Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap fencing option

Options
  • 09-04-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

This is my garden's left wall

picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=9210

It's about 7m long and, as you can see, I have a big problem with next door's ivy coming through. I hate ivy. I got rid of any from my own garden, so I really hate having to deal with my neighbour's stuff.

I was thinking of cutting it right back and putting fence panels up to block it (you can see that it's being held back by some ancient wood pannelling) but, it's just too expensive (I have to save every penny, I'm being made redundant at the end of June).

Does any one have any suggestions for a cheap, effective way to block it from coming through?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Out walking the dogs today I noticed that one of my neighbours was throwing out a load of decking, so two wheelbarrow trips later I think I have enough wood to make a fence. Will post pics when I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Yes, established ivy, especially encroaching and unwanted is very difficult to handle. Building a fence merely raises the bar, the higher up you go, the higher up it too will grow on your fence. Ultimately you too will have to go higher up in order to cut the ivy back.

A low cost option might be to staple wind break to the existing fence. Cheap, cheerful and probably less unsightly than a mixture of adhoc fence extensions might create.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

or

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sonneneblumen, I know that I'll have to trim the ivy coming over the top but compared to stopping it coming through the holes in the wall lopping off the bits that stick over the top will be easy. I'd balk at the idea of windbreak material for a couple of reasons: there's nothing to attach it too, it'd look like I'd stapled a load of sacking to the wall and because the ivy comes through the holes in the wall it'd bulge and probably rip through before long. Second hand decking isn't ideal, I know, but at least it'll be something solid that can be stained or painted, and I have should have enough to completely cover the length of the garden.

Muggyog, Much as I would love to murder this ivy, as I have every scrap of the stuff on my side of the wall, it belongs to my neighbours. In darker hours I've thought of dropping a load of weedkiller over the wall, but they're good neighbours (and they have security lights in their garden).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

If they are good neighbours maybe have a friendly chat with them about it. They might be mortified and not realise it is so rampant. Apart from that you are entitled to cut back whatever is on your side. Again just mention it so there are no crossed wires and ill feeling. After you cut it back it should only need a quick trim late spring and late summer to keep it down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement