Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power brick - Red light.

• 09-04-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

So, I'm just home from town having purchased a new Xbox slim. Go to power the thing up and it won't turn on. Instead, the power brick has a steady red light on it.

Anyone know what is potentially wrong with it or have you had any similar experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Try a different wall socket, if that doesnt work your PSU needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Vicxas wrote: »
    Try a different wall socket, if that doesnt work your PSU needs to be replaced.

Cheers. Damn annoying. Gamestop told me to go back into them if there's a problem in the first month and they'll just change it.

Bloody annoying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

wow never heard of a brick redlight before . your cool as gamestop are brilliant for customer service;)

almanu wrote: »
    wow never heard of a brick redlight before . your cool as gamestop are brilliant for customer service;)

Might just ask them if I can get a new power supply unit instead of a new console altogether because there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the console itself.

I had it running for about 5 minutes and everything seemed fine until the power supply gave way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

That_Guy wrote: »
    Might just ask them if I can get a new power supply unit instead of a new console altogether because there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the console itself.

I had it running for about 5 minutes and everything seemed fine until the power supply gave way.

I'd bring the whole console back - if the PSU is bust right out of the box there's no telling what other things might go wrong with the machine. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Besides, I'm not even sure they'll do that.

PSU Red Lights are common enough, I've had three of them so far though one was my own fault (modded console, bad power borrowing :p)

• Advertisement

I'd bring the whole console back - if the PSU is bust right out of the box there's no telling what other things might go wrong with the machine. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Besides, I'm not even sure they'll do that.

PSU Red Lights are common enough, I've had three of them so far though one was my own fault (modded console, bad power borrowing :p)

Yeah, I'll try get in sometime this week. Grr. Was looking forward to a bit of Crysis 2 at the weekend.

Still, at least the aul PS3 saved me from boredom. :pac:

change the whole dam thing mate , seems like it could have a few mogwies in it , dont feed after dark , dont get wet n all that .:D

change the whole dam thing mate , seems like it could have a few mogwies in it , dont feed after dark , dont get wet n all that .:D

Didn't think I'd see a Gremlins reference in this thread. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tombones

Google "XBOX ring of death".

Tombones wrote: »

I know all about the RROD but that's not the problem I have mate. :)

• Advertisement

Google how to read and reply to posts correctly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I had a red light on my power supply only a few weeks ago. I found if I removed the plugfrom the wall socket and put it back in then it went away...

Couple of weeks later I got RROD. So I wouldn't ignore it. Luckily MS repaired the lot as it was in RROD waranty (3 years)

Since it's brand new, i'd go straight to gamestop and get them to sort it for you
    wow never heard of a brick redlight before

I had a red light on power supply but I found if I removed it from the wall socket and put it back in then it went away...

Couple of weeks later I got RROD. So I wouldn't ignore it. Luckily MS replaced the lot as it was in RROD waranty (3 years)

Since it's brand new, i'd go straight to gamestop and get them to sort it for you

I had talked to a person online about it and they told me to do various things but nothing was rectified.

I'll just head in to Gamestop and get it replaced. Cheers lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Can I recommend you buy this book? http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Speed-Reading-For-Dummies.productCd-0470457449.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

testicle wrote: »

Hmm, if they can't read the post, I'd have my doubts about them managing a full blown book... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 giz_a_job

To everyone who mocked the comment: Google "XBOX ring of death".

If you do look it up, obviously you get all the info of the RROD,
    BUT the power block status lights are included in the trouble-shooting,
    OP did not have RROD, but the guides would tell him what the lights on the block meant.

Go easy, and use the ould heads there lads !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Thats what the light is there for :)

Advertisement