Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa for Irish consultant - 3 months work in US?

• 09-04-2011 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am an Irish citizen and a self employed IT consultant.I might be going to a client in the US for 3 months to work with them on a project.

Can anybody advise on the visa required for entry in such a situation?

Is the visa waiver program for Irish citizens enough to work in the US for 90 days (I wont be an employee as I am consulting) or will I need a B1 visa? From what I can gather I wont need a H1B visa.

I'll call the embassy during the week but trying to get a grasp of things via the web first. Thanks in advance

- Joe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Since you will be working whilst there, the ESTA (visa waiver program) will not suffice. It looks like a B1 visa is what you're looking for. There's more information on it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Since you will be working whilst there, the ESTA (visa waiver program) will not suffice. It looks like a B1 visa is what you're looking for. There's more information on it here.

I have travelled on the visa waiver program for business, meeting with clients on behalf of my employer. My understanding was that it's OK as long as you're not seeking employment, but I could be wrong. Many of my colleagues have done this too. However we used to get grilled every now and then, and once or twice we were told this would be the last time we'd be allowed in without a business visa. However out of literally dozens and dozens of trips made by about 10 of us over a period of about 3 years, only once was anyone turned away - and that was his first time trying to enter the US.

Advertisement