Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

• 09-04-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated players?

Overrated:

Ashley Young
    Theo Walcott

Underrated:

Mulumubu of West Brom
    Stewart Downing
    Kevin Doyle (outside of Ireland)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

doyle is phenomenol. hes really underrated by irish people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Are you attempting to antagonize supporters of fast, nimble, right footed, young English coloured players with this thread OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Over - Bale

Under - Fellaini
    Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Are you attempting to antagonize supporters of fast, nimble, right footed, young English coloured players with this thread OP?

:pac:

No mate, just trying to generate some decent discussion and debate and I feel this could be an interesting thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Bale - Over
    Lucas - Under

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Shane Long - underrated

Phil Neville is also underrated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Over - Darron Gibson
    Under - Darron Gibson

depending on who you talk to! :pac:

Seriously though,

Over - Gareth Barry
    Under - Chris Brunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Overated:ribery seems fairly ordinary every time I've seen him play
    Underrated:Kompany doesn't really get the recognition his work deserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Over

Wilshere
    Van Der Vaart
    Bale
    Parker
    Gerrard
    Lampard

Under

Nani
    Lucas
    Sturridge
    Silva
    Odemwingie

• Advertisement

Over-Most English players
    Barry
    Parker
    Milner

the thing is people will always say your wrong if you go against these players because they have such hype surrounding them. i mean barry was always an average footballer, but people actually believed he was quality. it was obvious he wasn't. he was a average player in good form.
    miler-same as barry
    parker-little bit better than most but still just above average.

michael bradley-hes good as an attackin midfielder but ppl actuali think he can play as a dm.

ramos-he really is paul mcshane on steroids

underrated
    dempsey-one of best midfielders in england this season imo

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Over - Gerrard
    Under- Ramires & Kompany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Underrated (with a Birmingham fan bias)
    Roger Johnson
    Stephen Carr
    Barry Ferguson
    Matthew Etherington
    Pablo Zabaleta

Overrated
    James Milner
    Gareth Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Underrated:
    Mikel Arteta
    Joey Barton

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Underrated - Ramires, thick ass Chelsea supporters don't realise he has been our best midfielder since the turn of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Over Rated
    Steward Downing, just never saw what all the hype was for. Marc Albrighton is a far superior player IMO.
    Theo Walcott, he has pace and not much else.
    Antonio Valencia, ive never been overly impressed with him either at Wigan or United.
    Kevin Doyle, just a very average player who seems to be loved by people on this forum for some reason.

Under Rated
    Marc Albrighton, not sure how Matt Jarvis got into the last England squad ahead of him.
    Cheik Tiote, monster of a player, will definitely get a big move this summer even though he just signed a new contract.
    Joey Barton, obviously he is as mad as a bag of cats but a great player. I think he would do a great job at United, they are crying out for a player like him.
    Fabrice Muamba, cant see him being at Bolton for too long.
    Scott Dann, a great defender who could certainly do a job for one of the big teams. Id have no problem with Liverpool signing him during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Paully D wrote: »
    Underrated:

Kevin Doyle (outside of Ireland)
    I don't think Kevin Doyle is underrated at all. There are a lot of useful, hard-working, grafting strikers in the same mould as him (Kevin Davies, Walters, etc.). I think Irish people seem to overrate him if anything, there was talk of him moving to Chelsea, which is more than silly.

ye and kavin davies like doyle is ****in quality

partyndbs wrote: »

Could you see him at a club like United, Chelsea, Arsenal or City?

Melion wrote: »
    Over Rated
    Steward Downing, just never saw what all the hype was for. Marc Albrighton is a far superior player IMO.
    Antonio Valencia, ive never been overly impressed with him either at Wigan or United.
    Kevin Doyle, just a very average player who seems to be loved by people on this forum for some reason.

I can't understand how you can have seen any of these players play at all this season and come to this conclusion.:eek: (or in the case of Tony, last season as he's been injured for most of this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Over Rated
    Didn't think valencia was highly rated at all, he arrived at old trafford for big money and had the misfortune of being considered ronaldos replacement but I think most united fans are well aware of his limitations.

He has been a breath of fresh air since his return but would have exceeded most fans expectations rather than met them I'd imagine.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I can't understand how you can have seen any of these players play at all this season and come to this conclusion.:eek: (or in the case of Tony, last season as he's been injured for most of this).

Ive never, ever been impressed with Downing. I cant figure out why, he has just never stood out for me, i think he got lucky that he came along when England were crying out for a left winger. As i said, i think Albrighton is a much better player.

Valencia has played 10 games this season :confused: Obviously a good player but i just cant see what all the hype is for. Ive never seen him do anything to show he is a top class player.

And i have never rated Doyle either. A run of the mill, mid-table striker IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Underated
    Frank Lampard: For years people have been saying he is overated that i think its got to a stage he has become underated. His EPL goal scoring record is unbelievable.
    Diego Milito: Even without his goals in the final, Inter would not of won the champions league without him.
    Mirco Vucinic: I think he would be an asset to any team in the world.
    Barry Ferguson: Everytime i see Birmingham play he is running the show.
    Juan Roman Riquelme: One of the best players ive seen in my whole life.
    Dean Delaney: Best keeper in Irish football.
    Edinson Cavani: He's not underated in Italy but people in this part of the world need to wake up to how brilliant he is.
    Dirk Kuyt: Im sick of hearing about how he isnt the most talented player but his work rate is great. Bollox! he is a good player and steps up on the big occasions.
    Michel Bastos: I love this chap, every time ive seen him he has been good.
    Javier Zanetti: I dont think anyone doesnt rate him but outside of Italy and Argentina i dont think he gets recognized as the legend he is.

Overated

Richard Dunne: Ive never seen what people see in him :confused:
    Wayne Rooney: Very good player but the fact that most media outlets compare him to Ronaldo and Messi means he is overated
    Shay Given: Excellent shot stopper but he wont come off his line.

Plus loads others who will probably get pointed out

Could you see him at a club like United, Chelsea, Arsenal or City?

no but could see him in the next tier down from them teams, roma, juventus, spurs etc.

oh and yah richie dunne so overrated, on his day and he has plenty hes a good centre back hence he won payer of the year 4 yrs running for city but hes always likely to put in a mare of a performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Over-rated
    Barry
    Bale
    Van Der Vaart

Under-rated
    Doyle (doesnt get the credit he deserves in England)
    Kompany
    Brunt
    Baines

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Lucas - The abuse he gets from his own fans is ridiculous. Does a fantastic job for Liverpool, starting place for Brazil, and still people don't recognise his talents.

partyndbs wrote: »
    I love Kevin Doyle and think he's a great player for Ireland; I still think he's at his level.

Ive never, ever been impressed with Downing. I cant figure out why, he has just never stood out for me, i think he got lucky that he came along when England were crying out for a left winger. As i said, i think Albrighton is a much better player.

Valencia has played 10 games this season :confused: Obviously a good player but i just cant see what all the hype is for. Ive never seen him do anything to show he is a top class player.

And i have never rated Doyle either. A run of the mill, mid-table striker IMO.

Downing has been Villa's best player this season I'd say.

I already said Valencia's been injured this season. He's an excellent player. Not world class by any means but excellent at what he does. I don't hear anyone really overhyping him.

Doyle has been brilliant for Wolves anytime I've seen him. Those links with Chelsea a few years ago were q bit ridiculous alright but that was sometime ago. Its certainly not something thast commonly said about him. Considering he plays for a team most likely to go down, but you rate him as being mid table quality would suggest you think he can play at a higher level than he does as well, which concurs with the majority of the opinions I hear expressed about Doyler.;)

Lucas - The abuse he gets from his own fans is ridiculous. Does a fantastic job for Liverpool, starting place for Brazil, and still people don't recognise his talents.

Dont think he gets too much abuse anymore, most people have now realised how good and how important he is for us.

• Advertisement

Overrated

Pique - I think he's a good player, and still has a lot of potential, but he is prone to some awful clangers. Not the finished article.

Underrated

Puyol - If he was younger, better looking, and was banging Shakira, you wouldn't hear enough about this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xPHbe6ibuM

ray hudson certainly rates him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

overrated; bale
    the majority of the english national team.

underrated; shane long
    owen heary
    keith fahey

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Over:

Bale- I think he's a good player but the way he has being compared to Messi is laughable

Fabregas- Controversial? Well I think he's overrated in England because he's such a rare type of player. If he was playing in Spain he would not be seen as a very top player like he is in England hence why Barca are looking into signing Borja Valero instead. Also he goes missing in the big games far too often for me.

Milner+Barry- Both are just really average footballers who were hyped up to be something they're not.

Sergio Ramos- Really dodgy at defending and has had a poor last couple of seasons and IMO is only considered world class because Real Madrid and Spain don't have much other RBs only Arbeloa.

Underrated:

Kevin Nolan- I really think he is a fantastic player who has added plenty of goals to his game. For me Newcastle's stand out player this season.

Antonio Valencia- Best winger in the league for me. His end product is brilliant and he has pace and he isn't afraid to take a player on and just important he's a proper team player, he's always willing to track back and defend and as illustrated on Wednesday he can even slot in nicely at right back. One of Fergie's best signings in recent years.

Michael Dawson- For me only Vidic has preformed better this season in CB. Dawson is a great defender and really should start all of England's games. He's got pace strength and considering he's had so many different CBs play along side him at Spurs his level of consistency is quite remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Over-rated:Hernandez...guy has banged in a couple of goals but is never going to be much more than an impact sub as was evident in the Bolton game a few weeks ago but United fans bang on about him as if he is the new Ronaldo for them, there is a big difference between a cult favourite and World Class, may get a start against some of the lower clubs and bang in a few goals though.

Under-rated: Clint Dempsey, the guy has been great for Fulham for the last few seasons and has popped up with some top goals for the (goal against Juve)...top class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Dean Delaney: Best keeper in irish football

sorry mate im even a shels fan myself and i think hes atrocious...

btw i wouldnt agree with you about shay given being overrated either

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Over-rated:Hernandez...guy has banged in a couple of goals but is never going to be much more than an impact sub as was evident in the Bolton game a few weeks ago but United fans bang on about him as if he is the new Ronaldo for them, there is a big difference between a cult favourite and World Class, may get a start against some of the lower clubs and bang in a few goals though.

17 goals so far in his debut season, already being picked over the league's top scorer for the bigger games, goals already against Liverpool and Chelsea, a double in the last round of the CL, 14 goals in 23 games fpr Mexico all suggest he's not just a squad player who'll score against smaller teams. The sky's the limit for how good he can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Under - Carrick

Had 1 good season when hargreaves was beside him been ****e since.
    eugeneious wrote: »
    Michael Dawson- For me only Vidic has preformed better this season in CB. Dawson is a great defender and really should start all of England's games. He's got pace strength and considering he's had so many different CBs play along side him at Spurs his level of consistency is quite remarkable.

Great shout, Spuds couldn't keep a clean sheet when he was injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Underrated

Jerome Thomas West Brom
    David Vaughan Blackpool
    Dickson Etuhu Fulham
    Moussa Dembele Fulham
    Antolin Alcaraz Wigan
    Alex Song Arsenal

Had 1 good season when hargreaves was beside him been ****e since.

Point proven. He has had a dip in form but to listen to the criticism he gets he shouldn't even be playng PL football.

Also get your facts right, his best season was before Hargreaves was even at the club. And Hargreave played large parts of his only full season at United playing wide right.

Turtyturd wrote: »

Under-rated: Clint Dempsey, the guy has been great for Fulham for the last few seasons and has popped up with some top goals for the (goal against Juve)...top class player.
    Hernandez is a very special player imo and Dempsey if anything is overrated. People never stop banging on about him.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Underrated

Jerome Thomas West Brom
    David Vaughan Blackpool
    Dickson Etuhu Fulham
    Moussa Dembele Fulham
    Antolin Alcaraz Wigan
    Alex Song Arsenal

Alcaraz had a great world cup but some of his defending for Wigan has been shocking this season. I've seen Caldwell getting visibly exapserated with him on the pitch earlier in the season for getting caught out of position.

Alcaraz had a great world cup but some of his defending for Wigan has been shocking this season. I've seen Caldwell getting visibly exapserated with him on the pitch earlier in the season for getting caught out of position.
    Maybe earlier on but for a good part of the season he has been brilliant for them.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Underrated

Jerome Thomas West Brom
    David Vaughan Blackpool
    Dickson Etuhu Fulham
    Moussa Dembele Fulham
    Antolin Alcaraz Wigan
    Alex Song Arsenal

Etuhu's a very good shout. I was gutted when Sunderland decided to let him go as I thought he was just about getting to grips with the Premier League at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I wont't mention utd players in either list in case it may appear biased. Though for the record I think Valencia and Rafael are underrated

Overrated:
    Michael Essien: It's not 2007 anymore. Imo he was only ever good then in Mourinho's system as Makelele's replacement. Never really got the hype tbh. Dirty fúcker to boot.

Franck Ribery: Possibly the most overrated player I have ever seen in my life. Has not done anything special any time I have ever seen him yet is constantly labelled world class. 3rd best winger at Bayern

Andy Carroll: 6th highest scorer in the championship last year = 35 million? I hear a lot of pool fans bang on about high hopes for him but all he can do is head the ball, score tap ins or hold up the ball, he seems decidedly average with the ball at his feet

Underrated:
    Marcelo: This lad has come on an absolute sight in the last year or so

Craig Gardner: Crucial part of the Birmingham midfield, and one that is more than capable of scoring crucial goals.

Matt Jarvis: Anybody else seen how good he can be for Wolves?

Emilio Izaguirre: Overlooked because he plays for Celtic. Actually a fine prospect at left back. Has attracted interest from Utd and Liverpool recently

Esteban Cambiasso: Been at the heartbeat of good Inter teams for years and was constantly overlooked.

Sergio Busquets: Is not Xavi or Iniesta. Yet, despite the occasional antics, is probably the best DM since Makelele

Oh, I'll throw in an underrated manager as well to boot:

Andre Villas Boas(Porto): Expect to be hearing a lot more about this fella in the coming years. Absolute genius and only 34. First name from the Mourinho coaching tree i believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

No surprise to see many defensive midfielders mentioned as underrated. Even defenders get more plaudits than the quiet concise passers and play breakers sitting in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Love how the majority of "underrated" players are players doing well at the middle and lower end of the PL. Maybe they are there for a reason? They do well in lesser teams. Are we saying everyone in football from fans to journalists to the top tier managers and their scouts really dont know what they are doing and how to spot good players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a different spin on it....

just a disclaimer...just because i may put players in overrated, doesn't mean i think they're crap; i just think they get a lot more credit then they perhaps deserve.

Overrated EPL XI

Begovic (Sto)
    Gallas (Spu)
    Upson (W'Ham)
    Dunne (Villa)
    Lescott (City)
    Barry (City)

Henderson (Sun)
    Arteta (Eve)
    N'Zogbia (Wig)
    Bale (Spu)
    Elmander (Bolt)

Underrated EPL XI

Al-Habsi (Wig)
    Salgado (Bla)
    Dawson (Spu)
    Bramble (Sun)
    Neville (Eve)
    Etuhu (Ful)

Fellaini (Eve)
    Valencia (Utd)
    Lee (Bol)
    Etherington (Stoke)
    Doyle (Wolves)

go nuts!! :D

it's all relative obviously, especially with those that are overrated, with some there better than others, some overrated by fans, some by players, some by journalists...but i do believe they get, in general, far more credit then they perhaps merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Overrated =

Bale
    Tevez
    Walcott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Overrated:

Gianluigi Buffon (I think the price tag blinds a lot of people. He lost to his rival on penalties in Euro 2008 and he hasn't been the best keeper in the world on top of that)
    Gareth Bale (Not worth £80 mill, 'nuff said)

Underrated:

Iker Casillas
    (Captained Spain to Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010, being to 1st keeper to captain a team to a Euro championship. Has been immense for Real Madrid for years and has 119 caps for Spain even though he isn't 30 yet. If he was playing for England he would be rated up there with Gordan Banks already)
    Gonzalo Higuaín. (doesn't get near enough attention, he got 29 goals in 40 games last season while Messi got 47 in 53, yet they are rated as on different planets from each other)

My own special players who are rated Overrated but are not:

Wayne Rooney (he may be looking normal sometimes, but he can turn it on at the right time (ie Chelsea away and bang them in for a while after)
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic (might not turn it on in Europe, well doesn't, but he is immense in Serie A)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

CorkMan wrote: »
    Gonzalo Higuaín. (doesn't get near enough attention, he got 29 goals in 40 games last season while Messi got 47 in 53, yet they are rated as on different planets from each other)

Maybe because they are?
    Higuain is a fantastic footballer, but he's not as good as Messi. Nor will he ever be.

Higuain's Games in his last 3 seasons: 105.
    Higains's Goals in his last 3 seasons: 63.

Messi's Games in his last 3 seasons: 149.
    Messi's Goals in his last 3 seasons: 132.

• Advertisement
Advertisement