Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Bband and US Robotics wireless problem

Options
  • 09-04-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I have (or am supposed to have) the 8mb NGB from Eircom, plus a US Robotics wireless router in the attic.

My question is, if I'm supposed to have a no contention line, then why am I getting varying speeds of 11, 24, 36 and 52mbps on my laptop downstairs ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Those figures look like they are the speeds which the laptop is connecting to the router with not the speed with which it is connecting to the internet.

Have you actually run any speed tests. e.g. www.irishisptest.com.

The speed which it connects to the router at will depend on the quality of the wireless signal. It is a relatively low power signal and there are numerous sources of RF interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Mumha, You could have multiple factors causing an issue here, The speeds you are quoting are just the speeds of the wireless signal and your ISP/Broadband has nothing to do with this its just simply the speed between your laptop and the wireless router - As "FSL" suggested in his post run a speed test, like www.speedtest.net or www.irishisptest.com and see what speed your getting if you are unhappy with the speed then pop into the attic turn off the wirless on your laptop and then with a lan cable and plug directly into the wireless router (US Robotics) and run the test again and compare the speeds if they are the same and the speeds you get are considerably less than on LAN then you will have to reposition your wireless router

Advertisement