Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gosafe Van Burnt Out in Inishowen

Options
  • 09-04-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Speed van burnt out in inishowen -Highland

we now have proof they work at night!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I past that van this morning, and just assumed it was an ordinary van.

It was cordoned off and there was a Garda vehicle beside it.

Thats uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Moved posts and started a new thread for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

the vans only purpose is to rob money from you.
    saving lives my arse

digme wrote: »
    the vans only purpose is to rob money from you.
    saving lives my arse

Totally disagree,

I see it pretty much every weekend on a 1/2 mile stretch of road which has seen multiple deaths and countless crashes! Also the road where the van was burnt out is a notorious stretch of road for deaths + accidents, one of them accidents involved 5 deaths! I honestly think they are fairly well placed, i'm yet to see one in a place where they are only there to make money! However the Garda van (white hi-roof transit) sits on the straight stretch of road on the N13 where i've never seen an accident every other weekend!

I think your comment is harsh TBH, anyone who burns out / damages one of these vans and is caught should be done for attempted murder, and what would happen should there be a accident on that stretch of road where the van was burnt out?

Sure wouldn't these vans normally have at least one person in them?

If so, setting fire to them is sheer madness and should be treated with the full force of the law if anyone is caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Anyone who gets caught by one of these vans shouldnt hold a gudge its publicised the roads that there on and its a big van with writing all over it! These vans are exactly what is needed to stop the deaths on our roads!

When you look at the pics of the van its lucky no one was burnt alive, at the end of the day its just someone doing there job

I'm surprised with the mentality of some people that ordinary bank cashiers/workers aren't getting punched in the streets because of the banking crisis:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not excussing the actions for a moment, but there is actually some people who think these vans are not occupied. Totally agree that anyone caught doing this should have the full extent of the law thrown at them. Be that attempted murder or manslaughter, so be it. Ignorance is not an excuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

good to see the community taking initiative on this one

the only scumbags are those operating the vans.

no point in saying "They are just doing there job". it doesn't say much for your profession if you have to hide around corners and in ditches to do your work!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

yourpics wrote: »

no point in saying "They are just doing there job". it doesn't say much for your profession if you have to hide around corners and in ditches to do your work!!

I wouldn't mind having that job and i'd probably take enjoyment in sending tickets to people like you who are so virulently against the vans.

I got a speeding ticket from one of them, but my fault, i was over the limit and paid the price. The figures at the moment show that it costs more to run the vans, than the money they take in in fines.
    If the road death statistics continue to improve and the vans are revenue neutral (will only be shown after a year of operation), then i cant see how anyone could complain about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

thats alright i suppose till one of the operaters dies

:rolleyes:

they're not hidden, the camera signs are clear on the road signs, and these vans can be clearly seen as well.

As I said, I drove past the burnt out van yesterday morning and it was sitting on a straight stretch of road at a gate into a field. It was not hidden behind anything and was clearly visible.

Plus any other vans I have seen over the last few weeks have been just at the side of major 100kph roads, and again not one has been behind anything in any way.

Hey, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Infractions given for both these posts.

Do not post anything of this nature again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Having believed the government hype, when they were introduced, that these vans were going to be used to save lives and not raise revenue, I now believe that to be a pack of lies.

Example 1.

Speed van at the top of the Mountcharles by-pass. To my knowledge there hasn't been a fatality there.
    When vans were first placed there, a Lighted/Neon sign was placed 50/100 yds further down the road to warn motorists... last sunday no warning...

Example 2.

Speed vans placed just past the Killybegs roundabout outside Donegal town. Only fatalities I know of that happened there were caused by tourists driving on the wrong side of the road... somehow I don't think the vans are going to prevent this.

Example 3.

Vans placed near to Super-valu in Killybegs - never in my memory has there been a fatality there.

Example 4.

No vans on the Duel carriage-way where ppl here are giving out about the boy racers having a free for all....

I'd like to know what kind of contract the guys who are operating these vans are on (prob be changed soon to include danger money).. do they get a precentage of any fines they issue? Is this why they are going for the easy targets?

Firblog wrote: »

I'd like to know what kind of contract the guys who are operating these vans are on (prob be changed soon to include danger money).. do they get a precentage of any fines they issue? Is this why they are going for the easy targets?

No they get a basic wage, no bonus' i know someone who was speaking to one of the operators. In case your thinking he was telling porkies (like i did :D) most of the threads in motors here on boards and elsewhere, where someone was talking to operators seem to indicate the same. You do what your boss tells you i suppose.

I tend to disagree, although i cannot disagree with the above places you've mentioned, with your point in general. From what I've seen they are in accident areas around me, and i'm glad to see it and where the van was burnt out is a notorious road for accidents fatalities, I have also i have seen the new silver Garda traffic corps car at the end of the duel carriage-way a few times over this weekend which can only be a good thing, maybe they read boards ha ha!

Senna wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind having that job and i'd probably take enjoyment in sending tickets to people like you who are so virulently against the vans.

I got a speeding ticket from one of them, but my fault, i was over the limit and paid the price. The figures at the moment show that it costs more to run the vans, than the money they take in in fines.
    If the road death statistics continue to improve and the vans are revenue neutral (will only be shown after a year of operation), then i cant see how anyone could complain about them.

u would not be able to send me a ticket because, although i oppose the vans, i do not speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

There was a fatality on the M/Charles bypass. Something involving a tractor, as far as I remember, a couple of years ago.

I have to say that, as a frequent visitor to Donegal, I find these threads about boy racers and burnt-out speed cam vans pretty depressing and off- putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

and i'm glad to see it and where the van was burnt out is a notorious road for accidents fatalities

It was burnt out on a pretty straight stretch....I don't remember any accidents on the part of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭IRISHREDSTAR

Gardai are looking for a vehhhhhiiiicle that goes zoom zoom

• Advertisement

demixed wrote: »
    It was burnt out on a pretty straight stretch....I don't remember any accidents on the part of the road.

I think you might find that the vans will be on the actual road where deaths have occurred i.e. R238, not the actual spot. I think the overall objective is to get people to slow down on a certain road not just a 10 metre stretch.

Gardai are looking for a vehhhhhiiiicle that goes zoom zoom
    That's helpful.

Infraction given and you can go and troll elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I spend a reasonable amount of time in Donegal and let's be honest here the driving, especially of the boy racers, can be pretty rubbish. They seem to be going about this campaign in a very open way so personally I'm for it.

How anyone can condone setting fire to one of these vans with the guy working in it is beyond me. What if the poor fecker fell asleep and was roasted alive.

I've had to delete a load of posts that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, 1 or 2 harmless posts off topic are ok but a full blown off topic conversation isn't.

Gosafe Van Burnt Out in Inishowen

^ ^ There's the topic lads. If you dont want to discuss that then either start a new thread on whatever it is you want to debate or dont post at all.

Simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

The only people who are against the GoSafe vans are the ones who don't want to be caught.

Don't speed, and you don't get fined. It's pretty simple. The excuse (They're just doing it to make money!) is stupid, since they'd need to catch you speeding to fine you, hence you were breaking the law anyway and deserve it.

And the ones who burnt it out should be tried for murder, surely it's common knowledge that they have someone in them?

Thread closed because no-one seems to be able to keep on topic or want to talk about the thread title. If you want to talk about if the Gosafe vans and debate what their main purpose there is a few threads on motors where this is / was discussed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement