Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored to tears already ..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

dont know if anyone follows "TotalBiscuit" hes a great commentator on all things wow and was doing Podcasts "Blue Please" years ago. His "Azeroth Daily" videos are great for all wow news.

Anyway he's got a Wow Youtube channel and erm hes quiting too (he may come back), his reason is not boredom but the descision of Blizz to nerf the current raids in 4.2.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

Wonder what you guys think of that? Hes been playing 6 years.

Anyway i think wow has had its day i dont think its worth the sub fee anymore. The last few evenings ive logged to do a random PVP BG and its kinda fun but just not worth it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Scram wrote: »
    dont know if anyone follows "TotalBiscuit" hes a great commentator on all things wow and was doing Podcasts "Blue Please" years ago. His "Azeroth Daily" videos are great for all wow news.

Anyway he's got a Wow Youtube channel and erm hes quiting too (he may come back), his reason is not boredom but the descision of Blizz to nerf the current raids in 4.2.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

Wonder what you guys think of that? Hes been playing 6 years.

Anyway i think wow has had its day i dont think its worth the sub fee anymore. The last few evenings ive logged to do a random PVP BG and its kinda fun but just not worth it anymore.

Listened to TB's podcasts on and off since about the time he started (maybe a few weeks after), and it's not the first time he's quit or cancelled his sub.

He actually has the right idea to, if you are not enjoying a game, any game, and get no fun from it, the best thing you can do is cancel your sub, instead of sitting around complaining about something you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Listened to TB's podcasts on and off since about the time he started (maybe a few weeks after), and it's not the first time he's quit or cancelled his sub.

He actually has the right idea to, if you are not enjoying a game, any game, and get no fun from it, the best thing you can do is cancel your sub, instead of sitting around complaining about something you don't like.

Ok i thought it was a significant thing but since hes left before i guess its just a blip.

the video im talking about;
    http://youtu.be/ndcysuEIqus

Anyway i dont get his reason for leaving, hes sorta pisses that there nerfing stuff in 4.2..but thats what Blizzard always do when a new raid content patch comes out.

Theres a billion reasons he could give better than that just seemed strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Scram wrote: »
    Ok i thought it was a significant thing but since hes left before i guess its just a blip.

the video im talking about;
    http://youtu.be/ndcysuEIqus

Anyway i dont get his reason for leaving, hes sorta pisses that there nerfing stuff in 4.2..but thats what Blizzard always do when a new raid content patch comes out.

Theres a billion reasons he could give better than that just seemed strange.

Because since the release of Wrath, Blizzard have basically ruined the progression system.

Throughout TBC, Guilds of all kinds were still run Karazhan, even after the release of Sunwell, Karazhan always had people raiding it.

However, because of the current system of nerfing the lower tiers so much, people simply can't be arsed to run them anymore and they can usually aquire equal or better gear with less effort, eg the Badge from Heroics in WotLK.

It used to be a good system of start at the basics, and work your way up to the top level content and it was good.

Nowadays Blizzard is willingly catering to the "bad" player base who want to get to the top end content and beat it with minimal effort, instead of taking the time to progress through the game like should be done.

Best example I can think.
    You're playing Final Fantasy VII.
    You get out of Midgar.
    You get sent straight to fight Sephiroth with a full party, best weapons and summons.

You just skipped so much in a game that would be fantastic, if you just spent some time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

Throughout TBC, Guilds of all kinds were still run Karazhan, even after the release of Sunwell, Karazhan always had people raiding it.

I raided BT and raided Sunwell and the only reason I ran Kara was with mates on their alts. I'm struggling to think of guilds that ran Kara while in BT / Sunwell for gear. Kara gear was very much entry level with one or two OP pieces but not enough to warrant it a raid night weekly. When the badge system came in for a couple of resets we ran Kara in one night simply as a badge run quite like Naxx the following expansion. Once people had their main sorted Kara was dead for all progression purposes. Nobody bothered running SSC / TK because it was a 25 man instance and Kara was faceroll for badges. That's the only reason I could think of for a Sunwell guild to run Kara and even that had it's limitations when the odd piece of badge gear was obtained.
    However, because of the current system of nerfing the lower tiers so much, people simply can't be arsed to run them anymore and they can usually aquire equal or better gear with less effort, eg the Badge from Heroics in WotLK.

Anyone casually raiding normal mode instances when the next progression tier is out will be mad to jump into it and abandon the current tier. Anyone in a semi decent guild will have progressed to heroic content a long time ago and still be progressing when the next content tier comes out. The firelands gear is designed to push you towards new content which after 6 months is welcome. The nerfing is for normal mode content, I can't see any tears being shed for nerfing normal mode instances. Some guilds may opt to go back and clear the latter heroic modes which won't be nerfed....yet. The gear shift to obtain almost current gear from heroics is welcome though. Remember that the current VP gear which most people have in abundance even for their OS, will be the JP gear so not a massive difference for existing players but unreal for new players.
    It used to be a good system of start at the basics, and work your way up to the top level content and it was good.

Nowadays Blizzard is willingly catering to the "bad" player base who want to get to the top end content and beat it with minimal effort, instead of taking the time to progress through the game like should be done.

It still is a good system for anyone who sticks with their main character and raids for the entire expansion. The progression path is simple:
    normal dungeon --> heroic dungeon --> normal raid --> heroic raid --> normal raid 2nd tier --> heroic raid 2nd tier etc etc.

I don't think it is catering for a "bad" player by allowing them jump into top end content because they can't just jump in and perform. If you go and hit 85 on a character when firelands is out you won't be jumping straight into firelands after running 3 heroics -- which was the number I ran before my first raid. The badge / gear progression system means you can skip the first raid tier and compete without being carried too much in the next raiding tier and without you spending months and quitting the game. I think it would be difficult to find on any server a group of people willing to follow the classic progression plan mid expansion. From reading realm forums through previous expansions you rarely see a guild forming saying they are looking at raiding all content or starting at the start again.

The old system was also very punishing on guilds in terms of recruitment. I stalled on Kael for 3 months back in TBC because we lost a lot of members and had to go back and gear our raid group. We waited a month in BT to get resistance gear to beat a simple boss. The same thing happened me in Sunwell because of a massive DPS check, we had to go back and do a BT run every single week to gear people up so we could get past Brutallus. The guild I joined at that point was 4 months on him because of member turnover. That's the height of frustration for raiders and real end game content would be reserved for 5% of the WoW population. As it was this expansion we stalled for 2 weeks when a few members left and we geared new ones. 2 weeks Vs 3 months, which would any guild or person prefer? It's 2 weeks now at this point in time but when we are on 4.3 I don't think any guild wants to go back a tier (or two) and spend raid nights gearing up a small portion of the raid group. At least now undergeared players can catch up to just behind their guild progression and not feel alienated.

Anyone looking back on TBC raiding (and Vanilla which I wasn't a part of) does so with rose tinted glasses and probably didn't raid into Sunwell. It's true that the raiding was difficult, you had hard and fast DPS checks, resistance fights and simple raid mechanic fights. What people rarely talk about was the frustration of coordinating 25 people, spending a raid night a week clearing the previous tier to know that you are going to wipe for the next 3 nights because you need at least a months worth of resets to gear your group up. I'd happily take the current badge system and previous tier being stomped out of it any day of the week. At least it means I can see all the normal mode content within a reasonable time span and if I am dedicated enough to raid I will eventually get through the heroic content rather then waiting an expansion to go back and kill an end game boss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement