Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New companion

• 09-04-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭

We have a one year old retriever at the moment, we would love a friend for him though, he is male, we would love another retriever, what would be best a puppy or a young dog, male or female, will they mix well.
    Thanks for your help
    niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

We got a male and when he was 9months old we got a female. They get on extremely well. I've heard that the "worst" combination is two females, although I'm sure there are exceptions to that.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide. Double trouble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Did ye get the female from a pup, that's our plan, our fella gets bored a lot, I would say he would have great craic with a mate

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

We have a male mini yorkie who will not let another male into the household, (big or small ) he is very dominant, my friends have male dogs that are the same. My male has his own territory and no other male can cross it :) We have 3 females that live together quite happily, are the best of friends, sleep, eat and play together with no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We have two female Lhasas, we got the first one Lily, when she was a year and half old. About 7 months later we got Daisy as a pup. We figured given Lily had her own issues from her previous home, we didn't want to add another adult (as it might seem threatening or encroaching on her territory). Didn't take too long for them to get on, about a week or so and Lily had mostly accepted her. She still puts her in her place even now (almost 2 years later) but that's normal because there's an order. I can count on one hand the amount of proper fights they'd have a year, they get on great, and they play etc.

I've a friend who has 3 female golden labradors who've lived together for the last 6/7 years no bother, get on great. (each new one was introduced as a pup)
    I can't say that I'd have experience on two males, but again it might just be getting the timing right, age of either one, neutered or not etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Great you are thinking of getting him a pal!! There are no set rules to getting a 2nd dog as regards age and sex etc depends on your own dog and finding the right match for him and for ur house!! I have a male and female and I also foster so have brought different dogs into the mix! Just got a new foster and he is an intact male (not for long!!) and he is slightly more paly wit my male than my female!! It really depends on the dogs!! Have u considered rescuing or you could foster a dog u are interested in with a view to adopting them if it all goes well!! Getting a little pup wit a one year old bouncy retriever will require loads of supervision until the little pup gets bigger!! Neutering and spaying does help as it takes the focus off hormones!! Often wonder if my own male was intact would he be quite so willing to accept strange dogs into the house!! Good luck on ur search such a fun time finding a new dog!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement