Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ok dug out french drain earlier for drainage

Options
  • 09-04-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hi..dug out a french drain earlier into a large soak pit in my garden and just looking for bit more advice.ok dug it out put down those heavy plastic sheeting and ran water to see if it would run to soak pit which it did.now should i put down stones into the plastic or pipes and just cover it over with the soil again and problem solved i hope.let me know.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

hi..dug out a french drain earlier into a large soak pit in my garden and just looking for bit more advice.ok dug it out put down those heavy plastic sheeting and ran water to see if it would run to soak pit which it did.now should i put down stones into the plastic or pipes and just cover it over with the soil again and problem solved i hope.let me know.thanks

Land drain pipe should be wrapped in a permeable fabric eg mypex or teram or similar (this prevents pipe silting up) and ensure good fall into soak pit. Depending on how large/deep Soak Pit is, backfill approx 30% of volume with very rough/coarse stone, and top dress 50% of area with drainage pebble/pea gravel (17mm) and final 150-200mm should be topsoil (if under grass area). Ideally the pipe should be sitting in approx of 200mm of pebble above and below pipe diameter.

Advertisement