Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Build or not to Build? [boards.ie server]

• 09-04-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Earlier today, I found this place on the map which was earlier discovered by Morbert. BlandKitten, iAirBiscuit and Cherryghost later arrived to check it out. We, were amazed :O 'effing brilliant, perfect for building a new town, but also too beautiful to build, hence the reason I'm posing this poll, should we build something there? Or turn it into the "Boards.ie National Park"?

Pictures:
    f39lvr.jpg

2v36f5l.jpg

21oq26q.jpg

2d4b2a.jpg

*More pics yet to be uploaded*

To Build or not to Build? 28 votes

Build
    0% 0 votes
    Don't Build
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

`Did the Minecraft graphics improve since Alpha?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭NeosDex

Its the texture pack, and some photoshoppery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

A town carved into the cliff would be pretty cool i think.

A town carved into the cliff would be pretty cool i think.

Thats what Cherry suggested, it would look cool alright, we'll have to see where the poll goes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

I think it would be better to build "next" to the natural landscape. It's already beautiful and artificial changes to could ruin it. I think people should definitely know about it (I am willing to give up my mine and turn it into a visitor center or something), but we don't have to plonk our houses on top of it. I've been enjoying the place since I started, and have managed to keep it untouched. I'm sure others can do the same.

[edit]- Heh, as an aside, this was the reason behind my earlier post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71503964&postcount=661

I really think it would be a shame to see it altered. Sometimes even a random seed can produce great things.

• Advertisement

Morbert wrote: »
    I think it would be better to build "next" to the natural landscape. It's already beautiful and artificial changes to could ruin it. I think people should definitely know about it (I am willing to give up my mine and turn it into a visitor center or something), but we don't have to plonk our houses on top of it. I've been enjoying the place since I started, and have managed to keep it untouched. I'm sure others can do the same.

If "Build" were to be the winner then we'd decide on what to build, I agree that if people were allowed to build freely, we'll end up with a valley full of ****e. I'm gonna add the 3rd option of "Building Underground" now Can't seem to edit the poll, sorry D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

I wouldn't object to building underground. When we're tallying up the poll, you can discount my "Don't build" vote and put it in "Build underground" instead.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think a natural wooden or smooth stone town in the cliffsides would be cool, and one bridge to link the canyon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Passive house I think would be good (i.e. dirt, wood, smooth stone) On either the floor or the top.

But I would rather dig into the cliffs and use glass to show where your houses are.

OFF-TOPIC: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/tp-multihome-v0-5-2-multiple-personal-named-home-locations-617.10959/
    This would make the valley a better prospect, to be able to teleport directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

That floating island in the last picture has been claimed by me!

...I even have a torch on it :P

• Advertisement

Also just to let people know i've been clearing an underground cavern to make an underground city if anyones interested. The entrance is south of my mansion and is in a hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I voted for build but I think it should be set into the mountain with materials matching the enviroment like Cherry etc. said. No castles/towers or the like. The buildings should only be visible when you actually go into the valley to keep it looking natural:)

Also just to let people know i've been clearing an underground cavern to make an underground city if anyones interested. The entrance is south of my mansion and is in a hill.

Under the area? (Btw we need a name for this place)

NeosDex wrote: »
    Under the area? (Btw we need a name for this place)

No not the place in your OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Also I have the foundations laid for a fishing village a Good ways away from spawn. 14 plots currently available for building but I'm hoping to get a common theme settled first (nordic? Viking-esque, with a large communal town hall and small houses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

whther we build it or not we need to get a path towards it so people can get there be it to see the town or just the scenery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Floating mountains of Pandora?

hardCopy wrote: »
    Floating mountains of Pandora?

Well there's only one floating island, and Bland has "claimed" it, thats if "Build" wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Is this a good bit north east of the main town? It looks very familiar but I'm not sure.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Is this a good bit north east of the main town? It looks very familiar but I'm not sure.

South east of the spawn actually :P

EDIT: Here's a map

2wda4p2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

You could always destroy a bit under to make another floating island :)

We should make a skywalk like in the Grand Canyon. If yes to build, Ill build the skywalk.

Also change mine to build when u tally them up

Xenon560 wrote: »
    You could always destroy a bit under to make another floating island :)

We should make a skywalk like in the Grand Canyon. If yes to build, Ill build the skywalk.

Also change mine to build when u tally them up

Can't seem to edit any part of the poll at all D: Seems like its going to be "build" that wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I've gone with build but it'll have to be in a very unobtrusive way. Maybe make some parts of it protected so nobody can build there. Then we could set out the only type of materials that can be used etc as already stated.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I've gone with build but it'll have to be in a very unobtrusive way. Maybe make some parts of it protected so nobody can build there. Then we could set out the only type of materials that can be used etc as already stated.

If build were to win(which looks very likely atm) Then we'd have to decide WHAT to build, You won't be able to waltz in there and start building willy nilly, there needs be guidelines... and an idea of what to build(Leaning more towards Cherry's idea)

Yh, like a Skywalk, built by me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Cherry's is the best idea. We'd need to keep strict guidelines though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Rivendale?

LeavingRivendale.jpg

Or else, I say we cover it with dynamite and all gather for a fireworks display that will crash the server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Ewok village tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The plot thickens. Almost a mirror copy was found in the complete opposite direction to the paradise you found, only this is winter themed. It also has free flowing lava on the side as you can see

One side:
    155197.JPG

Other side:
    155198.JPG

There's a turnoff point halfway down (where the lava is, which leads into a smaller canyon, where I can see someone built a stairs as far as the canyon floor but didn't go any further!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

The plot thickens. Almost a mirror copy was found in the complete opposite direction to the paradise you found, only this is winter themed. It also has free flowing lava on the side as you can see
    .1) Co ordinates please?
    .2) Can we build there?

Botulism wrote: »
    .1) Co ordinates please?
    .2) Can we build there?

1) I'll post when I'm back online. It's off the current rendered map either way.
    2) Yes, but only for my idea on the other one :P Build a city into the cliff faces! What do you think?

We shouldnt allow building for either one yet.

Yeah cherry a platform coming our of a cliff with a town, with bridges going to other cliff faces would be beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Xenon560 wrote: »
    We shouldnt allow building for either one yet.

Yeah cherry a platform coming our of a cliff with a town, with bridges going to other cliff faces would be beast.

Definitely needs to be a group project though, dont want people running off and taking up one whole cliff for their pad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

I say level the place and build an Ikea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Teg Veece wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Teg Veece wrote: »

Flat-pack picks at reasonable prices?

Or this

Cliff_City_by_krazykrista.jpg

hare05 wrote: »
    Or this

:O That'd be cool for the huge sand biome South west of spawn :D Seems more suited to be build out of Sandstone/sand the way the picture is coloured.

Ok, so we've got 2 "Eden's" .... one a winter theme the other a forest theme(Just realized this wont matter 'cause of the weather update, so both places will vary in terms of temperature) Ok to distinguish, one has lava, the other has water. How far is lava canyon(temp name for the time being) in relation to lets say... water canyon :S

Advertisement