Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i s p c a

• 09-04-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi im just wondering if anyone has ever call in an animal cruelty complaint to the ISPCA and was anything done?

I am considering calling about a woman i know who has a sheepdog that i know shes not taking care of. The dogs fed on scraps she is skin and bone, shes so friendly and such a dote. I popped in for a visit last week and the dog and limping and wimpering. When i asked what happed the owner said the dog had gotten a slap of a car and her leg was broken.

When i said "Did you bring her to the vet" she laughed and said "Im not wasting my money on no vet"

If i call the ISPCA will they take this dog ? The woman couldnt give two hoots about her. I offered to take the dog to the vet and pay for it and was told "No leave her it wont kill her":mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi OP, that's horrible the poor dog. I reported a guy I seen kicking the crap out of his dog. The guy was cycling with the dogs lead attached to handlebars, dog swerved to avoid a puddle and guy fell off his bike. I was driving past and seen it all so turned when I could, followed him home and reported to the ISPCA.

Got a call the next day asking for directions that they were gonna follow it up. Never heard what happened but seen him shortly after that with the dog so I guess nothing.

He was wearing a kickboxing club hoody:rolleyes:

I would report it though, they can take the dog them if there are obvious signs of neglect/cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Please, please report her. That's awful :( It breaks my heart to hear stories like this. I've reported someone to the ISPCA once and they took the dog off the man. I never found out what happened to the dog after, whether he was rehomed or put to sleep but it couldn't have been any worse than what the poor thing went through with that man. So on my one experience with them they worked fast and took the dog. I've heard of lots of bad experiences with them too though unfortunately.

Please call them regarding this dog. It sounds like the dog only has you to save her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Do report it, you might aswell try. The poor dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

Please call the ISPCA and the Gardai. You are the only hope this poor fur baby has. This woman sounds like a heartless b**ch. She thinks her dog has a broken leg and finds it amusing. :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

Hi im just wondering if anyone has ever call in an animal cruelty complaint to the ISPCA and was anything done?

I am considering calling about a woman i know who has a sheepdog that i know shes not taking care of. The dogs fed on scraps she is skin and bone, shes so friendly and such a dote. I popped in for a visit last week and the dog and limping and wimpering. When i asked what happed the owner said the dog had gotten a slap of a car and her leg was broken.

When i said "Did you bring her to the vet" she laughed and said "Im not wasting my money on no vet"

If i call the ISPCA will they take this dog ? The woman couldnt give two hoots about her. I offered to take the dog to the vet and pay for it and was told "No leave her it wont kill her":mad:

You shouldnt be posting on here you should be on the phone to the ISPCA. Please ring now! Poor dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

A neighbor of ours has a Alsatian and keeps it in a pen in their back garden, its not really big enough for him, and they look like they don't spend much time with him, because of this we called the DSPCA and asked could they do anything about it? the DSPCA said as long as the Dog has food and shelter theres nothing they can do! bit heartbreaking as this type of dog needs a lot more care! I'd def call the ISPCA and seek their advice on what can/can't be done! and please call sooner rather than later! poor pup! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Please. Call the ISPCA AND the Gardai now! Insist that something is done and then follow it up. The mistake that some people make is that they make the original complaint but never follow it up. I have made a complaint in the past and I kept ringing the people I spoke to (always get a name!) until they assured me that the situation had been rectified.
    You are the only friend this dog has at the moment:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 denisedoyle

This should be reported immediately, as far as I know they cant do anything if the dog has food ,water and shelter but as the poor thing is so injured and neglected they would have to take action.
    Poor doggie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Iv never actually reported anyone myself, thankfully haven't had to yet. But in your case what little animal welfare laws we actually have are being broken (withholding vet care and providing adequete food) so I would have no hesitation in reporting her to both the ispca and the gardaí.

How does she know the dog's leg is broken without bringing it to a vet? Whatever about it not killing the dog, it must be agony for it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IreneCleary

The ISPCA can definitely follow up on as the dog is injured so it is a case of animal cruelty. animal welfare law is so out of date, I was ready on the DSPCA website that it is 100 years old, but if an animal is injured and the owner does nothing the guards can seize the dog, probably the best thing that could have happened to the dog in the long run as now the guards can act and take the poor thing away from the horrible woman, hope all works out when you ring the ISPCA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

I really hope you've phoned them u_c_thesecond. I've been thinking about that dog all day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

i called but kept getting a voice saying they were closed until monday so im calling 1st thing tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

You should take the dog in the middle of the night and call the ISPCA first thing in the morning. I can't believe they are closed on the weekends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It is a Garda issue. There is no question of this not being cruelty.

I did call the guards also but was told that this was a matter for DSPCA or ISPCA cant remember which one he said!

i called ISPCA 1st thing and i kept getting that voicemail again and i dont want to leave my details because this woman ever found out it was me id be dead full stop she can be very vicious

After calling a few more times a woman answered and said she couldnt take the info because she was not trained to (HUH?) and said id have to give my number to be called bk. So i gave an old mobile no of mine that i have around the house but no call bk so far

Wasnt trained to take the info? I never heard of anything so daft in my life!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wasnt trained to take the info? I never heard of anything so daft in my life!!!
    She maybe meant that an inspector would call you back, who would then have the training/experience to determine if it was something that the ISPCA can deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

Its Ok to give your details,they won't tell the woman that it was you who called!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seamus wrote: »
    She maybe meant that an inspector would call you back, who would then have the training/experience to determine if it was something that the ISPCA can deal with.

This seems to be a very common complaint with the GSPCA here. The problem is that it ties up an Inspectors time with making & filtering calls. It is far more sensible & easy to train any phone operator to assess the information & then forward the details to the Inspector. The Inspectors need to focus on dealing with cases & not taking/making calls.

Whilst the Garda response is as expected it is galling. It would be interesting to go back & see how many people contacted the Gardai & got the same response. It is a Garda matter & if I got a negative response I would make a formal complaint.

Well done OP for persevering. The DSPCA/ISPCA will not reveal who made the complaint.

I got an immediate response from both the Gardai and the LSPCA in Portlaoise last year when I made a complaint. Then again, I am very insistent when I get going on something like that:o But fair play to both parties concerned - in fact they both arrived together! However, I was not 100% satisfied with the end result but I do know that it is being monitored as I have checked it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Id get a video if you can. Just to really screw her..Also id love to be that owners mother "Im not paying for a doctor!"

• Advertisement

They just called me. They said they will send someone out

Great news! Please keep us posted. And well done to you for taking action - be proud of yourself:)

Shazanne wrote: »
    Great news! Please keep us posted. And well done to you for taking action - be proud of yourself:)

i have heard nothing back anyway so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Michael McArdle

I did call the guards also but was told that this was a matter for DSPCA or ISPCA cant remember which one he said!

That's disgraceful but not surprising. Animal cruelty is a criminal offence so IS the responsibility of the gardai. The DSPCA and ISPCA are non-statutory organisations, which don't have search, seize and arrest powers. They can only remove an animal with the owner's consent. They are charities, which get relatively little state support considering the huge job they have to do.

If this was the answer I received from someone in a garda station, I would escalate my request and make a complaint to someone more senior in the force.

Advertisement