Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiology & Health Science CW106

• 09-04-2011 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

Hey I was just wondering is there anyone on Boards who's doing this course? I've searched the forum but with the new search feature only ~5 threads came up each over three years old.

If there's anyone who has done it/is doing it, is it really hard to get into occupational therapy after doing it? And if so, do you have to go to the UK to do it?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Anyone? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'm not on that specific course, but have quite a few friends doing it and I'm doing something similar myself. Trying to get into OT after the 2 year cert would be made alot easier if you got good final results in your exams, and if you apply yourself. Trying to do it in England etc through UCAS would not be any easier than trying to do it in Trinity, NUIG or UCC as their college population is high too.

I'm not on that specific course, but have quite a few friends doing it and I'm doing something similar myself. Trying to get into OT after the 2 year cert would be made alot easier if you got good final results in your exams, and if you apply yourself. Trying to do it in England etc through UCAS would not be any easier than trying to do it in Trinity, NUIG or UCC as their college population is high too.

Sorry, I'm just a bit confused by the end bit.

What do you mean by applying myself? Isn't that the only way of applying? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Oh sorry about that...I meant have a healthy interest in the course, put effort into the projects/assignments etc. As you can imagine, if you wanted to progress to OT, the colleges you apply to will only accept those with good potential :)

Oh sorry about that...I meant have a healthy interest in the course, put effort into the projects/assignments etc. As you can imagine, if you wanted to progress to OT, the colleges you apply to will only accept those with good potential :)

Oh, I thought you meant reapplying with the leaving cert or something, sorry about that! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 AlliLouise

the only way as far as im sure is to go to the UK, the course is really well known in the UK a lot of people from IT Carlow get accepted to the UK during my year it seemed easier to get into occupational therapy than physiotherapy in the UK. Liverpool were very generous in offereing OT to students.

you can also apply to Belfast, its harder to get into but is possible, you need to do a HPATH, but its not necessarily decided upon how well you do on the HPATH. As far as i know, thats the only option in Ireland, if your not a mature student.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Power21

Hi,
    I did one year of the cert (and had to leave for personal reasons), but I loved it!
    So interesting and diverse and fun aswell.

With regards to going on to do OT, the majority of students who complete the cert go on to the UK and study Physio, OT, Dietetics, etc...
    You apply to UCAS in November of second year and after this you will have to go for interview, if you are successful they will offer you a place with no conditions or in most cases, a place with the condition that you obtain a 70/75% avg in your second year finals.

My class recently received their results and nearly all that applied for the UK or Northern Ire are looking for currently looking for accommodation!
    This course is very well recognised by the colleges and Unis in the UK.

Hope this helps

Power21 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I did one year of the cert (and had to leave for personal reasons), but I loved it!
    So interesting and diverse and fun aswell.

With regards to going on to do OT, the majority of students who complete the cert go on to the UK and study Physio, OT, Dietetics, etc...
    You apply to UCAS in November of second year and after this you will have to go for interview, if you are successful they will offer you a place with no conditions or in most cases, a place with the condition that you obtain a 70/75% avg in your second year finals.

My class recently received their results and nearly all that applied for the UK or Northern Ire are looking for currently looking for accommodation!
    This course is very well recognised by the colleges and Unis in the UK.

Hope this helps

Thanks a million. :) That helps a LOT! :D

Sorry I meant to ask..

when you go to the UK, do you take on the course as an undergrad or postgrad?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Snibbles

Hi
    You can also access OT via University of Limerick if you have a degree already. It is a two year programme. For the UK, you could apply to either undergrad or postgrad if you do the course in Carlow

• Advertisement

In the UK you will be doing a 3 or 4 year undergrad course!
    If you stayed on and completed the degree in Sports Rehab you could apply for a pre-registration masters in Physio in the UK which is two years long but I don't know if there is anything similar for OTs, I wouldn't think so as OT is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Snibbles

In the UK you will be doing a 3 or 4 year undergrad course!
    If you stayed on and completed the degree in Sports Rehab you could apply for a pre-registration masters in Physio in the UK which is two years long but I don't know if there is anything similar for OTs, I wouldn't think so as OT is completely different.

There are lots of OT masters "entry-level" postgraduate programmes in UK same as in UL here. They're 2 year programmes, but you need a degree to apply for them. For example, Queen Margaret in Edinburgh, Northumbria in Newcastle, Brunel in Middlesex, etc

Fantastic, sorted so Noel2k9 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dancernice

Hi, thinking of doing this course and just wondering if there are certain uk colleges or universities which you have apply to after completion of this course or do all the uk colloges universities accept it?

all UK colleges accept it. there a loads to choose from its very well recognised in the UK some are harder to get into than others but you'll be told all that when it comes to making the decision. the course director is brilliant she really helps you out and does everything she can to try make sure everyone gets a place in college after the 2 years. :)

AlliLouise wrote: »
    all UK colleges accept it. there a loads to choose from its very well recognised in the UK some are harder to get into than others but you'll be told all that when it comes to making the decision. the course director is brilliant she really helps you out and does everything she can to try make sure everyone gets a place in college after the 2 years. :)

Thats great , thanks for the quick reply, cao offers tomorrow so lots of thinking to be done,not sure whether to do a general science degree or this course, by any chance do you know if there is a restricted number of people in which UK colleges/universities accept a year with this course?

dancernice wrote: »
    Thats great , thanks for the quick reply, cao offers tomorrow so lots of thinking to be done,not sure whether to do a general science degree or this course, by any chance do you know if there is a restricted number of people in which UK colleges/universities accept a year with this course?

there is no restricted number. its like the CAO but its called UCAS, you apply to whatever college you want you get 5 choices. the colleges will then tell you they want give you an offer, you may be offered an unconditional place on the course which is you have your place and no need to worry you dont need to do anything, others will make you a conditional offer, some conditions easier than others like just get garda clearance or get better than a 40% average on your course. whereas some colleges request 70% or 80% averages. Also Belfast requires a HPATH.

If you have any queries about the course you can PM, when i did my leaving cert i didnt know what i wanted to do and did physiology because it leads on to so many careers in the health profession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I got accepted into Physiology and Health Science after missing out on Physio. I'm just wondering if anyone else on here is doing it? Do ye have any idea what our timetable is like and how many hours a week we have?

Thanks.

In first year I had around 25 hours, I know some subjects have changed since I did it but I'm sure it's roughly the same!
    I have a course overview if you would like me to mail it to you.

In first year I had around 25 hours, I know some subjects have changed since I did it but I'm sure it's roughly the same!

If you could email the course overview to me it would be great thanks. :)

• Advertisement

Just wondering if it would be possible for you to email it to me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 **rainbowcake**

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hey I was just wondering is there anyone on Boards who's doing this course? I've searched the forum but with the new search feature only ~5 threads came up each over three years old.

If there's anyone who has done it/is doing it, is it really hard to get into occupational therapy after doing it? And if so, do you have to go to the UK to do it?

Thanks..

Hi Noel

I did the 2 year Higher Cert in Physiology and Health Science and had no luck getting into the UK, it is a lot harder to get into any of the Health Science courses in the UK due to free fees but it is possible as some of my classmates are going over to study Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy etc.

Luckily I got offered a place in UCC for Occupational Therapy as a mature student for this year and the previous 2 years in Carlow helped with my Interview and getting a place. So there's always other pathways to get the course you want.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 **rainbowcake**

NotExactly wrote: »
    I got accepted into Physiology and Health Science after missing out on Physio. I'm just wondering if anyone else on here is doing it? Do ye have any idea what our timetable is like and how many hours a week we have?

Thanks.

I have just completed 2 years in Physiology and Health Science and I had 26 hours in Year 1 and 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taptap22

Hi
    Does anyone know if this course can lead to radiography in university of ulster and if so how hard is it to be accepted?

Really need help.

taptap22 wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone know if this course can lead to radiography in university of ulster and if so how hard is it to be accepted?

Really need help.

I'm currently in 1st year of this course.Yes this course leads to both of the above courses in University Ulster,that Uni is quite difficult to get into it, don't quote me on this but you'll probably need a 70-75% average from first year. For Physio you'll have to do a HPAT for UNI of Ulster as well, i'm not sure about radiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taptap22

Thanks how hard it would be to get that average?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

Does this course help for radiography? Or is it mainly based for physio and OT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sean Cawley

Phone the School of science office ask to speak to the course director.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 400

Just finished 2nd year exams in this course yesterday! And yes you can get into radiography from this course. This year people have applied for radiography, physio, OT and speech and language and you can also apply to get into Sports Rehab. To get into UU you need to do the HPAT and then if you're successful they will offer you an offer with an average of 75% in your second year exams. About 10 people sat the HPAT this year and I think maybe 3 got an offer from them. Do not think for one second that this course is a level 6 course and that it will be a walk in the park. It's tough going at times trying to get your averages but it is worth it!

I couldn't recommend the course enough! A lot of it is sports based which some people didn't expect because it's ran along side Sports Rehab and Sports Science. Any other qs I'd be happy to help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement