Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pimp your UL event (especially UL clubs and socs)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Confirmation of Journo Table Quiz attendents?

Katie, myself, Katie's friend and I think she has someone else coming, if not then it's just us four :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Aragneer wrote: »
    Confirmation of Journo Table Quiz attendents?

Katie, myself, Katie's friend and I think she has someone else coming, if not then it's just us four :)

Great! :-D
    7 UL Arena bar yeah,
    Hope you and your friends are clever,
    I have the Science Qs,
    I'll leave the rest to you :-P
    Til then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

garv123 wrote: »
    What?: The Big F$*K off Sexy table D'activities night
    When?: Thursday 16th, 8.30
    Where?: The Scholars Club

Unlike your regular quiz night your team doesn't need to be intelligent, just willing

Teams will consist of 4-5 people at €20 per team

The format (or lack of it) will consist of rounds that require your team or individuals from your team to perform tasks that will score you points. Winning isn't important in this night it's more about not losing as there will be a "prize" for the losers. There will be a max of 2 question rounds while we set up certain activites and figure out what the hell we're doing.

Banter guaranteed many surprises/prizes promised on the night

All welcome, bring friends housemates, mothers, fathers hobos off the street whoever

http://www.facebook.com/events/268967193175752/

Heres a teaser of a few rounds for tonight:
    There will be a boob, butt and shoulder round,
    Twister will be involved,
    Ultimate test of a woman,
    Ultimate test of a wife,
    we also have 50 blindfolds and a swet of handcuffs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Great! :-D
    7 UL Arena bar yeah,
    Hope you and your friends are clever,
    I have the Science Qs,
    I'll leave the rest to you :-P
    Til then :)

Yeah, we'll defo see you there :)
    Ha, I'm quite good when it comes to the cartoony-type rounds and the film stuff so fingers crossed :L
    Dunno about the rest!
    See you soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

What?: Open Mic Night
    When?: Every Monday, 9pm
    Where?: Stables

Get on stage, perform, get a free pint. Simples!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What? UL Psychology Society AGM
    When? Tomorrow (23rd), 6pm
    Where? TBC

Come along to the inaugural UL Psychology Society AGM to hear our plan of action for the rest of term and beyond. We will be formally electing a committee to run the Society, along with detailing plans of upcoming fun events, fundraisers and guest speakers!

Venue will be posted shortly.

If you are interested in joining the Society, you can now preregister on the UL Wolves page. Sign in using your Wolves Account and find us there. You will be fully registered upon payment of the membership fee, which is a mere €2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Where: C1059
    When: Tomorrow, 7th March, 6pm.

Dear all,

You are invited to attend the UL Psychology Society's AGM. We'll be laying out our calendar of events and formally electing a committee. This includes details of a Games/Quiz night and the Psychology Ball!

We'll be taking any questions or suggestions you might have about the Society.

We are a new Society making a fresh start and if you have any interest at all in the field of Psychology, you're more than welcome to join.

So come along and get free pizza at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OIUL

What: Queerbash 9- Queers Go Native
    Where: Dolan's Warehouse
    When: Friday 13th April

Out in UL presents the the 9th year of Queerbash. Dolan's Warehouse. Friday 13th April. Doors open at 9pm to a night of uncensored madness.

Hosted by Madonna Lucia and Sheila Fits-Patrick. Performances from the untouchable Candy Warhol, Fada and Eileen, Dance UL and UL Drama. Tribal drumming from Jack Deacon. With music from DJ Jeff and Return to Sender (RTS). And a few suprises!

Queerbash 9 is set to be better than ever as this year's tribal theme takes over! Dust off that old African headpiece and release your inner animal. This will be a Friday the 13th you'll never remember!

Dolans Warehouse
    Friday 13th April
    9pm

Queers Go Native.

More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/263944370351852/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭johnryano

Very surprised that C&S authorised the use of the word queer as a euphemism for homosexual on an official poster. Is this a case of "they're allowed to use it to describe themselves"?

No, it's a case that 'queer' is the official word used to describe all members of the LGBTQ community. Also, the basis of Queerbash, when it was started 8 years ago, was to take the negative connotations associated with queerbashing, and to turn it into something positive and powerful for the queer community. This it has accomplished over the years and this is the message it continues to put across.

Nowadays, the use of the word 'queer' in the LGBTQ community is seen as a symbol of diversity and it's a word that is celebrated by its members.

• Advertisement

queer is now an official term?

I didn't get that memo. good to know.

It's become shorthand for LGBTQCISAP (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, Curious, Intersex, Straight Allies, Asexual, Pansexual). As you might imagine, queer is a lot easier to say! :)

right. I just get a tiny bit annoyed by the constant need by society and popular culture to label sexuality. It's not a medical condition. It is not a personality type. It does not need a different label for every variation. Sexuality exists as a spectrum and trying to pluck people out and quantify based on some gay/straight metric is silly and a waste of time.

This often makes me come across as homophobic but rather I could not care less how anyone interprets their own sexuality.

Your heart's in the right place, but until homophobia is extinct, we need to be as inclusive of every aspect of the queer community as possible. The use of so many 'labels' as you say is to ensure that no one is left out, that anyone who identifies as any aspect of queer feels part of a community.

It also exists like that to avoid discrimination within the queer community. Many gay people, for example, show biphobia because they don't view bisexual people as being a part of the same community. That's why we include so many people under the word 'queer', so that we all identify with one thing, and not separate identities which can foster discrimination. And the use of labels is very necessary so that these people are identified, and that we vies them as part of our community. 1 in 100 people are intersex, which a lot of people don't know, and that's often not included into the queer paradigm, But it's absolutely necessary that it is, and that they're are seen as part of one community.

Sorry for the long response, it's just something I'm passionate about. :)

buddy if you think that's a long post you haven't seen me in action.

I think you're using a very liberal definition of the term intersex to say it has an prevalence of 1 in a 100, especially as the prevalence of actually surgically relevant intersex gender is more like 1 in a 1000 or less (according to wikipedia).

Fair enough, I take your point that celebrating the term 'queer' is more for community rather than social reasons but I still feel homosexuality (and the rest of queerdom) really takes up too much time in the media and popular culture.

Essentially if we all stopped asking would we really care anymore?

What you're saying is very idealistic. People have fought for years for equal rights. Do you really think it's just as easy as that? Do you think that African Americans would have won their rights if they had received less media attention? No, that's ridiculous. I've read a lot on minority influence, and the only way to challenge majority opinion is firstly to make yourself visible. It is a fact that queer people don't have equal rights in this country. Do you think the answer to marriage equality is for the queers to remain quiet? If everyone had your attitude, nothing would change. The minority would remain oppressed, and everyone would move on.

As I've said, brave people have fought for years to get equality where it is today. And it's frankly doing those people a disservice to say that queer people are fighting for something that people don't care about. People obviously do care, because people are still not allowing us to get married.

And finally, it definitely goes to show there's problem when someone can't post a queer event to a forum without it turning into a debate on homosexuality. If you really didn't have an issue, you'd let the queers do what the queers do.

Ah now. Ah now.

'African Americans' as in black people in the united states make up a much larger majority of the population than queer people. Black people were also enslaved and were given genuinely 2nd class citizenship.

In every country in the world gay people can get married. Just that it's only a few where they can get married to each other. Don't taint the legitimacy of your argument with inappropriate analogies.

I really don't have an issue. I have no problem with Queer society have queer events in the same vein I don't mind the Islam society have islamic events. What I have a problem with is people telling me that their sexuality is important to me when it isn't.

How dare you suggest that queer people aren't treated as second class citizens! If you'd care to do the slightest bit of research, you'd know that homosexuality is still ILLEGAL in over 80 countries, the punishment for which in many of those countries is the death penalty. So I think we've paid our dues on the oppressed minority scale.

You say that gay people can married in every country. What the hell are you smoking?! It must be a fantastic world you live in, because in this one, there are only 10 countries in the ENTIRE WORLD, and a few states in the US, where it is legal! And Ireland is not one of them, so no, we cannot get married. 'Only a few where they can't get married to each other'. What, do you expect a gay man to marry a woman? What is wrong with you?

And I never told you that my sexuality or anyone's sexuality is important to you. I'm saying it's important to them. Nothing to do with you.

And until you live as a queer person and know what it feels like to be treated like a second class citizen, nothing you say here can be taken seriously. 'Cause right now you're just an arrogant straight man telling the queers how they have equal right and they're not second class citizens.

Bravo, my man, you've just solved inequality. Take a bow.

OIUL wrote: »
    How dare you suggest that queer people aren't treated as second class citizens! If you'd care to do the slightest bit of research, you'd know that homosexuality is still ILLEGAL in over 80 countries, the punishment for which in many of those countries is the death penalty. So I think we've paid our dues on the oppressed minority scale.

List those countries. They're all Arab and African nations that are fairly underdeveloped. Give them another 100 years or so and it will probably be legalised.
    You say that gay people can married in every country. What the hell are you smoking?! It must be a fantastic world you live in, because in this one, there are only 10 countries in the ENTIRE WORLD, and a few states in the US, where it is legal! And Ireland is not one of them, so no, we cannot get married. 'Only a few where they can't get married to each other'. What, do you expect a gay man to marry a woman? What is wrong with you?

I am just highlighting the fact that Gay people can get married, can ride in the front of the bus and can hold high paying jobs. You are the one that is attempting to distort the truth. What the problem is there is some technical delay in arranging marriages between people of the same gender as this was not previously allowed for in constitution or law. You say gay people can not marry, I am just proving to you that this is false.
    And I never told you that my sexuality or anyone's sexuality is important to you. I'm saying it's important to them. Nothing to do with you.

Of course it's relevant and important to them. And I'm sure their religion and shoe size is too. But I don't understand why it needs a cause, an action and a society for it.
    And until you live as a queer person and know what it feels like to be treated like a second class citizen, nothing you say here can be taken seriously.

You presume too much. I suggest you look up the definition of queer or at least refer back to your own post where you define it, you will find that according to that I am queer.
    'Cause right now you're just an arrogant straight man telling the queers how they have equal right and they're not second class citizens.

They do have equal rights. Heterosexual men cannot marry heterosexual men. It's not the sexuality that is the problem currently it's the gender. Don't overexaggerate the hardship homosexual people suffer, it undermines your cause.
    Bravo, my man, you've just solved inequality. Take a bow.[/QUOTE]

thanks andy

Don't overexaggerate the hardships people suffer?! You have absolutely no right to say that. I am in no way distorting the truth. Do you think that because people are being killed for their sexuality in African countries makes it any less of a social issue than if it were here? That is an absolutely disgusting statement for any human being to make. And it wasn't so long ago it was illegal here. 1993. You clearly have very little empathy or you wouldn't be making the statements you're making. You clearly can't imagine what it's like for someone to be afraid to kiss the person they love in public, or not be able to get married or adopt children with the person they love, or stand by their partner's bedside in hospital, because, no, civil partners do not get visitation right, and neither no non-adoptive children.

And someone's religion or shoe size isn't a cause for action because people are discriminated against in law for having big feet. Stop making ridiculous statements.

And again, 'You say gay people can not marry, I am just proving to you that this is false.' How is that false, how?! How?!

• Advertisement

Don't overexaggerate the hardships people suffer?! You have absolutely no right to say that. I am in no way distorting the truth. Do you think that because people are being killed for their sexuality in African countries makes it any less of a social issue than if it were here? That is an absolutely disgusting statement for any human being to make. And it wasn't so long ago it was illegal here. 1993. You clearly have very little empathy or you wouldn't be making the statements you're making. You clearly can't imagine what it's like for someone to be afraid to kiss the person they love in public, or not be able to get married or adopt children with the person they love, or stand by their partner's bedside in hospital, because, no, civil partners do not get visitation right, and neither no non-adoptive children.

And someone's religion or shoe size isn't a cause for action because people are discriminated against in law for having big feet. Stop making ridiculous statements.

And again, 'You say gay people can not marry, I am just proving to you that this is false.' How is that false, how?! How?!

Would it be any way possible for you to continue this conversation without resorting to petty insults and name calling? thanks

I am going to, for the final time, explain to you the logical inadequacies of your argument.

Heterosexual men cannot marry heterosexual men.
    Heterosexual men cannot marry homosexual men.
    Heterosexual women cannot marry heterosexual women.
    Heterosexual women cannot marry homosexual women.
    Men can marry women.

The problem with the law is based on gender not sexual orientation. I will not be indulging any more of your outbursts tonight.

Are you kidding me? I did not once in any of my comments insult you. What I've said is based on the ridiculous statements that you have been making. Your argument is stupid. Sexual orientation is obviously based around gender. Inequality, however, is not based on sexism, it's based on homophobia. Changing people's attitudes on gender is not going to get marriage equality. Changing people's attitudes on sexuality is.

And calling by arguments 'outbursts' is a very petty attempt at undermining what I am saying. They're fuelled by the obvious emotional reaction I'm having to what you're saying, most of which is, whether you like it or not, homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShhCat

johnryano wrote: »
    Would it be any way possible for you to continue this conversation without resorting to petty insults and name calling? thanks
    Excuse me I don't see any "petty insults and name calling." Nothing OIUL has said seems petty, but has actual reasoning behind it.
    Heterosexual men cannot marry heterosexual men.
    Heterosexual men cannot marry homosexual men.
    Heterosexual women cannot marry heterosexual women.
    Heterosexual women cannot marry homosexual women.
    Men can marry women.

Why would a heterosexual man want to marry a homosexual man, a heterosexual man or anything?
    I've heard of bromances but that's stepping the line.
    People should be allowed to marry who they love, regardless of gender. While yes, the problem is based on gender, it makes absolutely no sense to look at it from that perspective as a straight man, would never want to live with another straight man and have children. Your argument is highly flawed.
    I will not be indulging any more of your outbursts tonight.
    I think you'll find, you're the one that started with the outbursts. Too scared that the queers will bash you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pleaseisaid

i live in my own little idealistic world pretty much all the time and while i know that there are homophobic people in the world, i'm not often in contact with them. i don't really talk about my sexuality with anyone and so it's never been an issue. i know that there are countries in the world where being gay is punishable by law, in some cases resulting in the death penalty, but in my little world, i can kiss whoever i want and i can sleep with whoever i want. i don't take much notice of the ideals and values of my parents or my friends, because, ultimately, i know that if they disagree with my actions, nothing bad will happen to me. i'm used to doing what i want. i've never been discriminated against.

because i'm not a gay man, i'm safe from a lot of slander and abuse. if i came out as a lesbian in my all girls school, i would have been the talk of the school, yes, but i probably wouldn't have suffered any of the vitriol that a lot of boys would have. i never did feel a need to talk about my sexuality though, and i still don't - but seeing ignorant posts on boards.ie about how queers have the same rights as everyone else and that we should stop looking for attention - well, that turns my stomach.

it puts a stark light on how oblivious the straight community can be towards the struggles of people in the LGBT community. it's insulting. this idiotic boy honestly thinks that gay people have the same rights as straight people. as far as he's concerned, we can all get married so why are we complaining?

this person says that intersex gendered people are more like 1 in a 1000 than 1 in a 100, but then goes on to suggest that LGBT people are not a minority, and that unlike race and personality type, is not something that is inherent to a person. that suggests, to me, that being queer is a choice, which is definitely is not.

according to johnryano, 'homosexuality (and the rest of queerdom) really takes up too much time in the media and popular culture.' i disagree: i don't think it does take up too much time. if it were superfluous, then there would be genuine changes, not those half-assed civil partnerships that we see now. there are around 1,000 smaller rights that gay couples miss out on compared to straight couples in terms of being married/ in a civil partnership. until we reach full equality, i don't think we should remove ourselves from the public eye.

i agree with OIUL, that had african americans shyed away during their civil rights movement, none of what they achieved would have happened. we certainly wouldn't see a black president of the usa. compared to when the civil rights movement started, this is phenomenal. racism will probably always exist, because that's human nature, but black people have equal rights in the western world. homophobia will probably always exist, but we can't nurture it by suggesting that gay people are different. if gay people have the same rights as everyone else, legally, then homophobia is someone's personal reaction to a gay person, not society's as a whole, or worse, our government. as long as gay people don't have equal rights, our government is promoting homophobia, and that's just not acceptable. so we will remain in the media.

What the hell are you smoking?!
    What is wrong with you?
    you're just an arrogant straight man
    That is an absolutely disgusting statement
    You clearly have very little empathy
    homophobic.
    ShhCat wrote: »
    Excuse me I don't see any "petty insults and name calling."

Can you not read?
    I think you'll find, you're the one that started with the outbursts. Too scared that the queers will bash you?

are you threatening me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShhCat

What the hell are you smoking?!
    What is wrong with you?
    you're just an arrogant straight man
    That is an absolutely disgusting statement
    You clearly have very little empathy
    homophobic.
    ShhCat wrote: »
    Excuse me I don't see any "petty insults and name calling."

Can you not read?

are you threatening me?
    I said with reason. If you want a proper insult, I suggest you take your trolling to 4chan.

No, I'm not threatening you, but you've proven time and time again that you're inconsistent. What happened to not responding to outbursts? For more examples of your inconsistently refer to pleaseisaid's post.

Can you not read?

All of those statements were completely justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thisisapen

I still feel homosexuality (and the rest of queerdom) really takes up too much time in the media and popular culture.

Essentially if we all stopped asking would we really care anymore?

Er, no it doesn't. The vast majority of media out there is about straight people for straight people. When was the last time you saw a major Hollywood movie where the main romance was a gay one and treated exactly like a straight one would be? Or when the queer characters weren't fitted into nice little stereotyped boxes? Or when women kissing wasn't OMG SO HOT while men kissing wasn't treated as EWWW ? I mean, God forbid we make the straight men uncomfortable...

Or do you mean that, say, when two guys get thrown out of a bar in Cork for kissing (when a straight couple can practically ride each other on the dancefloor and no one bats an eyelash), it should be hushed up and the queers should be happy they were let in at all? LGBT people aren't treated as well as straight people and to not speak up about it would mean that nothing would ever change.

thisisapen wrote: »
    Er, no it doesn't. The vast majority of media out there is about straight people for straight people.

the vast majority of people are straight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

the vast majority of people are straight
    You've had your fun, give it a rest.

Advertisement