Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad studies with an Open University Open degree

Options
  • 09-04-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm just wondering has anyone completed an Open University Open degree and gone on to post-grad studies in Ireland with it? The Open degree is more that you can study courses from various subjects and count them all together for a general BA or BSc degree. It's described in the link below

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...ication/bd.htm

I'm deliberating between finishing an Open BSc degree or a Maths degree - the Open one would be finished quicker but I'd do the Maths one if I thought my chance of post grad opportunities would be increased.

Thanks for your help with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

Most postgrad courses will say 'a good honours degree' and then define the appropriate subject content desireable for entry onto the programme. So so long as your Open degree is Honours - Level 8 and isn't too much of a mix, you should be fine.

Anyway in most cases you'll be parting with your own money for a postgrad course, apart from a few programmes, I'd say most universities are just happy to fill the courses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

If you're considering a postgrad in Maths, go for the maths degree! Postgrads will often specify 'a degree in X or a cognate subject' or 'a degree where X was a substantial component' and if you've got bits and pieces of loads of different things, it could weaken your chances - there are a lot of people applying for postgrads these days! Though it does depend on the subject. I'd suggest eyeing up a few postgrad courses you could imagine yourself doing, seeing what their requirements are, even emailing course co-ordinators about your particular degree and seeing whether it'd be appropriate - might give you a better sense of what the attitudes are and what's needed, even if you don't end up doing those postgrads specifically!

Advertisement