Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

please c&c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Missing image?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

very nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

I like it! Reminds me of some of nadav kanders work, which I also like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I think it's a tad dark. I can make out that there are clouds above.. but it looks like there might be a really awesome mist of fog over the water that would be brought out by the image being a little lighter, and/or a little higher contrast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

i love the composition. If it had just a little more contrast and maybe remove the spot/rain near the top it would be perfect. Like the way you have the one below it on Flickr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I like it but the exposure needs to be increased (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cesaro

thanks for the feedback it is very helpful.

This picture i think might be better exposed

[IMG][/img]5606876459_84fbf03c63.jpg contemplation by Emmet & Kathy, on Flickr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i like the darkness. it's taken at night (i assume?) and it's, well, dark at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

re: the original posted.

I've looked at this a few times since originally posted. i like it overall. a bit more brightness / contrast on the pier perhaps but just a little - too much and it would look off. Rocks/water are nice. Very moody. Quite dark.

sensor need cleaning? dirt in upper right hand side(?) is darn distracting to my eye. There's a couple of other spots which look if-y but I can't tell is it the darkness or sensor dust.

Part of the image i'm a little uneasy with. I'm not 100% sure the square crop works on this. Perhaps it's the horizontal which positions the pier just floating mid space rather than being attached to something. I'm not certain thats what i'm finding a little off. Its subtle enough to not jump out at me, but niggling enough to annoy me.

Nice image though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

A bit brighter, but definitely with the original crop, the second one is BORING.
    I LOVE the picture, great work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I don't often offer C&C, but I will say that my knee-jerk reaction to the first image was that it was underexposed, until I saw the light (lighthouse?) on the horizon. Although it probably occupies little more than a single pixel at this resolution, I think that it might become one of the image's most important compositional elements when viewed larger, and it would be lost if the tones of the surrounding area were brighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i agree with thonda - original is so much better - the moodiness makes it - the over exposed has no mood for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

If you took your guy from the second shot and put him about a third of the way into the picture from the right in the first shot (on the pier obviously), it would really balance out the composition. Right now, it's a little too heavy on the left side. Other than that I really like it. But definitely the first one more than the second one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Once in a while I come across a photo that is inspiring, and #1 above is one of them. I admit I did not like it at all at first, but having mulled over it & come back to it, I really do. My thought process went along the lines of

step 1 - feck it is really grey, and it isnt really a photo of anything. The viewer has no idea what the scale is. meh

step 2 - Quick look at flickr, saw photo 2 there, initially thought it was much better b/c the human figure offers a sense of scale...but, seconds later

step 3 - The human figure takes away a lot of the mystery of the first photo.

step 4 - Back to first photo again:Hmmm, it teases the mind but is oddly pleasing to the eye! Aha! look at that nice rule of thirds thing going on, in 2 dimensions! And, look at the way the horizon bisects the end of the pier..

There is something really visually satisfying going on here and an air of mystery ( how big is the pier?, how far away is it? What is holding it up?, what is this photo all about?)

I would never have thought of shooting anything like this myself , till now - so thank you.

The photo overall is quite a low-contrast one, but I think that works well with the shot. Might be worth playing around with contrast settings though.

Thanks again,

-FoxT

Thanks for all the comments and advice it was very helpfull.

Advertisement