than you'd spend on a pint whilst there :P

Following on from the C&S meeting last night, the Psychology Soc have been accepted on a 15 week trial!

As before, I will update further with details of AGM dates, events, etc.

In the meantime, you can join the new Psychology Society Group on Facebook, and like the new page.

We really want to get the going properly this time round and have something there for the younger years to have! So if you're interested check us out!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

What? Journalism Table Quiz!
    When?: 7pm, Thursday, 16th February
    Where? UL Arena Bar

I'll try get a team together :D

Put me on it!
    Surely being First Year Rep for the society will have it's advantages!

Put me on it!
    Surely being First Year Rep for the society will have it's advantages!

I've a friend coming down from Galway so i can rope her in too! My housemate said she may come also but that's not for definite.. So that still leaves an open slot if any boardsie wants to join what is clearly going to be the winning team seeing as we have a man on the inside :pac:

Decent enough prizes as well,
    I'll ask Jamie there tomorrow too,
    I know he's something else on later that night too though down at The Hurlers,
    Must check that out too,
    If push comes to shove there should be others down there looking for a team :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Think I'll definitely be that 'housemate' on your team so count me in :) just gonna scab my money together for it :P

Decent enough prizes as well,
    I'll ask Jamie there tomorrow too,
    I know he's something else on later that night too though down at The Hurlers,
    Must check that out too,
    If push comes to shove there should be others down there looking for a team :)

I'm trying to be in town in enough time to get into Angel Lane as I've never been there yet and I heard it's good and I want my friend to have a fun time in Limerick but if that fails Sin Bin.. not had good experiences in there though..!! But I told her about the quiz and she's looking forward to it :D

Been to Angel Lane,
    Not a fan myself,
    Loud nightclub with dance music and pop music crucified by the bass.
    But if that's what you're into,
    Slightly bias against all nightclubs though so can't take my word for it,
    Gets pretty packed though..
    Again don't take my word for it..
    Going to Hurlers afterwards myself,
    If you're into shít nightclubs you should try the Lodge :P
    Are you implying that the table quiz won't be "fun" enough!

You, Aragneer, your friend and me,
    Just need one more :D

Aragneer wrote: »
    Think I'll definitely be that 'housemate'

You don't deserve a name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Cawcheen wrote: »
    You don't deserve a name!

I guess I'm just a nameless, faceless person then :(

Been to Angel Lane,
    Not a fan myself,
    Loud nightclub with dance music and pop music crucified by the bass.
    But if that's what you're into,
    Slightly bias against all nightclubs though so can't take my word for it,
    Gets pretty packed though..
    Again don't take my word for it..
    Going to Hurlers afterwards myself,
    If you're into shít nightclubs you should try the Lodge :P
    Are you implying that the table quiz won't be "fun" enough!

You, Aragneer, your friend and me,
    Just need one more :D

Think I'd rather go to the hurlers for €2 drinks but might as well experience Angel Lane once and see what it's like, i think that's what my friend will want to do but it will be discussed! Im easy going.
    I actually think we might not even be able to make it out.. i can only handle so much fun in one night and this quiz sounds so promising! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

What?: The Big F$*K off Sexy table D'activities night
    When?: Thursday 16th, 8.30
    Where?: The Scholars Club

Unlike your regular quiz night your team doesn't need to be intelligent, just willing

Teams will consist of 4-5 people at €20 per team

The format (or lack of it) will consist of rounds that require your team or individuals from your team to perform tasks that will score you points. Winning isn't important in this night it's more about not losing as there will be a "prize" for the losers. There will be a max of 2 question rounds while we set up certain activites and figure out what the hell we're doing.

Banter guaranteed many surprises/prizes promised on the night

All welcome, bring friends housemates, mothers, fathers hobos off the street whoever

http://www.facebook.com/events/268967193175752/

Should be able to get my housemates to fill a table for this. Or did I tell ye that last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Should be able to get my housemates to fill a table for this. Or did I tell ye that last night?

yeah think james knows

• Advertisement

Confirmation of Journo Table Quiz attendents?

Advertisement