Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism Is Alive And Well In Midleton

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

wispyman wrote:
    Prejudice based on nationality or race.

The former is xenophobia, the latter racism.
    wispyman wrote: »
    Well in my view the "black and tan" bit is a swipe at Brits - but maybe that's just me. All I can say is it was offensive to me - I cannot speak for other people.

Agreed. People who say the message is more subtle are giving the sign writer too much credit. It's like a sign being erected reading "Go home IRA bomber president" when an Irish president is visiting the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

aphex™ wrote: »
    Well the Queen hasn't apologized for it AFAIK. That's the point in the sign. And yes, she should apologise for it. They apologise for many things in the past and still issue pardons for things that went on in WW2 etc etc

You've missed the point completely. Thread FAIL.

So should the Irish Government apologise for the atrocities our people committed across North America and Australia?

Because guess what, a sickeningly large amount of those people were murdered by the Irish, but when was the last time you saw the Irish offer an apology for it.

This hatred for the Queen is both sad and depressing, based on a conflict that ended decades before most of us were born.

Just let this sad pathetic hatred go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Because guess what, a sickeningly large amount of those people were murdered by the Irish, but when was the last time you saw the Irish offer an apology for it.

Have you any links for examples where the Irish State killed people in US & AU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

So should the Irish Government apologise for the atrocities our people committed across North America and Australia?

This hatred for the Queen is both sad and depressing, based on a conflict that ended decades before most of us were born.

Just let this sad pathetic hatred go.

The conflict has ended? When exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

OP you need to go back and have a look at some history, and a dictionary.

While I don't agree with the sign, Its clear those who erected it are far from bright, There is still a large part of the country that feel England, their Government, and their Monarchy have a lot to answer for. Weather we like to admit it or not they have been responsible for 1000's of deaths in this country (Millions if we look at the famine).

I would like to think that Irish people have no resentment to the English, but that is not true of their institutions. Namely the Monarchy, Army and Government. I have many English friends, some in the army, and I have spoken to a couple of high ranking people in British Offices. I have no issue with them but I do not agree with the actions (past and present) of their offices/institutions. That does not make me racist.

The British have been responsible for some fairly heinous acts (war crimes) in this country, an apology might be in order.

based on a conflict that ended decades before most of us were born.

A couple decade is a very short time. If we look at as I was growing up I spent time with my Great Grandfather who was dragged out of bed a night and threatened to be shot.. Both of my Great Grandfathers died with full military honors for fighting the British. It is totally idiotic to belief we should forget the past.

• Advertisement

SandStone wrote: »
    The former is xenophobia, the latter racism.

Agreed. People who say the message is more subtle are giving the sign writer too much credit. It's like a sign being erected reading "Go home IRA bomber president" when an Irish president is visiting the UK.

There's f*** all subtlety in that message! I doubt the culprit knows what subtlety is

Rodin wrote: »
    The conflict has ended? When exactly?

The conflict going on between the Irish and British.

The War in the North is a civil war between Catholicism and Protestants, as well as some people wanting to be a part of Britain and others part of the Republic of Ireland.

The actual War between the people of Ireland and Britain ended upon the creation of the Free State, everything after that has been separate.

At no point since the creation of the Free State have the Republic of Ireland and Britain been at War, therefore, the conflict ended.

p.s. if we did go to War, we'd lose.

Have you any links for examples where the Irish State killed people in US & AU?

Not currently, simply because I am literally about to go on a night out, however I can provide some for you tomorrow assuming I remember.

As a quick comment, I lived in Australia for quite a long time, and had a lot of Aboriginal friends, all of whom had Irish names, not English, Welsh or Scottish.

Remember, it was the Irish who went to Australia (often as convicts) and set up new towns and cities, it just happens the British were in charge.

Feel free to read up on it, it's actually quite fascinating if you have any interest in History, and it is covered in Australian High School History classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The War in the North is a civil war between Catholicism and Protestants, as well as some people wanting to be a part of Britain and others part of the Republic of Ireland.

The actual War between the people of Ireland and Britain ended upon the creation of the Free State, everything after that has been separate.

At no point since the creation of the Free State have the Republic of Ireland and Britain been at War, therefore, the conflict ended.

p.s. if we did go to War, we'd lose.

Actually British troops occupied land claimed by the Republic of Ireland until the Good Friday agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I don't think many want to be part of Britain; they want to remain part of the United Kingdom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Not currently, simply because I am literally about to go on a night out, however I can provide some for you tomorrow assuming I remember.

Grand, just make sure the examples you find are committed by the Irish State. Not random Irish people. The Queen as in the OP is visiting as head of state. The black and tans were given orders by the UK.

???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Irish going to Aus was't really an official Irish government action. It was more like the British forcibly banishing Irish people to the end of the earth.

But good luck with your search to find example of where the Irish state has invaded countries. It will be interesting.

Opened my front door today and was confronted with this:

picture.php?albumid=1661&pictureid=9212

While I have no interest or love for the British monarchy I found the racist undertones quite distasteful. I thought this stuff mostly went on north of the border these days.

Your front door is a bit close to the roadside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

there is a sign that looks very similar to this one on the road from cobh aswell, it says "no queen in cobh" or something similar,
    i dont think the queen was/is heading to cobh or midleton,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I don't know what the big issue is let her come i don't care to be honest.

It's not going to bother me

No point getting upset over the Queen coming,to me she means nothing.

I won't be going to see her anyway.

People are entitled to have issue with her coming here,thats their choice i won't disagree with them

bladebrew wrote: »
    there is a sign that looks very similar to this one on the road from cobh aswell, it says "no queen in cobh" or something similar,
    i dont think the queen was/is heading to cobh or midleton,

Is Cobh not also called Queenstown ? :pac:
    dave1982 wrote: »
    They made a balls of the sign anyway i read it NO NO BLACK TAN QUEEN??

There is a + between the words Black and Tan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Strangely, I notice "Queen" isn't one of the race options on my census, must have gotten a dud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

OP count yourself lucky there was only a small sign outside your door.
    Pop into the city and you'll be greeted with this on Daunt's Square.

184932_153025531423151_100001471162895_329244_2963802_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Oh yes it is, road closures for days as secret service sweep the route, traffic delays for hours as roads are closed 'unexpectedly' due to a tip off phone call.

Restriction of movement and maybe confinement in your housing estate. The issuance of resident passes to go to the shops, the cinema, work or home again.

I'll effect everyone within about a 25 mile radius of anywhere she goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I don't know what the big issue is let her come i don't care to be honest.

No point getting upset over the Queen coming,to me she means nothing.

I won't be going to see her anyway.

People are entitled to have issue with her coming here,thats their choice i won't disagree with them

Well said, I don't mind her coming over here, In fact I might head into town and welcome her.
    Now if it was Margaret Thatcher coming over I'd have a very different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

They made a balls of the sign anyway i read it NO NO BLACK TAN QUEEN??

Sounds like lyrics from an Abba song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OP, as I said, it's just idiots being idiots - don't let it get to you. They don't speak for the majority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

What is it with people going out of their way to be offended by things that aren't offensive? It's not racist in the slightest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just a thought ... if what the British did to our ancestors (Recent and distant) is unforgiveable and demands an apology ... surely we should be at the Nordic countries too for what the Vikings did to us straight afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

gbee wrote: »
    Oh yes it is, road closures for days as secret service sweep the route, traffic delays for hours as roads are closed 'unexpectedly' due to a tip off phone call.

Restriction of movement and maybe confinement in your housing estate. The issuance of resident passes to go to the shops, the cinema, work or home again.

I'll effect everyone within about a 25 mile radius of anywhere she goes.

Stop, in the horrors as my sister is getting married the 20th May. If she comes that day we are fecked as we going from one side of the city to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 riskyOz

Grand, just make sure the examples you find are committed by the Irish State. Not random Irish people. The Queen as in the OP is visiting as head of state. The black and tans were given orders by the UK.

I can certainly remember the Irish Goverment giving the IRA arms during the 80's. Furthermore, will the Irish apologize for maintaining relations with the Nazis during WW2.

Or maybe they may apologize for the inadequate security that the Queen’s own Uncle had prior to his murder in Sligo. If the Queen had to apologize to Ireland, poor old Angela Merkel would be able to leave her sitting room without apologizing. People seem to forget that the free state army were just as brutal as the tans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 riskyOz

cork45 wrote: »
    OP count yourself lucky there was only a small sign outside your door.
    Pop into the city and you'll be greeted with this on Daunt's Square.

184932_153025531423151_100001471162895_329244_2963802_n.jpg
    Thats's very ironic coming from hardline republicans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Opened my front door today and was confronted with this:

picture.php?albumid=1661&pictureid=9212

While I have no interest or love for the British monarchy I found the racist undertones quite distasteful. I thought this stuff mostly went on north of the border these days.

yes. Racism. terrible stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Good lord above that really is the stupidest small minded 'sign' If I ever saw one. Probably done by some cabbage farmer that doesn't really know how to spell so had to ask his 11 year old kid.

'Now, she'd better not come onto midleton turf or she'll have this sign to answer to'

Can't believe this thread actually got serious :rolleyes::D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement