Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level Maths?

• 09-04-2011 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm in 5th year atm and have been doing higher maths for nearly a whole year at this stage. I hate it with a passion. I don't need it for any course I want to do or for points (in fact I'm doing 8 other higher subjects). I spend ages on it everynight trying to do the mountains of homework we get in it. I really want to go to ordinary but everyone keeps telling me not to. Its very frustrating. The thing is I got an A in JCHL maths( which I regret now) and I do good in maths class tests (B/A). however I only got a D in the Christmas exams (my first D ever) because I concentrated more on the subjects I actually need and am going to use for points. Should I stick with hl maths for the rest of the year and purposely fail the summer exams so I'll be let move back or should I try and move to ordinary asap? I feel like I'm missing loads because the ordinary course seems very different. In higher so far we did algebra, coordinate geom, and are doing trig now. Whereas my friends who do pass are doing all things like complex numbers. Will I have a lot to catch up on. Any advice???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

Well if you want to drop down its up to you. Some people say the work is worth it, but if you don't think it is then you can leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Drop down. If you're doing 8 other honours subjects then you don't "need" it for points I'd imagine. It was one of the best school based choices I ever made (that, and not doing TY), Ordinary level is soooo much easier and if you've been doing even pretty well at higher you'll be flying it in ordinary. I've never gotten below a B1 in an ordinary level test and got an A2 in the mocks this year without having to study a huge amount. It'll give you more time to concentrate on you're other (and let's face it, probably easier) higher level subjects too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Thanks for your advice. I think I will definitely drop but I know my teacher will do everything to stop me. My parents say wait for the summer exams and see how you do but for me that's too long and more work to catch up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If you got an A at Junior cert you should be able to manage HL maths pretty well, its all about doing tonnes of practice. Just remember you're giving up all the bonus points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i think its crazy to drop. bonus points the new EASIER course keep going with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I'd drop if I were you. I wish I had dropped in 5th year. I think I've left it to late to drop now but I'm working so hard and I know I'm only going to get a mediocre grade in the subject. You would be better off trying to bring your points in your other subjects up.

Thanks everyone I'm going to do ordinary. To people talking about the bonus points, I appreciate the advice, but you see the best I could possibly manage in Higher would be a D3/D2 which even with the bonus points is only 65/70 whereas in every other subject (Irish, Geography, Business, Biology, Chemistry) I get As and in German and English- As or Bs. So maths (even with the extra points) would be still useless to me pointswise.
    At this stage I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get my maths teacher to let me switch. She's really nice but I just know she's going to keep dissuading me from moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Geo10 wrote: »
    I get As and in German and English- As or Bs. So maths (even with the extra points) would be still useless to me pointswise.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Even if you do get a D3 in higher maths it is 70 or so points with the bonus. That's a C1 in any other subject which is quite good.

Class tests and even Christmas tests are not a sign of your ability so because you get As and Bs now means nothing for June 2012.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Even if you do get a D3 in higher maths it is 70 or so points with the bonus. That's a C1 in any other subject which is quite good.

Class tests and even Christmas tests are not a sign of your ability so because you get As and Bs now means nothing for June 2012.

I know I'm just giving an example. I'm just saying I know there's no way possible in the universe I could ever do better in maths than in any other subject. I'm only need 480 -500 points for what I want to do anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Geo10 wrote: »
    I know I'm just giving an example. I'm just saying I know there's no way possible in the universe I could ever do better in maths than in any other subject. I only need 480 -500 points for what I want to do anyway.

-You still have a year more to do. Trust me.. You won't stay getting As and Bs in everything all the time. If you can pass maths then keep it up, it's not doing any harm.
    -Oh only that much points.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I dropped HL Maths in November as I could not deal with it, took up Economics instead and am flying through it in comparison to the Maths course. The only problem you may have is catching up though i'm sorry to say. My class consists of people who dropped from Higher Level and who got A's in Junior Cert. Ordinary Level and so far we've done (and exam questions)

Paper 1
    Q1. Arithmetic
    Q2. Algebra
    Q3. Algebra
    Q4. Complex Numbers
    Q5. Sequences & Series
    Q6. Functions
    Q7. Differentiation
    Q8. Functions and Graphs

Paper 2
    Q1. Areas & Volumes
    Q2. Co-ordinate Geometry
    Q3. Trigonometry!

:P so it's a lot you know... But you could easily catch up i'd imagine! Best of Luck, Oh and welcome to the beautiful world of Pass Maths! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I dropped down in September and ended up going back up because of the extra points. I wish I'd stayed down in pass. Honours just takes up waaay to much time :mad:. So hopefully I'll be allowed back down in September. So my advice is to drop if you don't need it.

I dropped HL Maths in November as I could not deal with it, took up Economics instead and am flying through it in comparison to the Maths course. The only problem you may have is catching up though i'm sorry to say. My class consists of people who dropped from Higher Level and who got A's in Junior Cert. Ordinary Level and so far we've done (and exam questions)

Paper 1
    Q1. Arithmetic
    Q2. Algebra
    Q3. Algebra
    Q4. Complex Numbers
    Q5. Sequences & Series
    Q6. Functions
    Q7. Differentiation
    Q8. Functions and Graphs

Paper 2
    Q1. Areas & Volumes
    Q2. Co-ordinate Geometry
    Q3. Trigonometry!

:P so it's a lot you know... But you could easily catch up i'd imagine! Best of Luck, Oh and welcome to the beautiful world of Pass Maths! :D

Wow that's a lot!!! I'm going to try and drop this week so I can get started catching up over Easter! I'm also doing a subject outside school (Business) and am flying it. It takes me the same length if time to do one page of honours maths as 20 pages of business!! I might get catch up grinds of my neighbour who gave me grinds for the JC in maths if that's how far pass classes are

Advertisement