Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Did you ever watch Le Tissier play? Not youtube videos, but an actual live game you personally witnessed?

Not in the flesh, i'm sorry to say, but on television countless times yes. A talented player guilty of going missing for large periods of games but capable of moments of brilliance. Lazy and lacking in ambition though. Happier being a big fish in a small pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

keano2012 wrote: »
    ya but other people on here were saying he was under rated hence the arguments. look i gave my opinion that i felt Schweinsteiger was under rated because he never mentioned in the same bracket as pirlo,xavi, iniesta when he should. I think you are just content on arguing every single little detail. We already have a mod warning for going off topic on this- yet here you are as a mod dragging this up again and dribbling more garbage. all you have to say is you disagree with and then name someone who you think is under/over rated.

over rated- martin keown

I dont think you get the point of a discussion, your posts and suggestions, by and large, have been absolute tripe.

Some of your suggestions for under/overrated are some of the most laughable posts on here in awhile.

The fact is you said Busquets was overrated, no matter how wrong you are, its your opinion and one that the majority disagree with, yet nearly 24hours later yuo are starting the Busquets debate again becuase you feel Schweinsteiger is underrated, again, incorrect, as you say yourself, anyone that watches football can see hes not underrated, not by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont think you get the point of a discussion, your posts and suggestions, by and large, have been absolute tripe.

Some of your suggestions for under/overrated are some of the most laughable posts on here in awhile.

The fact is you said Busquets was overrated, no matter how wrong you are, its your opinion and one that the majority disagree with, yet nearly 24hours later yuo are starting the Busquets debate again becuase you feel Schweinsteiger is underrated, again, incorrect, as you say yourself, anyone that watches football can see hes not underrated, not by a long shot.

i disagree...i have put some good players forward for being over/under rated- unlike yourself who consistantly just want to go off topic and have an argument- you talk tripe son!

under rated - david may
    over rated- ian wright
    over rated- frank le beouf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Over-Rated = Daniel Agger

Under Rated = Phil Jagielka

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

i disagree...i have put some good players forward for being over/under rated- unlike yourself who consistantly just want to go off topic and have an argument- you talk tripe son!

under rated - david may
    over rated- ian wright

Out of interest. In what way was Ian Wright overrated?
    You do know that he scored a few goals in his career dont you?

ronjo wrote: »
    Out of interest. In what way was Ian Wright overrated?
    You do know that he scored a few goals in his career dont you?

see the robbie fowler debate earlier

under rated - david may
    over rated- ian wright

Again, thats your opinion and for anybody to take you seriously you may want to post why you think some great players are overrated and why some very average players are underrated, otherwise people will just ignore you for stating very poor personal opinions without any reason to back it up.

Take the above 3, you have an average to decent CB at under rated, a WC winning CB at over rated and one of the EPL greatest CF's at over rated.

Without giving any reason, thats really insightful if I do say so myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

under rated - david may
    over rated- ian wright
    The same Ian Wright who broke Arsenal's goalscoring record within 6 years at the club? I don't particularly like him as a man but he was a superb player.

see the robbie fowler debate earlier

Why? I want to know why you think Wright is overrated not Fowler?

Although as an aside I have no idea how anyone could think Fowler was overrated.

Although as an aside I have no idea how anyone could think Fowler was overrated.

i thought fowler was over rated as well. Didnt score goals in the champions league or at the highest level internationally. Didnt win anything of significance either.

fain enough on le beouf. but didnt win anything in the premier league.
    may was part of the treble winning team at united

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As an underrated player, I'll go with Ronny Johnsen. He was injured so much he's easily forgotten, but when he played he was a brilliant defender.
    The fact you took it literally says it all tbh.

Of course i am familiar with Le Tiss, although i did need to brush up on his trophies won (0) and caps earned (8).
    Trophies does not equal player quality. Roberto Baggio played till he was in his late 30's. He has 2 league titles, a coppa italia and uefa cup.
    John O'Shea has 5 league titles, an FA cup and a champions league.
    By your "how many trophies" logic, John O'Shea is a better player.

Both are fairly highly rated tbh, and righly so. I'd rather have Ian Wright playing for my team than a Robbie Fowler though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

under rated - david may
    over rated- ian wright

Honestly, it makes me sad that you support Man United too.

It does.

Well done on the thread though, its been an excellent filter. I certainly know exactly how much credence to give to your opinion/level of sincerity in the future (for as long as you last)

i thought fowler was over rated as well. Didnt score goals in the champions league or at the highest level internationally. Didnt win anything of significance either.

fain enough on le beouf. but didnt win anything in the premier league.
    may was part of the treble winning team at united

Thats wonderful that you talk about Fowler, LeBouef and May when I was asking you a question about Ian Wright???

Thats wonderful that you talk about Fowler, LeBouef and May when I was asking you a question about Ian Wright???

exact same applied to both players...seriously ronjo....u this slow on copping onto everything else?

exact same applied to both players...seriously ronjo....u this slow on copping onto everything else?

So you are unable to answer and resort to insults.

Wright won quite a bit in his career and you know it.

Cheers !

Cheers !

See, great filter isn't it :)

Wright won quite a bit in his career and you know it.

Cheers !

ok- ill accept your ian wright one- maybe i was a bit harsh. still he's no Bergkamp or Henry. Defo better than fowler tho

kryogen wrote: »
    See, great filter isn't it :)

ur still here??

seriously i gave opnions on over/under rated players....maybe stop trolling and offer your opinions on footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Can't really see how David May is underrated either. Must have been underrated by Fergie too, seeing as he didn't even get a league medal in 99. Just a nothing player really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Keano2012 Do not post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

We really comparing Roma to Southampton? Compare the amount of international caps they have as well while you're at it.
    No Im comparing the fact that both would have won more if they hadnt been loyal to there boyhood clubs.
    You really obviously know nothing about football

Kess73 wrote: »

seriously...for giving an opinion......

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Kess73 wrote: »

Pity. I wanted to hear his opinion on How Jordi Cruyff, Klebersson and anyone else to ever play for Man Utd was underrated while hearing that Vialli, Barnes and Bergkamp were overrated.

5starpool wrote: »
    Pity. I wanted to hear his opinion on How Jordi Cruyff, Klebersson and anyone else to ever play for Man Utd was underrated while hearing that Vialli, Barnes and Bergkamp were overrated.

never menttioned any of them. now whos instigating things......

• Advertisement

ur still here??

seriously i gave opnions on over/under rated players....maybe stop trolling and offer your opinions on footballers.

I sure am, its like one of those train wrecks that you cant look away from I guess.

You have given opinions? Jesus that's great! You haven't actually backed up these opinions with anything close to logic so how can you expect to be treated with anything other then mild amusement/annoyance?

How do you have the balls to demand others debate with you when you have no idea how to do it?

Carry on though, its passing the boredom for me

Ah listen will you delete the two posts you made after you were told, by a mod not to post in the thread again? I would hate to see you banned for ignoring the warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Keano2012 cannot respond to any replies to his posts from here in, so please do not reply to or quote his posts

5starpool wrote: »

Like I said, its embarrassing that he supports United too, but amusing!

Ill give one of my own while Im here

Ill just stick to the one team for this in fact

Real Madrid

Over rated player: Sami Khedeira

He is by and large a let down for me, he showed promise and potential early in his career, but even before his move to Madrid he never overwhelmed me in Germany. He had a decent tournament that year and his reputation appears to have been built mainly because of that.

He is a decent water carrier alright, but to be almost an automatic starter for one of the biggest clubs in the world for the last few years is mind boggling to me.

Under rated : Pepe

Genuinely should be held up there as one of the better cb's in the world, he has everything needed to be in the top tier physically and defensive instinct wise however him being an incredible hot head and at times a liability on the field will prevent him from ever getting the recognition his undoubted ability deserves.

You may disagree of course, and I have no problem with that

Screw it, feel its my time to throw a spanner in the works

Overrated
    -Anders Townsend
    -David Healy back in the day
    -Fraser Foster

Underrated
    -Di Natale
    -Dion Dublin
    -Chris Smalling

Just a quick word about Zlatan, ridiculous that he still gets doubted hes without a doubt the third best player in the world.
    Single handedly won AC the title in his first season with the clown that is in charge of them anyone should see that

• Advertisement

I agree on Pepe, although on the flip side of the Busquets antics, Pepe is a liabilty, hes as likely to get sent off as he is to contribute to a good defensive display, although he does have a wealth of ability at his disposal its how he applies himself at times that leaves something to be desired.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

As I eluded to before in this thread and other threads previously (Real Madrid or Portugal related namely), Pepe has everything going for him. Physical attributes in abundance along with being a decent reader of the game and is in't afraid to get on the ball. Problem is that red mist moments he tends to have, notably in the big games which is holding back from being in the top tier of CB.

Busquets just falls to the ground like he's been shot. Pepe is the one with the gun :pac:

Bit of a shame really. You can understand why Madrid spent the amount they did in getting him in the first place with that being said.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Just a few different names I'll throw out there.

Borja Valero, Rakatic, Langerak, Volland, Abdennour, Kiyotake and Arango for me are cast under the underrated tag, for a few different reasons whether that be the fans they play for underrating them, their coach, due to past so called failures and whatever else. Probably way more I could name, but it's late and some posts here have me still banging my head off a wall repeatedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Damb it i only came in here to gain some more wonderfull insight into keanos knowledge of everything over rated:D

Cienciano wrote: »
    As an underrated player, I'll go with Ronny Johnsen. He was injured so much he's easily forgotten, but when he played he was a brilliant defender.

Trophies does not equal player quality. Roberto Baggio played till he was in his late 30's. He has 2 league titles, a coppa italia and uefa cup.
    John O'Shea has 5 league titles, an FA cup and a champions league.
    By your "how many trophies" logic, John O'Shea is a better player.

Roberto Baggio is a far superior player to Le Tiss, dumb comparison.

astonaidan wrote: »
    No Im comparing the fact that both would have won more if they hadnt been loyal to there boyhood clubs.
    You really obviously know nothing about football

Was he so loyal to Southampton that he couldn't carve out a semi decent international career?

Ok here are a few others
    Over rated
    David luiz
    Grard pique
    Ibrahimovic
    Carrick
    Ashley williams

Underated
    Jaskalinen(gk)
    Odemwinge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thomas Muller is the most underrated player.
    Any english player is overrated.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ok here are a few others
    Over rated
    David luiz
    Grard pique
    Ibrahimovic
    Carrick
    Ashley williams

Underated
    Jaskalinen(gk)
    Odemwinge

I think Ibrahimovic is a fantastic defender. I always thought he didn't get as much credit as he deserves and would probably say he's underrated myself.

Carrick is both underrated and overrated at times!

I agree with Ashley Williams somewhat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Over rated: Michael Carrick

Granted he's not a terrible player but what is it he actually does that makes people think he's a class act? He makes a lot of what are usually simple passes occasionally trying the long diagonal one. Does a job for United but if we are talking about a class midfield he wouldn't be near it for me. He would be easily replaceable imo. Got man of the match in a game a couple of weeks ago (Palace?) I barely heard his name being mentioned throughout.

Under rated: Mousa Dembele

Another one off the Belgian production line. Big powerful physical lad, puts himself about and can play anywhere on the pitch if you asked him. Definitely dangerous to play against. Criminally under rated for me.

Honorable mention for Scholes in his hay day and Oscar

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Borja Valero, Rakatic, Langerak, Volland, Abdennour, Kiyotake and Arango for me are cast under the underrated tag, for a few different reasons whether that be the fans they play for underrating them, their coach, due to past so called failures and whatever else. Probably way more I could name, but it's late and some posts here have me still banging my head off a wall repeatedly.
    If were talking about the Mallorca/Gladbach player 100% agree with you, hes class.
    Borja Valero has the shadow of underperforming at WBA to hold him back in premier league fans eyes. They will refuse to notice anything else.
    I tried to explain on here when Villa were getting linked to Kiyotake that I thought he was the player Steven Ireland should be, so if people hate him Ill take the blaim for that :(

Was he so loyal to Southampton that he couldn't carve out a semi decent international career?
    I think its widely agreed if Le Tissier was from another country Spain, Italy etc. that he would have got alot more recognition. England like Ireland dont know what to do with players who dont fit the 442 stereotype.
    Once again international caps/Titles arent everything to rate a player by.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Once again international caps/Titles arent everything to rate a player by.

Neither is a spectacular highlight reel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Over rated: Michael Carrick

Granted he's not a terrible player but what is it he actually does that makes people think he's a class act? He makes a lot of what are usually simple passes occasionally trying the long diagonal one. Does a job for United but if we are talking about a class midfield he wouldn't be near it for me. He would be easily replaceable imo. Got man of the match in a game a couple of weeks ago (Palace?) I barely heard his name being mentioned throughout.

Under rated: Mousa Dembele

Another one off the Belgian production line. Big powerful physical lad, puts himself about and can play anywhere on the pitch if you asked him. Definitely dangerous to play against. Criminally under rated for me.

Honorable mention for Scholes in his hay day and Oscar

I think Carrick went a couple of seasons being heavily underrated, which has made people not only rate him, but now overrate him.
    You've said it pretty clearly, he does a job.

I remember United were linked with Dembele in the past, thought he would have been a great signing. He's physical in the same sense as Fellaini, and would have the potential to offer anything that Carrick offers and more. Don't think he would have cost 28m either!

Roberto Baggio is a far superior player to Le Tiss, dumb comparison.
    Who compared the 2? Not me. All I said was a players trophy haul isn't how you rate a player, which you suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Over rated - Gerrard

Under rated - dembele

Over rated - Gerrard

Under rated - dembele

Why do you think gerrard is over rated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Why do you think gerrard is over rated?

Gerrard is a great footballer I just think he is really over rated.. Especially the last two years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sol Campbell most under rated player, in his prime he's he was miles better than the likes of vidic, terry , Rio etc

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Borja Valero, Rakatic, Langerak, Volland, Abdennour, Kiyotake and Arango for me are cast under the underrated tag,

Too many obvious names here. Can you think of anyone more obscure?

Advertisement