Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop street

Options
  • 09-04-2011 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Does anyone know what went on down shop street today? There was a load off ppl down there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

there was a band out side easons and everyone was doing bets in in the bookmakers. that was the main reason i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hi OP, it was just a regular busy Saturday, it is nice to see it like that on a fine day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Key West were playing on Shop Street, weren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

There was a FANTASTIC solo guitar performer opposite Eason's when I was there around mid-day or later. :D

Further up the street, outside what used to be Taaffe's, there was a terribly loud come-all-ye guitar strummer with Amp. She must be bad for the businesses in the area.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pear minded

thanks a mill for all the feed back guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

There was a FANTASTIC solo guitar performer opposite Eason's when I was there around mid-day or later. :D

Further up the street, outside what used to be Taaffe's, there was a terribly loud come-all-ye guitar strummer with Amp. She must be bad for the businesses in the area.:mad:

Big hair, small hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Key West were playing on Shop Street, weren't they?

Seeing as they play every saturday, I'm imagine so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Big hair, small hat?

Nope, she was further down, at least when I passed. She's actually good.

There was a dark haired new busker at the old Taffes, singing country stuff, really high pitched, not my cuppa tea.

There was an older woman cranked *way* up further down too, she sometimes sings with a guy.

It was packed indeed. They all have to eat I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

I can't stand buskers who use microphones. Not just for the noise, but it also defeats the purpose! The point of giving buskers money is to show you appreciate their talent. There's a few folks out there with great voices who can belt it out and be heard above the mics and still hit the notes. They're worthy of a bit of change now and again. And if it wasn't for the people with amps, they wouldn't have to be so loud.

The one's who barely whisper into the mic cause they can't really hit that note, but add loads of reverb onto the amp to improve their sound should be banned, any time of day or night! It's like the constant loudness battle that was happening with stores blaring music out their doors to try and attract more people. If you're good enough, people will listen to you, you shouldn't need the amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

philbo wrote: »
    I can't stand buskers who use microphones. Not just for the noise, but it also defeats the purpose! The point of giving buskers money is to show you appreciate their talent. There's a few folks out there with great voices who can belt it out and be heard above the mics and still hit the notes. They're worthy of a bit of change now and again. And if it wasn't for the people with amps, they wouldn't have to be so loud.

The one's who barely whisper into the mic cause they can't really hit that note, but add loads of reverb onto the amp to improve their sound should be banned, any time of day or night! It's like the constant loudness battle that was happening with stores blaring music out their doors to try and attract more people. If you're good enough, people will listen to you, you shouldn't need the amps.
    Personally, I'd like no amplification either but...
    I've a few mates who busk, and this is often a topic of discussion. The bands (Key West and the like) have to, by the nature of their electric instruments, use an amp. One mate of mine is just a guy with a guitar. He makes his living busking around Europe. He never used to use an amp before as he felt the same as you. He found though, that in summer in Galway a guy with a guitar will be drowned out by bongos, a band with amp, whatever.

People in the summer don't keep the etiquette of the regular spots either, so to be heard he has a mic and amp now, he plays blues and doesn't crank it up.
    Ironically, he says busking with an amp increased his take by about a third.
    Almost all my pals who play acoustic instruments like guitars and fiddles, said though that they'd be ok with not having an amp if it was across the board, and drummers had one set area. But right now it's a necessity in the summer. A blanket ban on amps would limit bands but could be good overall. You'd have to come up with another rule for drums though. NO one acoustic can compete with 3 sets of bongos!

Good news for those in town though (I used to be one), apparently busking hours are soon to be introduced. Basically no busking at all between midnight and 9am (11pm and 9am in winter) I think that's fair enough.

• Advertisement

The American chap with a guitar, who used to have a long beard and hair is back in Galway. He was and still is one of my favourite buskers in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

I absolutely HATE the guy who stands outside Garavans every night! Sometimes he can be there screaming untill after one in the morning. Not a note in his head and all he seems to be able to sing is zombie and hotel california. He only sings at night too which I imagine is to get money from drunk people because no one sober would give him a cent.
    He is actually not out tonight for once, he should be banned he is so awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

The American fella with the dog is class,sounds just like johnny cash and a real cool busker.

Advertisement