Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P67 - Asus Sabertooth Ram issues

Options
  • 09-04-2011 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Hey, I recently purchased the above mobo (Asus sabertooth - P67, B3 revision)

Got 2x4gb corsair vengence RAM 1600mhz. The weird thing is the ram only works in slots B1 and B2 i.e the 3rd and 4th slots, so I can't dual channel properly, as any combination with A1, A2 or even just one stick in either of the A channels (slots 1 & 2) cause the system to crash and reboot. I tried the mem ok button, no help.

Do you guys think the mobo is just faulty and needs to be replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Try upping your dram voltage to it's rated maximum and if it sill doesn't work you most likely have a faulty board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, upped the DRAM voltage to 1.65v from 1.5, no luck. Getting in touch with scan.co.uk now. See what the story is and how their return policy is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You have to post the item to them (unless you live in the UK). They'll send out a replacement for free if they do discover a problem.

Edit: Can you get in long enough to loosen the timings and decrease the frequency? I've read a lot of people having trouble with asus P67 boards and them being fussy with RAM.

Yeah, if the ram (either one or two sticks) is in the second two slots it works fine, I can get to the bios and change the voltage, timings etc. Not quite sure what to do there though with the timings, they are 9-9-9-24, voltage is at 1.5v and the frequency is at 1333mhz. The weird thing is, even if the ram is in the B 1 or 2 slot as soon as I put in the other ram in either of the A slots the pc thinks there is no ram/fails to boot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

To rule out all problems:

Stick 1, slot 1
    Stick 1, slot 2
    Stick 1, slot 3
    Stick 1, slot 4
    Repeat with stick 2.

It's a pain, I know, but it'll give you a better idea of exactly what's going on. You might not have a fautly board.

• Advertisement

Okay!

Results:
    Stick 1 and Stick 2 both work in slot 3 and 4 and in tandem in 3 & 4. Neither work in slot 1 & 2.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's weird. I guess it's a faulty board... have you tried a BIOS update?

Bios is the latest version, checked online! Wrote to scan.co.uk and asus, see what they say. Thanks for the help!

Scan were really good about it, they are collecting it from Ireland, hopefully it is faulty so I don't have to pay the extra charges! :D

Advertisement