Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Settings

• 09-04-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

After a firmware upgrade I cannot access the internet through router.

ping to the router works, ping to 8.8.8.8 or to www.google.ie does not.

With Azotel so have no real technical support(they did say that the Cisco WRP400 router needs to have TCP/DNS ports reset??). Internet is working directly to laptop so not their issue.

Is there settings I am missing that I have to reset (router reset, factory reset, reboot, IP release and ip renew all done).

I am using DHCP and not a static IP...

Would really appreciate any advice:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Somebody knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try changing subnet on your router, maybe their device is in the same subnet, change the lan ip to 192.168.11.1 then get a new lease on your pc

Can you login to the router and see what ip it gets on its wan port, it'll be in the status page

Thanks. Lan is normally 192.168.15.101 so change this to say .102?

DHCP does not give a static IP. Status page gives me all zeros.

jaytobe wrote: »
    Thanks. Lan is normally 192.168.15.101 so change this to say .102?

No, change it to 192.168.11.101, see below, I don't think this will change anything
    jaytobe wrote: »
    DHCP does not give a static IP. Status page gives me all zeros.

If the wan port isn't getting a dhcp lease it looks like you may need a static ip on the wan port, gonna have to contact your provider.

Thanks!

After 1hr talking nonsense with Cisco I went to Azotel and got a static IP address from them. It is a 169 number that there modem would recognise....then instant access.

• Advertisement

Apparently I can;t acess the router (and server off it) remotely with this IP address. To get one is extra and there are no new IP numbers given out??

You need to ring them again, what you need to know is if your router will get a dhcp lease from their equipment or do you need to put static ip settings on the wan port. If you do, you're going to need the static ip, subnet mask, gateway and dns settings. If not tell them there's something wrong as your router isn't getting an ip address from their equipment, the status page is reading blanks (double check in the first tab that its set to automatic)

When DHCP is set I get no IP address ever since I upgraded the firmware....reveresing the firmware version and everyother common task (reload config, software reboot, hardware reboot, power off) has not worked...

So they have given me a Static IP address starting 169.xx and the router works....as I know the 169 is a dummy number, I don´t know the technical reason why the router is now working...??

Thats very unusual, when windows gives the network card a 169.x.x.x number it means that it failed to get a lease from the dhcp server, its the ip it defaults to. You're saying the router works with this dummy ip? Thats a crazy setup :confused:

I know, I´ve asked them how its working....thinking their modem on the dish is now bypassing the router settings some way but still using it to transmit..

Know anything about getting a static IP address...they want to change me from 35pm to 55pm to get one... Is there any other way of getting one? I want to access the home server from anywhere and will need a proper static IP.

• Advertisement

You can access a server without a static ip, setup a hostname and pick a domain here (free option is in the small print)
    http://www.dyndns.com/

That Cisco router should have an option for setting up dynamic dns (DDNS), put your dyndns.com login settings in there and it will update your ip every few minutes

Advertisement