Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Forgot about Chiellini. It's between him, Kompany and Thiago Silva for best centre half, but I think I'd (marginally) take Silva.

Don't let Mexes hear you mention Giorgio, he'll smack ya. DeBossi is much better than Busquets who I feel when Barca have their backs to the wall tends to go awol like their back 4. Yeah this happened De Rossi last year a lot under Zeman when you have 5 players in the opposition's final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

GTR63 wrote: »
    Don't let Mexes hear you mention Giorgio, he'll smack ya. DeBossi is much better than Busquets who I feel when Barca have their backs to the wall tends to go awol like their back 4. Yeah this happened De Rossi last year a lot under Zeman when you have 5 players in the opposition's final third.

To be fair I think it's more a case of Busquets being totally over worked then going awol. The confeds cup final was a great example in which Spain were simply overloaded when Brazil attacked.

Barca leave so much space at times it's more then one player(no matter how good) can fill. It's not exposed when they play their high intensity pressing game but in games where they've looked fatigued it's been brutally exposed. Real Madrid and Bayern tore them to bits for example.

That's why a player like Keita was so useful for Barca(he started away legs in the Champions league and tough league fixtures all the time), he gave them a bit of extra protection and they were a lot less exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nastasic is a bit underrated relative to his age. For a 20 year old to be playing consistently at the level he's at is very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Blatter wrote: »
    Nastasic is a bit underrated relative to his age. For a 20 year old to be playing consistently at the level he's at is very impressive.

Hamburg have a 17 year old playing a CB the last 5 games and he has done well enough to start every game from now on, he has made the TOTW as well. It's mad to see young, inexperienced players like Tah/Nastasic start in major leagues at such an important position.

Blatter wrote: »

I don't know if he's under-rated. I rate him highly personally and most lads I know do also. Think it's widely regarded he was one of City's best players last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

keano2012 wrote: »
    fair enough we'll agree to disagree....bit tired of your drivel. conclusion from all of this is that busquets probably is over rated. think thats fair to say.

over rated- robbie fowler
    over rated- zola
    under rated andy cole

Fowler was lethal at liverpool, 1 in 2 scoring record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

exactly up until last year he was over rated. now he proved he is the best striker in the league as well as winning the league therefore now under rated. RVP is a class act a real class act. top drawer striker.
    He was exactly as good as he is now at Arsenal for his last two seasons. And he wasn't rated any higher than he is now. Therefore, if he was overrated then, he must be at least as overrated now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

He was exactly as good as he is now at Arsenal for his last two seasons. And he wasn't rated any higher than he is now. Therefore, if he was overrated then, he must be at least as overrated now.

i disagree...he stepped his game up another notch when he joined united....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

why? just an opinion....fowler never won top honours with lpool ie the league/ champions league. they really are the only 2 club cups worth winnning IMO. he wsd good but way too over rated just because he was from lpool and playing the lpool

But shur who in gods name says you have to win major honors to be highly rated,what about all the countless muck who have won major honors, djimi traore for one,does he become world class cos he won the champs league- no he does not,would you rate alan shearer, he only won 1 league,garath bale hasnt won anything would you rate him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

why? just an opinion....fowler never won top honours with lpool ie the league/ champions league. they really are the only 2 club cups worth winnning IMO. he wsd good but way too over rated just because he was from lpool and playing the lpool

Thee most naturally gifted striker to grace the premier league and he is overrated? Thats not my opinion, plenty will say the same.

rob316 wrote: »
    Thee most naturally gifted striker to grace the premier league and he is overrated? Thats not my opinion, plenty will say the same.

i think le tissier and cole were better and more naturally gifted

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

rob316 wrote: »

Thierry Henry is the most naturally gifted striker to ever play in the PL. No one is near him IMO.

i disagree...he stepped his game up another notch when he joined united....

He was exactly the same last year as the year before, but instead of carrying a poor team to 4th, he carried an average team to the title.

In fact, he was arguably even better in his last year at Arsenal.. He scored 37 goals in 48, instead of 30 in 48.

If you can provide any measure by which he performed better at Utd (and by that I mean related to his performances, not"he won things" which is a nonsense argument, as he was in a better team) please do.

Saying he stepped up his game another notch seems absurd. In what way did he do so?

Not G.R wrote: »
    Thierry Henry is the most naturally gifted striker to ever play in the PL. No one is near him IMO.

good point...agree with u there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

over rated- zola
    under rated andy cole

Zola was a little genius. The debate used to be Juninho or Zola and everyone always said Juninho. Zola was underrated when he first came to England.

That's Andy Cole, Dwight Yorke, Berg, Rafael and Butt who you say are underrated. Anyone United players that aren't underrated. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

i think le tissier and cole were better and more naturally gifted

2 pfa young player of the year in a row , fastest ever pl hat trick, the only player to score 30+ goals in each of his first 3 full seasons,says not;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Thread has been cleaned up. Stay on topic from here in folks, or the thread goes.

No petty sniping and no spamming of the thread with lengthy and completely off topic posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

What the hell does naturally gifted mean?

google matt le tissier for a definition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

People who dont have to push themselves in training to achieve their goals

• Advertisement

google matt le tissier for a definition

I googled him. Can't find anything on all the trophies he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Some people won't like this one but I think De Gea is massively overated.
    If he played for another club It would be different I think.

Dempsey wrote: »

Sounds like a load of hokum to me. Just because certain players are a bit too fond of their food and don't like to run too much doesn't mean they haven't spend countless hours working on the aspects of their game they enjoy most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Some people won't like this one but I think De Gea is massively overated.
    If he played for another club It would be different I think.

He's a quality goalkeeper in a league lacking quality goalkeepers. That Giacherrini save v Sunderland at the weekend was world class, and united would have dropped points were it not for him. He's by no means the finished article, but I do rate him, and in goalkeeping years he's only a novice.

Sounds like a load of hokum to me. Just because certain players are a bit too fond of their food and don't like to run too much doesn't mean they haven't spend countless hours working on the aspects of their game they enjoy most.

Ronaldinho is a prime example of someone that declined early because they stopped pushing themselves in training and took the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

What a nonsense anwser, Totti would have won alot more if he left Roma I suppose he wasnt class either!
    Clueless Naive Comment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

buyer95 wrote: »
    He's a quality goalkeeper in a league lacking quality goalkeepers. That Giacherrini save v Sunderland at the weekend was world class, and united would have dropped points were it not for him. He's by no means the finished article, but I do rate him, and in goalkeeping years he's only a novice.

Very shakey on crosses and I think that has got to do with his size which I dont ever see changing.
    I just dont think he's got a presence about him in goals.
    If I was an opposing manager I would be targeting him as a weakness.
    Not many world class keepers around but personally he would be down the pecking order for me

Ronaldinho is a prime example of someone that declined early because they stopped pushing themselves in training and took the piss

Yeah, he is.

astonaidan wrote: »
    What a nonsense anwser, Totti would have won alot more if he left Roma I suppose he wasnt class either!
    Clueless Naive Comment!!

We really comparing Roma to Southampton? Compare the amount of international caps they have as well while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

astonaidan wrote: »
    Clueless Naive Comment!!

89343d1279729386-roma-rebuilding-roman-empire-francesco-totti.jpg

OH Wait, its not so bad.

article-0-04F7167E0000044D-255_306x469.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Very shakey on crosses and I think that has got to do with his size which I dont ever see changing.
    I just dont think he's got a presence about him in goals.
    If I was an opposing manager I would be targeting him as a weakness.
    Not many world class keepers around but personally he would be down the pecking order for me

De Gea has made massive improvements to his game, and will continue to get better. He has been brilliant consistently for a while at this stage but a stereotype is hard to shift.

I wouldn't consider him over rated by much, or under rated by much, on the whole. Some people are whack jobs, this goes without saying. But most recognise his ability, his improvement in the last couple of seasons and the potential he has to be the best in the world.

He is so young

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

We really comparing Roma to Southampton? Compare the amount of international caps they have as well while you're at it.

The number of caps can be meaningless:

Fowler - 26
    Wright - 33
    Darren Bent - 13
    Heskey - 62
    Le Tissier - 8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Example:
    cassano.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I know you guys like to hear what guys like Xavi say so here goes:
    "The man I absolutely loved watching as a kid was Matt Le Tissier after seeing the highlights of his extraordinary goals. His talent was out of the norm. He could dribble past seven or eight players but without speed - he just walked past them. For me he was sensational. We had a programme on Spanish TV with the best goals from around Europe. He was always the star."

So 'natural' is a nice way of basically saying a player was a lazy underachiever?

i said he was the exception. read posts properly before posting nonsense.

under rated: Schweinsteiger

makes busquets look like a schoolboy

He was exactly the same last year as the year before, but instead of carrying a poor team to 4th, he carried an average team to the title.

In fact, he was arguably even better in his last year at Arsenal.. He scored 37 goals in 48, instead of 30 in 48.

If you can provide any measure by which he performed better at Utd (and by that I mean related to his performances, not"he won things" which is a nonsense argument, as he was in a better team) please do.

Saying he stepped up his game another notch seems absurd. In what way did he do so?

Still waiting on a reply to this one.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

wprathead wrote: »
    Very Underrated Player:
    Darijo Srna

How a big team (no disrespect to Shaktar) never snapped him up is beyond me

Maybe in 2006-2010, yeah.. coming from someone who badly wanted him at Liverpool after they missed out on Dani Alves. I'd say he is more unknown than being rated/underrated though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

under rated: Schweinsteiger

makes busquets look like a schoolboy

Under rated? By who? Anybody that watches football knows Schweinsteiger is a brilliant footballer.

Next you'll be throwing in Ronaldo or Messi as under/overrated to suit whatever argument you're trying to make.

Some of the suggestions, especially for those who consider X player overrated are mind boggling.

The fact you needed to google him says it all tbh.

Moneymaker wrote: »

The fact you took it literally says it all tbh.

Of course i am familiar with Le Tiss, although i did need to brush up on his trophies won (0) and caps earned (8).

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Under rated? By who? Anybody that watches football knows Schweinsteiger is a brilliant footballer.

Next you'll be throwing in Ronaldo or Messi as under/overrated to suit whatever argument you're trying to make.

fcuk it busquest was mentioned as under rated. anybody tha watches football knows he over rated. so if buquets is under rated....then Schweinsteiger certainly is. I love Schweinsteiger...class act...but for some reason never gets mentioned in the same light as xavi/iniesta/pirlo et al etc.....when he should be. super player

Moneymaker wrote: »

that caps thing is a joke....bruce and pallister got barely any as well. all that proves is that the england managers hadnt a clue.....

• Advertisement

that caps thing is a joke....bruce and pallister got barely any as well. all that proves is that the england managers hadnt a clue.....

Or maybe there was better first choice defenders available....

head+slam+into+wall.+its+pretty+much+in+the+title_fb940a_3773160.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

fcuk it busquest was mentioned as under rated. anybody tha watches football knows he over rated. so if buquets is under rated....then Schweinsteiger certainly is. I love Schweinsteiger...class act...but for some reason never gets mentioned in the same light as xavi/iniesta/pirlo et al etc.....when he should be. super player

Nobody said Busquets was under-rated :confused: it all started when you said he was over-rated.

Of course everyone who watches football knows this and thats why he doesnt play for Barca or Spain reguarly at all, sure you can reguarly see Busquets on the side line of some Spanish Sunday League team.

If you ask someone to name their top 5 CM's right now Schweinsteiger would be in and around the majority of peoples lists.

The fact you took it literally says it all tbh.

Of course i am familiar with Le Tiss, although i did need to brush up on his trophies won (0) and caps earned (8).

Did you ever watch Le Tissier play? Not youtube videos, but an actual live game you personally witnessed?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Nobody said Busquets was under-rated :confused: it all started when you said he was over-rated.

Of course everyone who watches football knows this and thats why he doesnt play for Barca or Spain reguarly at all, sure you can reguarly see Busquets on the side line of some Spanish Sunday League team.

If you ask someone to name their top 5 CM's right now Schweinsteiger would be in and around the majority of peoples lists.

ya but other people on here were saying he was under rated hence the arguments. look i gave my opinion that i felt Schweinsteiger was under rated because he never mentioned in the same bracket as pirlo,xavi, iniesta when he should. I think you are just content on arguing every single little detail. We already have a mod warning for going off topic on this- yet here you are as a mod dragging this up again and dribbling more garbage. all you have to say is you disagree with and then name someone who you think is under/over rated.

over rated- martin keown

• Advertisement
Advertisement