Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow browser-start up

• 09-04-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hey guys,

recently my browsers have been taking ages to start up - say a good one/two minutes. I've given them full allowances in my firewall so I can't see where the problem might be :(
    Once they get going they're working perfectly and there are no speed issues. I'm sure that it's not a problem with the the wifi connection on my laptop as i haven't switched any settings or changed provider - and it used to work. If I were to pinpoint the point when it started to happen I'd say it was when I installed the latest version of utorrent... (which I've uninstalled now)

That's about all the details I can think of. Would really appreciate the help :)

(mods I wasn't sure where to put this - move elsewhere if this isn't the place)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

Browser start up times will have nothing to do with your internet connection.

Do you use any addons? If you use Firefox, check this website for any addons that you might be using. If you're using a lot, think about removing some that you don't, or rarely, use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is it your browser that slow or the homepage? whats the homepage by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

I'm using a few chrome extensions, but with opera i've none and start up is still slow:(
    Homepage I've just changed to google.com and it took as long to load :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

alois wrote: »
    I'm using a few chrome extensions, but with opera i've none and start up is still slow:(
    Homepage I've just changed to google.com and it took as long to load :/

When was the last time you cleared your cache\defragged the machine?

Is it generally slow for opening applications or just your web browser?

I'd recommend downloading and running ccleaner. It's deadly.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Morpork

Any toolbars? Get rid of them.

A troublesome extension could also be the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

How much ram have you got? How much ram have you got used in task manager? How quickly does notepad or other utilities open?

Just ran ccleaner and it's still the same slow start. I've 4gb and all the other programmes load very quickly.. 1.66 seems to be used atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Check the connection settings on the router - if it is set to 'dial on demand' it can cause this problem as the delay would be due to a connection being established. If this is the case change it to always on and it may solve the issue.

Twas it! Thanks a mil!!!

Advertisement