Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Examiner saturday pages

• 09-04-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Anybody see the new slot for readers pictures on the irish examiner today? Nice to see a daily paper givin us a place where we can show off some nice pictures and in a decent size too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Have the paper but not with me. What section is it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I spotted the paper in the shops earlier - new masthead .... looks very retro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Irish Examiner Pic Desk

The Irish Examiner has launched a new look Saturday edition today (as mentined above), which is totaly re-designed from the ground up. It includes a Sports Tabloid pull out, a new racing supplement and totaly re-designed Property and Weekend Supplements.
    More importantly, for us Photographers it now includes a new READERS PHOTOS slot which will use two Readers pictures each week. We would love to see submissions from BOARDS.ie users -
    Submitting pictures is easy, just go to: http://www.photos.examiner.ie/ , click on the banner (or this link: http://www.photos.examiner.ie/readers_photos.html) . Fill in you Name (which will be credited), e-mail address and Contact No. (neither of which will be published), A caption (MUST) for the picture and some of the technical Info (optional). Then browse to the picture on your computer and upload your .jpg file.
    Sorry- no Prints or pics by e-mail.
    There is no payment for pictures in this slot, but the two Photographers will get a framed 8x10 / 7x10" of their image. A selection of each week's images will also be used on the Irish Examiner's Photos site (no payment, no framed print!).
    Ps, This upload facility can also be used to submit NEWS pictures for possible use in the paper - Payment WILL be made for NEWS pictures used in the paper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Have you spoken with our Community Managers about getting a commercial account?

I like the Terms and Conditions:
    * Photographer will always retain full Copyright of their image.
    * We respect the intellectual property of all photographers and we
    ask our readers to do the same. All material published is protected by
    copyright and no one is allowed to copy or reproduce anything without
    consent.

Fair play. Don't read the paper, but hope it goes well for all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

psni wrote: »
    Have you spoken with our Community Managers about getting a commercial account?

Just to point out that the Irish Examiner have approached the mods in relation to this. While out and out shilling would obviously be frowned upon and removed/edited, this is seen as an opportunity for exposure at national level for the forum's members who may be interested. We occasionally permit this - for instance, the Storyful community thread was similar - an opportunity for greater exposure for our members. Items like this are considered on a case by case basis and the Irish Examiner made the correct approach of asking before posting.

The Irish Examiner has launched a new look Saturday edition today ..........

I think I know the answer to this one but to ask anyhow. The tag line of the site in the footer has:
    Photographs may also be purchased through our sales counter

I assume this is for your own staff photos (obviously). In respecting the copyright as per the T&C, it presumably doesn't apply to reader images? Should someone browse your site (or indeed see a reader photo in the paper) and wish to purchase - how does that get handled?

Thanks.

Photographs displayed in the Readers Pictures gallery will NOT have a purchase option.
    We do operate a "Profit Share" scheme with some Pros, where their pictures are used on the site and available for purchase. I think this is an option we will worry about later if there is a demand for picture sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

Did anyone see last week end's edition- what were the reader pictures?

mb

• Registered Users Posts: 36 griffonmark

Buckz wrote: »
    Did anyone see last week end's edition- what were the reader pictures?

mb

Yea, they were nice pictures: man on a beach with his dog in Galway (I think) and a nice one of a windsurfer flying past Ballycotten Island. There was one the week before of a battered old chair taken from near the ground in a rundown house near Dun Laoghaire: well composed and atmospheric. Nice to see the Examiner giving room on their pages for pictures submitted by readers - great idea and hope it continues and is not just a summer thing. Although for it to keep going I suppose amateur snappers have to keep it going!

• Advertisement

..... Although for it to keep going I suppose amateur snappers have to keep it going!

Speaking of.... We have been delighted with the quality of the images submitted to date, but we would love to see MORE submitted every week.

You can upload images here: http://photos.examiner.ie/readers_photos.html
    and see pictures uploaded (from Friday of the week of submission) here:
    http://photos.examiner.ie/?Action=_VC&id=8646210&ppwd=85623mgp

Thanks for your support - it's great to publish fantastic photographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Sounds fantastic, I'm especially impressed with the no fuss terms and conditions over who owns what.

This might sound like a bone question, but anyway. If your going to print someone's picture in an upcoming edition, will they be contacted by email before it goes out to print? :) wouldn't want to miss it on the stands! :D

Sounds fantastic, I'm especially impressed with the no fuss terms and conditions over who owns what.

This might sound like a bone question, but anyway. If your going to print someone's picture in an upcoming edition, will they be contacted by email before it goes out to print? :) wouldn't want to miss it on the stands! :D

It's something we'll consider.....
    Considering done.....
    Just buy the paper - there's lots of other good stuff in there also!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

haha nice, you should work in the marketing department. sent a couple in anyway, thanks for the opportunity anyway, its a great chance for all photogs, pro or otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Sent one in will be very surprised and highly insulted if it does not get printed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

It's something we'll consider.....
    Considering done.....
    Just buy the paper - there's lots of other good stuff in there also!

Good idea!! I had a photo printed recently and missed the paper. It would have been great to have received an email in advance.
    Looking forward to receiving an email for my next winner! :)

liamo wrote: »
    Good idea!! I had a photo printed recently and missed the paper. It would have been great to have received an email in advance.
    Looking forward to receiving an email for my next winner! :)

If you let me know the date it was published and give me your e-mail address, I will send you on a PDF of the page.... You can e-mail us at: photocalls@examiner.ie

I 'won' with this one a few months back, not a great photo but a happy one.

0C100E20AC084BD4A089EF28934F548E-0000332953-0002468917-00640L-BC50963B3A764F62B090F2ECFF6BD080.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I also sent one in. I demand front page.
    not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 IPWS

Perhaps you would consider improving on the Terms and conditions for submitted images by limiting the usage and time. That way there is less risk to submitting photographers.

Regards

Alan M

photographers.ie

More - http://www.photographers.ie/2011/08/readers-make-sure-you-read-the-terms-and-conditions/

• Advertisement

IPWS wrote: »
    Perhaps you would consider improving on the Terms and conditions for submitted images by limiting the usage and time. That way there is less risk to submitting photographers.

Regards

Alan M

photographers.ie

More - http://www.photographers.ie/2011/08/readers-make-sure-you-read-the-terms-and-conditions/

Thanks for your comments Alan, but we have not had anybody else (Yet!) raise this as an issue. The pictures being submitted (generally speaking) are not the type of pictures that are likely to be re-used and most of them would not be NEWS images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Regards

Alan M

photographers.ie

Here's someone else then ;)

Thanks for your response Irish Examiner Pic Desk,
    Thanks for your comments Alan, but we have not had anybody else (Yet!) raise this as an issue.

I think I am making a fair comment - whether you act on it shouldn't be based on how many people raise the issue - it should based on the fact it is a fair point. If you think it isn't a fair point I would love to read why.
    The pictures being submitted (generally speaking) are not the type of pictures that are likely to be re-used and most of them would not be NEWS images.

Hence it shouldn't be an issue to amend the terms and conditions as you have no wish to re use them. Simple solution and everyone happy

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

for a feature aimed at amatuers, with no prize or payment I think the Ts & Cs are fine. If you are concerned about mis use of your pictures then it probably isn't for youbut that's your choice. i like the fact that my picture could be considered for other use- I should be so lucky.

however not getting prior notice of publication is a bad thing- I was busy the week-end my shot was published (A Ha no wonder I'm such a fan!!) and bought the paper and didn't open it till Sunday night- far too late to tell everyone to buy it and revel in my triumph...

So please consider an advance E-mail for the pictures being published, it'll generate sales....

Thanks for your response Irish Examiner Pic Desk,

I think I am making a fair comment - whether you act on it shouldn't be based on how many people raise the issue - it should based on the fact it is a fair point. If you think it isn't a fair point I would love to read why.

Hence it shouldn't be an issue to amend the terms and conditions as you have no wish to re use them. Simple solution and everyone happy

To be Honest, the T&C's came from our Legal friends and were already tamed down.... If you want to send me an alternative wording, I will run it by the Legal Eagles and see if we can improve things?

Regarding Buckz point about an advance e-mail - it is something we have been considering, but I learnt many years ago never to promise anyone that something will be in the paper, as Murphy's law will have it, that is the picture that will be changed just before deadline!

To be Honest, the T&C's came from our Legal friends and were already tamed down.... If you want to send me an alternative wording, I will run it by the Legal Eagles and see if we can improve things?

Thanks for your response. I have already outlined how the terms could be improved so hope this is OK but dm me if you do really need me to expand on the issues I have raised -bear in mind I am no legal eagle. I am delighted that you have indicated you are open to my suggestions and should the Irish Examiner adopt them I will be the first to praise you. Please keep us informed as to the progress of this review.

Congratulatons to Daniel Morelli (Dundalk) who has filled this week's Readers' Pictures slot on our Saturday pages with a long exposure shot with a difference.
    http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=2Jg1e0B90W3o&PBID=bbc5e5c0-ff59-44cf-9893-aecdb8ada789&skip=

Think the link isn't to the image or am I missing the navigation to the image?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Congratulatons to Daniel Morelli (DUndalk) who has filled this week's Readers' Pictures slot on our Saturday pages with a long exposure shot with a difference.
    http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=2Jg1e0B90W3o&PBID=bbc5e5c0-ff59-44cf-9893-aecdb8ada789&skip=

Thanks very much :D Completely forgot I had submitted it until my Uncle gave me a call today about it being printed :eek:

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Think the link isn't to the image or am I missing the navigation to the image?

Thanks.

Hi, The link goes to our DIGITAL EDITION and the image is on Page 13. I'm not sure if you can see the pages without a subscription.... but you can see the image on our Photos site: http://photos.examiner.ie/?Action=VF&id=634465410&ppp=0&ppwd=85623mgp -or all the Readers' Pictures here: http://photos.examiner.ie/?Action=_VC&id=8646210&ppp=0&ppwd=85623mgp

Well done Dan - very creative use of long exposure. Love it!

Well done examiner too - great outlet for readers pics.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

A pic of mine got printed a few weeks back. Thanks to the Examiner for that, and for surprising me with a nice large print of the image in the post :)

IMG_7885.jpg

We have been sending a 10x 8" print to everybody who has their pic published in our Readers Pictures slot. However, we were thinking of giving an A3 Print of the Examiner page containing the picture instead.... Any opinions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

We have been sending a 10x 8" print to everybody who has their pic published in our Readers Pictures slot. However, we were thinking of giving an A3 Print of the Examiner page containing the picture instead.... Any opinions??

I think that's quite a nice idea - gives a bit of context to the image, at the end of the day most of us print our own pictures - and even if we don't it's not hard to go about.
    Having a large print of the page creates an instant talking point if it's hanging on your wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It would look excellent as a newspread page, I think it's a great idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

+1, excellent idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

Yup, great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Definitely a A3 of the page. My dad was saying he wished thats what is was as he would have liked to keep it.. :rolleyes:

I just offered him whatever print gets sent out anyway :P

Just asking is there any update on the review of your terms and conditions. You may be interested in this report and how Newstalk people are responding

I received my framed photo in the post but the glass was broken and picture scratched.
    I phoned the Examiner, left a voice mail with the correct person but never got a call back.

+1 for large print of the page the photo appears on.

Also woudl you post the topic for the month here?

• Advertisement

Just asking is there any update on the review of your terms and conditions. You may be interested in this report and how Newstalk people are responding

Here are the full revised terms from the YouReport - Easy, clear and sets limits. Great and quick response from Communicorp Group - had it sorted in less than a week.

dinneenp wrote: »
    I received my framed photo in the post but the glass was broken and picture scratched.
    I phoned the Examiner, left a voice mail with the correct person but never got a call back.

+1 for large print of the page the photo appears on.

Also woudl you post the topic for the month here?

Hi, Mary from our office will drop you a line shortly to sort something out. This is why we stopped doing Framed prints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I received a print in the post yesterday, and I'm not entirely sure where it came from. Then I remembered that I submitted the photo into the reader's section, so I'm wondering if it appeared. Could this be confirmed for me?

This is the image:

CC0A018017304C1F9788683249342D62-0000336754-0002510169-00640L-DDD0C9EB7AC149FD95ABAB2462090BFA.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, It was published on September 10th Examiner. Drop me a line and I will send you a PDF of the page.

Hi, It was published on September 10th Examiner. Drop me a line and I will send you a PDF of the page.

Hi,
    I won in May (or June) with a photo of mother and daughter (Debbie and Emma) baking and smiling for the camers.
    Would it be possible to get a pdf of the page that photo was on too?

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

No problem, but please give me your e-mail address. You can send the request to: photocalls@examiner.ie

Since last Saturday we have changed from giving a print of the published picture - to an A3 Photographic quality copy of the Irish Examiner page with the picture(s).

Advertisement