Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highend Adsl2+ Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 djiffou

I'd love to know as well. This looks like a really good router/modem.
    It also seems to be available in the republic:
    http://www.expansys.ie/billion-bipac-7800n-802-11n-adsl2broadband-router-uk-182959/
    Anyone knows how good these routers are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

That Modem is overly expensive.
    Can I ask, why do you need a Dual-WAN router?
    Theres much cheaper items on the market which still have Gigabit Ethernet, and Wireless-N.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

I decided to get it in the end so fingers crossed it is as good as the reviews would lead one to believe! :)

Also hoping someone else gets it so I can come on here and have someone ro discuss any router woes with, though hopefully there won't be any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Theres another thread on this router floating around anyway, someone else is planning to get it I believe. Either way, Billion have relatively simple interfaces to navigate, so you should be fine. Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

I bought this modem and set it up today. It was extremely easy to set up and it's working fantastically. All my devices,iPhone,iPad,laptop etc are working perfectly again. With the zyxel router I couldn't watch any streaming content or listen to my radio apps at all, now everything is up and running better than ever. Its very easy to forward ports on and my download speeds have doubled on what they were too.

Perhaps there are cheaper alternatives, I don't know for sure, but I can definitely recommend this router for use with Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yes I went for the Billion as well. It is very easy to setup. It does have a very powerful feature set for advanced use as well.

Wireless throughput has trebled on my macbook air to about 4.5 megabytes per second. Wireless to wireless transfer is about 2.2 megabytes per second. So approximately 3 times the througput of the old eircom router. Signal strength is very strong.

RE: ADSL. Sync speeds are exactly the same, although they were not bad on the netopia.

RE: Lan. It's gigabit. Fast. :)

So to summarise in three words, expensive but good!

Handy feature on the billion: SNR spoofing. Eircom are a little cautious with their sync speeds. You can spoof your snr if you have a decent line.

My old sync rate 15000

New sync rate =

Upstream 765
    Downstream 17017

running at that speed for 2 days now, 0 crc errors. Seems to be as solid as a rock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

How did you manage that?What setting do you change?

I have got the same modem too and while it's an infinite improvement on the zyxel I think it could be a little better. The wireless signal seems to be "good" on all channels but never "excellent". It's working perfectly well, I just presumed I'd be getting excellent like I did with the Netopia.

Have you any other tips or tweaks?

http://192.168.1.254/snr.cgi is the default address of the hidden page. Use at your own risk.

standard values are.
    200 = +6dB
    150 = +3dB
    100 = +0dB
    50 = -3dB
    25 = -4.5db
    1 = -5.5dB

The command does not accept negative numbers. However the command can be tricked into accepting negative numbers by entering high positive numbers.
    This is handy for people on optus dslams default 12db profile.

65500 = -9dB
    65480 = -9.5dB
    65450 = -12dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are the values above SNR or signal margin values? There's a crucial difference.

• Advertisement

I think it's SNR. Watty could confirm being the resident telecoms genius.

I can tell you I'm syncing at 17 m/bit plus now for 8 days, not a single packet dropped up or down. It just took 10 minutes of experimenting with the SNR secret page, and 1 phone call to eircom. Roughly 30 gigs downloaded in the last week. Really solid collection.

I also have PHYR enabled, sounds like a nice feature. No idea if Eircom support it!

With the netopia i always synced at about 15 m/bit with some crc errors. But really it was an incredibly reliable collection.

1272739614.png

Advertisement