Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leylandi problems

Options
  • 09-04-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

I planted golden leylandi's 4 years ago for a hedge. They are now approx 5 feet high. About 3 weeks ago i feed them with chivken manure pellets and trimmed them slightly on the sides and top with a hedgeclippers to tidy them up. Some of them have now turned a reddish colour and look as if they are dying. Is there anything i can do to save them and what is causing this ?:mad::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

I planted golden leylandi's 4 years ago for a hedge. They are now approx 5 feet high. About 3 weeks ago i feed them with chivken manure pellets and trimmed them slightly on the sides and top with a hedgeclippers to tidy them up. Some of them have now turned a reddish colour and look as if they are dying. Is there anything i can do to save them and what is causing this ?:mad::confused:

Believe me they arent dying, I cut 5 feet off the trees in the parents house and they just went brown and then grew again, they are like weeds, you wont kill them that easily. In fact I had to take one out with a digger one day and it took forever, the roots were everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

i hope so . i scrapped a bit of the bark on one of the trees and it was brown underneath, thats not a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Maybe it is not the advice you were looking for but as someone who put these in over 20 yrs ago - I would never let them go over 5 feet if I had the choice. They are a killer to look after when they get any bigger. Turn your back on them and before you know it they have grown another foot or two. I made this mistake and now have to hire a gut with a tractor and hedge cutter twice a year. Kept to 5 or 6 feet and trimmed regularly though they are fine.

Advertisement