Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism Is Alive And Well In Midleton

Options
  • 09-04-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Opened my front door today and was confronted with this:

picture.php?albumid=1661&pictureid=9212

While I have no interest or love for the British monarchy I found the racist undertones quite distasteful. I thought this stuff mostly went on north of the border these days.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Political statement, no racism there

You forgot the smilie from your post as I know you can't be serious :)
    Cork knows more about the Black & Tans then most of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

are they referring to liz or norris?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

line6 wrote: »
    are they referring to liz or norris?

Now thats homophobic:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Do you know what racism is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Its only caucasian queens we allow in Midleton

Cant stand those black ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

They made a balls of the sign anyway i read it NO NO BLACK TAN QUEEN??

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

jhegarty wrote: »
    Do you know what racism is ?

Prejudice based on nationality or race. I assume that the Swedish queen would not get the same welcome. Like I say I am not in the least interested in the monarchy. The guards had the sign taken down in a matter of hours from what I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

wispyman wrote: »
    Prejudice based on nationality or race. I assume that the Swedish queen would not get the same welcome. Like I say I am not in the least interested in the monarchy. The guards had the sign taken down in a matter of hours from what I understand.

It's because she is the queen people don't want her, not because of her race.

Someone who is racist wouldn't want any English people here.

Where the people who didn't want Bush to visit racist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wrongly titled threads alive and well in the cork city forum :D

In fairness they put it in a stupid location too, if they really wanted to make a point they should have put it on the fly over or something, you know........where a decent volume of people would actually see it

Idiots

jhegarty wrote: »
    It's because she is the queen people don't want her, not because of her race.

Someone who is racist wouldn't want any English people here.

Where the people who didn't want Bush to visit racist ?

Well Bush has pro-actively annoyed a hell of a lot of people in recent times so it would hardly be a surprise that people got upset. The British queen is a decorative ornament that is about as political as Jedward!!

I would have to ask the person who erected the sign as to how far reaching his/her motives extend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's that second no that gets me. Really makes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Idiots will be idiots - don't get how that indicates "racism is alive and well in Midleton".

Dudess wrote: »
    Idiots will be idiots - don't get how that indicates "racism is alive and well in Midleton".

Well in my view the "black and tan" bit is a swipe at Brits - but maybe that's just me. All I can say is it was offensive to me - I cannot speak for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Racism thread FAIL.
    Well in my view the "black and tan" bit is a swipe at Brits

Do you even know who the black and tans were?

aphex™ wrote: »
    Racism thread FAIL.

Do you even know who the black and tans were?

I feel how I feel. If you all feel that I'm wrong fine but don't lecture me on how it felt to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Its only caucasian queens we allow in Midleton

Cant stand those black ones

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

burning of cork? if it offended you then you must surely be english and if so, shhh about signs we can do what we like in this country nowadays you know. if your not english then...why are you offended? its very hard to reply to such a retarded thread without getting infracted!

I feel how I feel. If you all feel that I'm wrong fine but don't lecture me on how it felt to me.

I think you need to google black and tans. How the fúck do you think people felt when the black and tans arrived in Ireland?

burning of cork? if it offended you then you must surely be english and if so, shhh about signs we can do what we like in this country nowadays you know. if your not english then...why are you offended? its very hard to reply to such a retarded thread without getting infracted!

Here we go - the trolls rise up out of the gutter.

I think you need to google black and tans. How the fúck do you think people felt when the black and tans arrived in Ireland?

Sorry how is that my fault exactly? Yes I am not at all proud of English history in relation to Ireland in case your wondering but I cannot change what other people did almost 100 years ago.

• Advertisement

Sorry how is that my fault exactly? Yes I am not at all proud of English history in relation to Ireland in case your wondering but I cannot change what other people did almost 100 years ago.

Well the Queen hasn't apologized for it AFAIK. That's the point in the sign. And yes, she should apologise for it. They apologise for many things in the past and still issue pardons for things that went on in WW2 etc etc

You've missed the point completely. Thread FAIL.

Here we go - the trolls rise up out of the gutter.

i have quite a few posts on boards and am well established in motors and cycling forums here, you my friend have few posts. get your head out of the gutter. this is IRELAND, we are IRISH. we feel how we feel, you feel how you feel. that is fair enough, but dont come on here saying its racism? in fact, such a ridiculous thread title and OP suggests a troll in my eyes

Well the Queen hasn't apologized for it AFAIK. That's the point in the sign. And yes, she should apologise for it. They apologise for many things in the past and still issue pardons for things that went on in WW2 etc etc

You've missed the point completely. Thread FAIL.

Like the queen is going to see that sign at all. So only people who have NOTHING to do with what went on all those years ago will see that. Its a sad fact you cannot avenge the wrongs when all the aggressors are long dead.

I was not given the choice of country I was born in and once again let me state that I feel totally ashamed of the whole Black and Tans saga.

i have quite a few posts on boards and am well established in motors and cycling forums here, you my friend have few posts. get your head out of the gutter. this is IRELAND, we are IRISH. we feel how we feel, you feel how you feel. that is fair enough, but dont come on here saying its racism? in fact, such a ridiculous thread title and OP suggests a troll in my eyes

I love this posting count pi55ing competition that people operate on boards - trolling of the highest order....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Like the queen is going to see that sign at all. So only people who have NOTHING to do with what went on all those years ago will see that. Its a sad fact you cannot avenge the wrongs when all the aggressors are long dead.

I was not given the choice of country I was born in and once again let me state that I feel totally ashamed of the whole Black and Tans saga.

If you are ashamed about the B and T's, how are you offended by a sign about them?

Rodin wrote: »
    If you are ashamed about the B and T's, how are you offended by a sign about them?

Because they are long gone and modern day Brits are being tarred with the same brush. Its like you have a brother who murders a child and the whole family are exiled from society.

There is a lot of anger in this thread which in my view has no home to go to. All the aggressors are long dead - its a frustration I know but you cannot change that.

Because they are long gone and modern day Brits are being tarred with the same brush. Its like you have a brother who murders a child and the whole family are exiled from society.

There is a lot of anger in this thread which in my view has no home to go to. All the aggressors are long dead - its a frustration I know but you cannot change that.

You think British aggressors in foreign lands are 'long gone'?

I love this posting count pi55ing competition that people operate on boards - trolling of the highest order....

ok buddy ok. you enjoy yourself now!

Well said.

Mr Deutschlandfürimmer7 is far from a troll.

Just because someone reckons a thread is retarded it does not make them a troll, this one should be in ranting and raving or something anyway.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Well said.

Mr Deutschlandfürimmer7 is far from a troll.

Just because someone reckons a thread is retarded it does not make them a troll, this one should be in ranting and raving or something anyway.

I'm not sure English classifies as a race anyway. As I see it, it is one of the most heterogenous countries in the world, with citizens from all four corners of the globe, of all types and colours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement