Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put a free standing wardrobe on the box in boxroom?

• 09-04-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if I can put a wardrobe on top of the box above the stairs.
    Not going for a built in one it has be a freestanding one.

My question is will the box take the weight of a 5ft by 3ft wardrobe. The top of the box is tiled as it is in a bathroom and we need the extra storage space. Would there be sufficent supports in the structure of the box to take the weight of a wardrobe? Don't want to come home some day to find the wardrobe lying on the stairs and a hole in the ceiling.!!!!

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It kinda all depends on what the box over the stairs is made out of to be honest.

Do you know what its made from?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Its tiled over but I think it was a plywood. Its measure is 100cm by 70 cm if thats of any help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

My carpenter turned my box rom into a 4th bedroom.

He had to strengthen the area and wall over the staris in order to make the bed to fit.

He then made a full length bed that covers the slope of the stairs below,and also made a small shelving/wardrobe unit,that mounted to the wall.

He also built 2 sliding drawers into the side of the bed for even more storage space.:)

A great idea that turned a dull and unused box room into a nice 4th/guest bedroom with clothes strorage/book storage space.The sparks wired 2 x double sockets,1 computer/phone point and a TV point too.

So its can be done with a box room,you just need to work out what is the best way to install stuff and still keep some space to walk in and out and move about.;)

What did he do to strenghten it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ryan T wrote: »
    What did he do to strenghten it

Stripped the box room completely out back to the bare walls and studded frame,double slabbed the slope of the stairs with plasterboard and replastered on the ceiling side of the stairs,then made a frame out of 2 x 4 as a sub base for the bed and also for the wall cabinet/shelving unit where it goes over the sloped area.

The room is also slabbed out/finished off with insulated plasterboard and its like an oven in it,I dont need the rad on the room,as its just that cosy and warm on its own from the heat of the house below rising.:)

• Advertisement

Ok thanks a lot for the advice

Advertisement