Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CZ-527 .223 Black Synthetic Stock

Options
  • 09-04-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

I'm considering one of these, reasons being; is its a cheap entry level .223, its light and its its got a 21 inch barrel.

Has anyone had any experience of one of these rifles. It'll be used for lamping foxes and maybe a few rabbits for a bit practice.

I just want something functional that will kill foxes and not break the bank with after market adjustments.

CZ_527_SYNTHETIC.png

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/81-centerfire-rifles-cz/KL/CZ_527_SYNTHETIC.aspx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

You should spend abit more and get the one with the kevlar stock and you won't look back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dev110 wrote: »
    You should spend abit more and get the one with the kevlar stock and you won't look back ;)

+1, The Kevlar stock is Pillar bedded and for the Money the cheapest Rifle in it's class.

Dev and CliveJ are very happy with their set ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Also the model with the kevlar stock has the 1/9 twist compared to the synthetic which has 1-12. The 1-9 will let you shoot form 40gr right up to 75gr.
    The 1-12 will be around the 65gr mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Also the model with the kevlar stock has the 1/9 twist compared to the synthetic which has 1-12. The 1-9 will let you shoot form 40gr right up to 75gr.

What do you mean, I'll only be able to shoot 65gr ammunition?

The Slow 1/12 twist is for 40-60 grainrounds (55grain being the best in most rifles of that twist)

The 1/9 twist runs the light and heavy rounds so you have more options on ammo. 40 grain up to 75 grain

• Advertisement

As long as you pick the right type of ammunition for the rifle you shouldn't have any problems?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The 1:12 will/should shoot anything from 50gr up to 55 gr perfectly. After 55gr is where the twist rate should let the accuracy down. although not always the case. The 1:9 seemed to like the lighter rounds as opposed to the heavier 65+.

The Kevlar has a 24" barrel as opposed to the lites 21". The kevlar weighs 3.2kg (7lb) and the lite 2.6kg (5.7lb). Both will fire the lighter bullets well so i see major advantage with the kevlar from that point of view. The barrel of the lite may be "thinner" than the Kevlar (hence the weight saving), but the kevlar has the aluminium bedding block where as the lite does not. Although a homemade or gunsmith would sort that out.

Suppose it depends on price. The Kevlar can be between €1200 - €1400 depending on where you buy. The lite would appear to be in the medium to lower range of price. Probably around the €750 mark?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ezridax wrote: »
    The 1:12 will/should shoot anything from 50gr up to 55 gr perfectly. After 55gr is where the twist rate should let the accuracy down. although not always the case. The 1:9 seemed to like the lighter rounds as opposed to the heavier 65+.

The Kevlar has a 24" barrel as opposed to the lites 21". The kevlar weighs 3.2kg (7lb) and the lite 2.6kg (5.7lb). Both will fire the lighter bullets well so i see major advantage with the kevlar from that point of view. The barrel of the lite may be "thinner" than the Kevlar (hence the weight saving), but the kevlar has the aluminium bedding block where as the lite does not. Although a homemade or gunsmith would sort that out.

Suppose it depends on price. The Kevlar can be between €1200 - €1400 depending on where you buy. The lite would appear to be in the medium to lower range of price. Probably around the €750 mark?

So Erzidax as an entry level rifle what would do you think. If I was flush with cash I'ld go for something with like a varmint model but I'm not at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I meant to say 40gr up to 55gr. :o (damn fat fingers :D)

For an entry level gun why the hell not. There are loads of guns i like, but i cut my cloth according to my measure. My new Savage FCP was €1,000. Could have bought a big honking Sako or some other €2,000 pure hunting rifle. Simply couldn't afford it.

if the rifle is €750 and you pick up rings and a scope for say €550 then you have a ready to use rifle for €1300. Thats the about the average price of the Kevlar. To be honest irrespective of whether it shoots anything over 55gr, unless you are into 300+ yard target vermin shooting a 1:12 with 55 gr ammo will do you rightly. Plus the lighter bullets will do up to 500 with practice. Simply need to allow for more for elevation/wind adjustment.

Just my opinion.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Deeks,
    They mean shoot it well. You can put any mass bullet you want into it, however, it may not shoot well.

My philosophy:

If funds are tight, buy the best gun metal (receiver + barrel) you can.

Later, worry about the optics. Later still, about the stock.

I have a 700 SPS that I picked up for a song. I planned on buying a new stock, but could not be bothered now. For what I do with the 700, the stock is fine. Perhaps, the same will be true of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

In my opinion the synthetic stocks are crap, they feel very cheap, either save up a bit more for the kevlar or laminate stock or buy andyone's lamanite one in the forsale section, great gun, great price, end of story, you wont ever have to spend another penny on changing stocks or triggers etc

ormondprop wrote: »
    In my opinion the synthetic stocks are crap, they feel very cheap, either save up a bit more for the kevlar or laminate stock or buy andyone's lamanite one in the forsale section, great gun, great price, end of story, you wont ever have to spend another penny on changing stocks or triggers etc

Anyones is an ideal foxer.

I shot happily a 1/12 for 4 years 55grain and hit bunnies out past 400.
    The only diff with the faster twist 1/8 I think is a big +; is that if you fox in winter, when teh weather is bad, windy etc.

The heavier rounds are less blown around than the lighter ones are.
    If you are foxing 200 will be the average long shot you will take so any .223 will work.

The Federal 50grain Hollow point are a great round for the money €14 for 20 is the average RFD price.

If I were you I'd go Varmint as even the CZ Varmint is still quite light.
    Dev's CZ was much lighter than my Remmy before I shortened my barrel and he has a Varmint Kevlar.

Not sure if anyone's is Pillar bedded though.
    Pillars not a big issue on the .22mag, but there is considerably more recoil on the .223 so Pillars keep everything snug, Devcon makes it snugger still.

I first had a simmons scope on my .223 until I could afford a NF scope.
    I shot plenty of Varmint's with the simmons for small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Deeks I have said before for that little bit extra $$$$$ that you'll be paying for Andy's CZ varmint will stand to you in the years to come. He minds his guns like he minds his children.

Its the top of the range in CZ 527's 223.

And remember that the CZ your looking at has a plastic stock and a laminated or the kevler stock are far more stiffer.

CZ_527_VARMINT_LAMINATED.png

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

i have the synthetic stock model, its a class thing to carry around for a night as its light i have shoot a lot of foxes with it since last june. you dont need a kevlar stock and heavy barrel to shoot foxes, there for targets and looking good on the range. my longest fox was 245 yards so you dont need anything more for foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

you'll get a varmint kevlar brand new for €1100 maybe €50 less if your cute no bother, John Lambert and Paul O'Hannoran were the cheapest I could find when I was ringing around for mine a few year ago.

The kevlar as already said before weighs in at 7lbs this is the lightest varmint rifle on the market as far as I know, there's rifles with sporting barrels out there that are close to this weight.

It'll group sub 1/2inch with 40grain vmax and sub inch with american eagle 50gr.

Dare I say it, its as good as a tikka and prob has a better stock...:)

I did a job on the trigger of my mates cz style over the weekend and I think the synthetic stock on it is simaler to the stock on the cz 527 your thinking of buying, its definately better than the synthetic stock you'd get on a rem700 sps, a lot more solid like.

Advertisement