Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twitter and Trinity ball Embarressment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

MissMoppet wrote: »
    Pims can be heavy enough on the stomach if you skip the dinner ya know!!! Someone better tell the poor lads and lasses that before their monarch arrives for a visit next month :rolleyes:

How did NUIG work out for you? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Sure NUIG is a prime example of sobriety. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

What people who haven't been to TCD don't realise is that the Trinity Ball is generally the last proper social event before the hell that is the exams happens and great way to blow of steam by a good bit old fashioned binge ;)

And seriously the Trinity Ball is one night on private property full of drunks/people high as kites in full evening wear which is managed by private security, the only way you see any of this madness is if you pay for a (overpriced, sneaking in way more fun) ticket or possibly are hanging around college green at 5am

NUIG rag week is a full week, all around various various parts of the city, involving people wearing Bermuda short getting pissed and starting fires etc all bloody day (not tarring all NUIG rag week people but there is some) .

I wonder which one of these is going to bring the college more into disrepute and antagonise non students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

NUIG rag week is a full week, all around various various parts of the city, involving people wearing Bermuda short getting pissed and starting fires etc all bloody day (not tarring all NUIG rag week people but there is some) .

I wonder which one of these is going to bring the college more into disrepute and antagonise non students.

Still raised €22,000 euro for charities though. :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MissMoppet wrote: »
    Still raised €22,000 euro for charities though. :rolleyes:

wonder was that as much as the cost of repairing the damage caused locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I'd say she was abit mad after Ryan Tubridy got the album name wrong on Friday night :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

for some reason people are under the impression the trinity ball is somewhat wholesome relevent...

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

"Why is everyone so ****in' drunk"

Sure if ya have a drink yourself love you'll be grand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Doesn't look too bad on the video, like most nightclubs across the UK and Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

this thread (specially that video) just brings back memories of the fanta roadshow a couple o years back, even then there were more lucozade bottles filled with vodka than there were cans of fanta going around! :D

Doesn't look too bad on the video, like most nightclubs across the UK and Ireland

That's her biggest hit to date and so she had people's attention, but apparently during some of her ballads people just were chattering away and paying no attention to her and it wound her up. I was at the Academy gig and some of her songs you can hear a pin drop, doubt that was the case when she preformed them there. Songs like Who You Are for example. Although, she did deny that on Twitter when the replies came in after her first tweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

OutlawPete wrote: »
    That's her biggest hit to date and so she had people's attention, but apparently during some of her ballads people just were chattering away and paying no attention to her and it wound her up. I was at the Academy gig and some of her songs you can hear a pin drop, doubt that was the case when she preformed them there. Songs like Who You Are for example. Although, she did deny that on Twitter when the replies came in after her first tweet.

What does she expect, she's the entertainment at a private party its not like its just her gig or anything?

What does she expect, she's the entertainment at a private party its not like its just her gig or anything?

Well, Trinity is one of the most renowned and respected Universities in the world. Maybe she was expecting something a little closer to what you might expect at a Harvard, Oxford, Yale or Princeton Ball, rather than Copper Face Jacks on tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Well, Trinity is one of the most renowned and respected Universities in the world. Maybe she was expecting something a little closer to what you might expect at a Harvard, Oxford, Yale or Princeton Ball, rather than Copper Face Jacks on tour.

obviously this is ireland so we can expect the drinking to be a little bit more out of control then other countries but I think you underestimating the american undergrad students ability to get absolutely **** faced at every opportunity just like us regardless of what college they attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    FYP

You added to it really, the twats that think its wholesome are the same twats who think its relevant, I think its because it sounds prestigious. Are there any real university balls? As in an actual ball, I think UCD L&H do one?

PeakOutput wrote: »
    .. I think you underestimating the american undergrad students ability to get absolutely **** faced at every opportunity just like us regardless of what college they attend.

I am not, I'll have you know I have Girls Gone Wild: Freshman Class Vol I to VII on DVD Super Boxset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I'm a postgrad at Trinity. I didn't know about the reputation of Trinity students until I got here to Dublin. I can see that there are cliques around campus (especially around the Arts building, it seems) and I have met people around town who've made joking comments about the stuck up vibe at Trinity. It wasn't until I was at the Ball that I understood why Trinity students have such a bad reputation.

One guy approached the security guards and essentially tried to put them down because they were the hired help. One girl stole her friends bag and proceeded to run back and forth through security lines while her friend sobbed. Not everyone in attendance were drunk out of their minds but I was personally laughing at the number of girls walking around with dresses just below their asscheeks begging for blankets and wobbling on their hooker heels. I was more entertained by them than the people on the stages.

I get it that it was the last evening of fun before finals, and that it may be the last ball for those in their last year, but by golly, what a bunch of spoiled, obnoxious brats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You've obviously never been to an Oxford Ball then....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

You added to it really, the twats that think its wholesome are the same twats who think its relevant, I think its because it sounds prestigious. Are there any real university balls? As in an actual ball, I think UCD L&H do one?

This isn't university wide but I believe there is a true blue Graduate Ball with a string quartet and three course dinner at TCD in May. I think that may be an actual ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

There are loads of University balls in the traditional sense. They have the exact same result regardless, everyone gets p*ssed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

You added to it really, the twats that think its wholesome are the same twats who think its relevant, I think its because it sounds prestigious. Are there any real university balls? As in an actual ball, I think UCD L&H do one

ye there are loads of actual balls in university here in UL there is probably around 6 every year, one for each department give or take and one for clubs and societies, proper sit down meals with speeches and awards and then a band and a dj after. people still get hammered just like at the trinity ball but there is no pretending the tball is actually a ball its a mini festival in the middle of the city for students, of course people are going to get polluted. I dont really see the problem accept for its being embarrassing for the college

sure a year or two ago Pete Doherty and Shane Mcgowan headlined the thing didn't they? trinity aren't exactly going for the wholesome, classy ball look. if it wasn't a clean living pop star, who thinks people care what she says and how she lives, who was playing this year we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Who the f*ck cares!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

To be honest, it isn't within the remit of the hired entertainment to dictate how people should party

HoneyRyder wrote: »
    To be honest, it isn't within the remit of the hired entertainment to dictate how people should party

I never suggested she should be able to dictate anything to anyone. Just pointing out why she may have been surprised is all, don't shoot the messenger.

• Advertisement

I never suggested she should be able to dictate anything to anyone. Just pointing out why she may have been surprised is all, don't shoot the messenger.

I'd never shoot anyone and um, I know you're not, I'm just putting forth that I think her expectations in this instance are largely irrelevant that's all :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    There are loads of University balls in the traditional sense. They have the exact same result regardless, everyone gets p*ssed!

GCD has their ball nexy friday, dinner tux affair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....if that was the case, she certainly doesn't know much about the reputation of US college students....
    Twelve Princeton University students were taken to a hospital for drinking too much during an initiation weekend for off-campus eating clubs that have a history of overserving alcohol.
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/02/16_princeton_u_students_requir.html
    Allegations of possible hazing and sexual assault have one group of seniors at Yale thinking about covering up.
    The Yale Police Department is investigating a Feb. 19 "naked party" held by the elite university's senior prank society after one student mentioned a "possible sexual assault" at the party, according to the student newspaper.
    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-03-04/news/28673766_1_sexual-assault-naked-party-student-newspaper
    Apparently, America’s best and brightest have such a hard time exercising self-control that one of the nation’s top schools feels compelled to take time to teach them how not to get drunk.
    Harvard student Isabel Kaplan says learning to differentiate 12 ounces of beer from 1.5 ounces of hard alcohol is just one thing Harvard tells students on their second day of school.
    http://www.thetrumpet.com/?q=7224.0.125.0
    Highlighting top party schools in America is debated by those that link campus drinking with a number of serious student problems impacting their success.
    The 2010 list of top party schools published by the Princeton Review may help prospective students decide on “the ultimate college experience,” as one blog post put it, but the list continues to garner the consternation of university administrators and college health care personnel.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Of course, students are students, but at lest a dress code does something about all the girls who seem to mistake t-shirts for dresses.

Of course, students are students, but at lest a dress code does something about all the girls who seem to mistake t-shirts for dresses.

...and thats a good thing?

• Advertisement

Yes.

Yes.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Well, I'm a Trinity grad and I've been to the Trinity ball. It sucks ass and is pretty much as the singer girl (I don't know who she is I'm afraid) says it is. It's just a bunch of drunk people getting seriously messy. I went once and will never go again; an utter waste of time and money.

And, I think she has a good general point. I'm not a teetotaler but when I go to gigs I stay sober. I might have one or two but that's it. I want to enjoy the show sober and remember it. I do not need drink to enhance my enjoyment of music I already enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

And, I think she has a good general point. I'm not a teetotaler but when I go to gigs I stay sober. I might have one or two but that's it. I want to enjoy the show sober and remember it. I do not need drink to enhance my enjoyment of music I already enjoy.

Yeah maybe if the music was in any way decent that would be a good plan but when it's Jessie J.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Berns wrote: »

Oh please, the only the thing she 'cares' about is getting her self-seeking puss in the papers. I can't stand celebrities who use their pseudo concern as a platform for publicity. I wonder would she be equally bent out of shape if the students had actually given her the attention she clearly craves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I'd need a few drinks on me to listen to her.Anyway, what ever happened to music? Star concerned about her fans being drunk.....Jesus wept. No craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Labreya

I was working there. The majority of patrons left with their faculties well intact. Yeah, a few left who pushed the drinking too far, but most knew their limits and stuck to them. Hell, most who I saw that were puking drunk were brought out by friends to taxis rather than by the ambulance crews.

She thinks it was bad inside? Next time she can sit front and centre at the gates dealing with latecomers causing aggro and students turning up coked out of their heads.

Also, if it was such a ****ing mess like she's going on, how come we didn't recieve any complaints from any other acts? Hell, we didn't even recieve a complaint from her on security. So she'll see people get trampled, jump on twitter about it but not bother her arse to notify any of the many members of security around? Really looking out for the "fans".

• Registered Users Posts: 28 parmaviolet

I'm going to have to stop you there, people who get into trinners aren't smart, they're just a bit wealthier normally.

wrong, I'm poor. :D
    Also yeah, jessie j needs a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mark86

i've been to the trinity ball a number of occasions, to see the likes of ADF in their prime usually just a single act i wished to see.. breaching the perimeter to gain access tends to be the fun part other than myself it tends to be well heeled people in tuxedos, couples.. berks.

saw the name Jessie J, thought of an outlaw. guess names have also succumbed the lack of originality trap in general media these days, else just settle for something crud, she managed both. but it rung a bell. she was on the late late. complete airhead, revealed a fool of herself with her parting comment. yet another generic female pop singer - the only dreg at that event would have been her. folk couldn't have been crushed either, would have been plenty breathing space at her performance. else today's students really are starved of quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Passed by Trinity at about 4.45am or so on Saturday morning and bumped into the masses exiting the ball. Didn't see anyone overly drunk to be honest. Most just seemed to be heading for taxis. Nothing too outrageous.

Labreya wrote: »
    She thinks it was bad inside? Next time she can sit front and centre at the gates dealing with latecomers causing aggro and students turning up coked out of their heads.

Seen a good few 'trinners' trying to bail over the railings near the Screen Cinema side of Trinity also.

The real question is, why has Tar.Aldarion posted on this thread?

What is he hiding??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

mark86 wrote: »
    today's students really are starved of quality

Yep. MCD run the ball, not the student's union. The tickets ALWAYS sell out in about a day- over 6,000, so they don't have to bother spending huge amounts on big acts, people will go anyway. Most people decide whether to go or not before the line-up is released- though it will sway people on the fence obviously. Last year the headliner was Dizzee Rascal- who also got little reaction for his unknown songs, but didn't complain. Year before- the Script and Calvin Harris. 2008- Mark Ronson. None of the acts are big enough to be a massive draw, the emphasis is on trying to have something for the majority of people. The atmosphere is amazing regardless of who's playing, that's the draw.

Poeple are locked obviously but because people start drinking long before the ball starts they tend to be practically asleep before it's over. Never noticed any fights or aggro any year. It's relatively civilised for such a massive event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Some interesting Trinity Ball facts as told to me by a TCD doctor I went to in first year:

There is a rash of females students queuing up at the Health Centre the morning after the ball looking for emergency contraception every year without fail.

The most common injury at the ball is twisted ankles (hardly surprising on those cobblestones)

The worst ever injury he ever saw happen at the Ball was in the 1970s, when a ticket-less girl jumped the wall at Nassau Street before the metal railings were put in, not knowing that there was a huge drop the other side. Two broken legs. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 stcarrol

Jessie J was not the only one to complain. The Rubberbandits also commented on it. They asked people up the front to stop pushing as women were getting 'bruised tits'.

I stood far back from the front at each of the gigs and I couldn't see much sign of pushing, just the odd set of girls rushing back from the front- suggesting that it was fairly cramped in there. I think it's fair enough for her to complain, you see someone getting hurt you say something. She came off as a bit of a moan at the time but I couldn't see what she could see.

Just because no one made an official complaint doesn't mean everything ran smoothly. Very few people go out of their way to make official complaints in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Berns wrote: »

BREAKING: College students in over drinking shocker!!

Heres something.....a group of young ladies involved in a "Formal" sorority dinner....
    The March 26 affair at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center was organized by the Alpha Xi Delta sorority chapter at Miami University in Ohio. In an internal memo drafted three days after the booze-soaked event, a fuming Freedom Center official described how inebriated sorority sisters and their guests attempted to 'urinate on our artifacts,' defaced restrooms, and vomited 'throughout our building.' Describing the museum as a 'place of education and inspiration for visitors,' Rhonda Miller noted that, a day after the formal, staffers were 'still finding hidden bottles of alcohol and new places where students had vomited from having too much to drink.'
    (choice location in bold by me)

The document itself is well worth a read.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/more-drunken-sorority-madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Some interesting Trinity Ball facts as told to me by a TCD doctor I went to in first year:

There is a rash of females students queuing up at the Health Centre the morning after the ball looking for emergency contraception every year without fail.

The most common injury at the ball is twisted ankles (hardly surprising on those cobblestones)

The worst ever injury he ever saw happen at the Ball was in the 1970s, when a ticket-less girl jumped the wall at Nassau before the metal railings were put in, not knowing that there was a huge drop the other side. Two broken legs. :eek:

MAP now in most pharmacies, should stop that one..

Wow that's an awful drop, makes me cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I used to go to the Trinity Ball in the early '80s with (the now) Mrs Oldyouth. I'm glad to see it hasn't changed much. Great craic altogether. Lots of booze, lots of good bands, lots of plastic sheeting put down on some floors and a guaranteed shift at the end of the evening.

Happy days

• Advertisement

The worst ever injury he ever saw happen at the Ball was in the 1970s, when a ticket-less girl jumped the wall at Nassau before the metal railings were put in, not knowing that there was a huge drop the other side. Two broken legs. :eek:

The student health centre has never been open on a Saturday, and the ball is always on a Friday....

Advertisement