Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

securing home?

Options
  • 09-04-2011 10:55pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We noticed the kids trampoline has disappeared and it couldn't have been the bad weather that moved it because of surrounding walls and that the surrounding fields have no trace of it and its a bit of a mistery..

We have a feeling that it was robbed as there couldn't be any other reason. I was listening on the radio the other day that they rob Mobile Toilets and that criminals use they to help in robberys- a trampoline is a hard thing to move, stuck with weeds and all, it would need to be a person to move it. So were left with a stolen trampoline (isn't worth much) and that were worried that were being watched, we contacting the guards about it.

Its not nice knowing someones was in your garden and taking stuff, even if its not worth much.

Does anyone know of a way to secure our home without it too hideous and possibly an affordable 4 cctv system with dvr that can be self installed?
    . We have an alarm installed.

Many thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    We noticed the kids trampoline has disappeared and it couldn't have been the bad weather that moved it because of surrounding walls and that the surrounding fields have no trace of it and its a bit of a mistery..

We have a feeling that it was robbed as there couldn't be any other reason. I was listening on the radio the other day that they rob Mobile Toilets and that criminals use they to help in robberys- a trampoline is a hard thing to move, stuck with weeds and all, it would need to be a person to move it. So were left with a stolen trampoline (isn't worth much) and that were worried that were being watched, we contacting the guards about it.

Its not nice knowing someones was in your garden and taking stuff, even if its not worth much.

Does anyone know of a way to secure our home without it too hideous and possibly an affordable 4 cctv system with dvr that can be self installed?

You could ring a few of the suppliers on the suppliers list here. Most will have systems set up to view before you buy. The more you pay the better the quality of the system you will get. If you do go to view always check the playback on the system. It is better to have 2 weeks of great quality footage than 1 month of something you cant see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

altor wrote: »
    You could ring a few of the suppliers on the suppliers list here. Most will have systems set up to view before you buy. The more you pay the better the quality of the system you will get. If you do go to view always check the playback on the system. It is better to have 2 weeks of great quality footage than 1 month of something you cant see.

Agree with you on the quality is better at 2 weeks then 4 weeks. Basically, we require about 4 cameras which I see is standard to have looking online. Unfortunately many suppliers are at least 2 hours away so can't really get there.

We've secured all doors, shed etc. What more can we do? Probably not much :)

Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Sounds like pranksters to me, a €10 lock will sort it for next time

Jnealon wrote: »
    Sounds like pranksters to me, a €10 lock will sort it for next time

thanks for the tip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Agree with you on the quality is better at 2 weeks then 4 weeks. Basically, we require about 4 cameras which I see is standard to have looking online. Unfortunately many suppliers are at least 2 hours away so can't really get there.

We've secured all doors, shed etc. What more can we do? Probably not much :)

Thanks for your time.

There is not much really you can do only try deter them. Most system can be remotely viewed over your phone. Here is a link to the system I would use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

sounds all to familer... we have a pond out the back that had 2 terrapins, noticed on tuesday one had gone missing, he was fairly big and theres no way he could have gotten out of the garden (by himself). have searched everywhere.the dogs had been barking the night before :(

sounds all to familer... we have a pond out the back that had 2 terrapins, noticed on tuesday one had gone missing, he was fairly big and theres no way he could have gotten out of the garden (by himself). have searched everywhere.the dogs had been barking the night before :(

We found the trampoline 3 fields away up (about 3-4acres, up hill mostly and then flat) up-sidedown:(.

It's a bit of a mistery, but we get alot of wind in Ireland, especially were we are, but to have it found in our neighbours land 3-4 acres is strange. It's no doubt it was the wind:rolleyes:.

But at least I know how important it is to put locks on sheds all the time.:eek:

Thanks for ye'r help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

i use a network of axis cameras mounted outside, with the axis camera station software that you load on a pc / server.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/index.htm

my cameras record 24x 7 , and i can also remote connect to any camera over the internet and view a live stream, the cameras also have a relay on them also, and under certain events , such as motion, etc you can have the relay activate, and activate house alarm etc, turn on light etc there are loads of options with the ip cameras.

ingen wrote: »
    i use a network of axis cameras mounted outside, with the axis camera station software that you load on a pc / server.

http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/index.htm

my cameras record 24x 7 , and i can also remote connect to any camera over the internet and view a live stream, the cameras also have a relay on them also, and under certain events , such as motion, etc you can have the relay activate, and activate house alarm etc, turn on light etc there are loads of options with the ip cameras.

I must look into that, I'm a very DIY person! At the moment, I have 2 IP phones and 2 computers on the network at the same time and I don't think my average 5 mb (upto 8) broadband will take much more :(. Of course, it only uses the BroadBand when I have to view it via web not tv.

Welcome any other suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The axis kit is good but can be very expensive. You can be lucky pick it up on ebay much cheaper along with others like mobotix etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement