Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Sol Campbell most under rated player, in his prime he's he was miles better than the likes of vidic, terry , Rio etc

You could throw staam in there as well him and Campbell are two of the best players I remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

There are some very thick posts in this thread. Contender for thread of the year perhaps?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Sol Campbell most under rated player, in his prime he's he was miles better than the likes of vidic, terry , Rio etc

And was respected as such.

He certainly got his recognition tbf, top defender

kryogen wrote: »
    There are some very thick posts in this thread. Contender for thread of the year perhaps?

Examples??

Examples??

Ah come on boi theres 605 posts, surely you can find a few yourself? Even just look at the last couple of pages if you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Gerrard is a great footballer I just think he is really over rated.. Especially the last two years...

Well tbf he is kinda getting on a bit now too,plus he is playing much more defensivly of late, i think all great footballers tend to tail off towards the end of their career and gerrard is no different i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Di Natale is a great shout for under rated. Fantastic player who's scored a stupid number of goals for an average team.

Lichsteiner is another for me. Arguably the best full back in the world imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Too many obvious names here. Can you think of anyone more obscure?

Har har.

Hardly obscure if you don't live in the super duper, mighty EPL bubble like the majority of the forum do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Di Natale is a great shout for under rated. Fantastic player who's scored a stupid number of goals for an average team.

Lichsteiner is another for me. Arguably the best full back in the world imo.

Di Natale is awesome, so good. The goals he scores are top notch as well, rarely a tap in to be seen. Lichtsteiner is awesome, but best fullback is/was Phil Lahm (defensive midfielder now it seems), and then it's a tossup between Lichtsteiner and David Alaba.

*awaits Andersonisgod with Jordi Alba*

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Har har.

Hardly obscure if you don't live in the super duper, mighty EPL bubble like the majority of the forum do.

Generalising the majority of the soccer forum... Ok then :P

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Har har.

That's why I asked you if you could come up with more obscure examples.

To clichéd footballing hipsters like you and I they are the Pat Hobans and Conan Byrnes of European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Problem seems to be people that people are comparing their opinion of a player, with what they perceive other people think. Maybe they just aren't in tune with what other people think..
    Like, Schweinsteiger, Thomas Muller, down as under-rated. May as well throw in Messi & Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Just a few different names I'll throw out there.

Borja Valero, Rakatic, Langerak, Volland, Abdennour, Kiyotake and Arango for me are cast under the underrated tag, for a few different reasons whether that be the fans they play for underrating them, their coach, due to past so called failures and whatever else. Probably way more I could name, but it's late and some posts here have me still banging my head off a wall repeatedly.

Mitchell Langerak ?

Ill give it a go for ya

Dennie Praet, Adrien Rabiot, Max Kruse, Daley Blind, Kiyotake (think he was mentioned actually) Tonny Vilhena.

Big strides forward taken the last 12 months for most of them, hoping for more this season cause I have my eye on a couple of them for United

Question for you directly actually Nuri

I have been trying to keep an eye out for Moritz Leitner ever since I got him on loan at Grasshopper in a game of FIFA :)

He seems to be making good progress now, can you tell me what you think of him and what you think his future prospects are? You would see him a lot more then me obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

As a Bundesliga fan who knows all of those players mentioned pretty well (except Valero), your sarcasm went right over my head!

The only one I disagree with is Langerak. He has only played a handful of Bundesliga games so you can't overrate/underrate him at this point. Kiyotake/Volland might be unknowns to most on here, but in Germany they are well respected, as is Rakitic. Letting him leave was one of Magath's worst transfer decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Mathieu Valbuena is another under rated imo. Antoinne Griezmann qualifies also.

Up til this season i'd have said Alexis Sanchez is over-rated, he's had a great start for Barca though so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

astonaidan wrote: »
    Just a quick word about Zlatan, ridiculous that he still gets doubted hes without a doubt the third best player in the world.
    Single handedly won AC the title in his first season with the clown that is in charge of them anyone should see that
    So true
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    I think Ibrahimovic is a fantastic defender.

Not that great at FB , would be better suited to CB because of his height imo :pac:

Di Natale is a great shout for underrated, has been brilliant for years

Underrated -
    Edinson Cavani - People still doubt him based on a few bad games for Uruguay where he is played out of position. The stats and performances speak for themselves.

Éver Banega - Great passing skill set, recovered well from a bad injury

Nigel De Jong - Been in blistering form for a Milan team that's playing terribly at the minute. How City sold him for under €5m I'll never know (his contract didn't have too long on it mind you) and then they replace him with Fernandinho who is, imo, an inferior player. Also recovered well from a bad injury

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How can a man who was sold for €60m+ be under rated?

5starpool wrote: »

Maybe not underrated by PSG, but pretty much all of my mates say he's nowhere near Suarez, for example. Which is bull.

• Advertisement

There is the essence of why these discussions are kinda stupid.

A player can be underrated by fans while also being overrated by his manager at the same time

Well the price he goes for is irrelevant really. That's exactly like saying "How can a player who was bought for free be overrated?"

In terms of people's opinions on him and his ability, I regularly read online and talk to people who say he isn't that good, he's terrible on the ball, he only scores tap ins etc. etc. when it's just not true.

The fact is that his price tag was justifiable given the current transfer market prices and his age, ability etc. but there are many people who are shocked he went for anything over €30m :p

Maybe not underrated by PSG, but pretty much all of my mates say he's nowhere near Suarez, for example. Which is bull.

Loads and loads and loads of people recognise the brilliance that is Ibra

Loads and loads and loads cant see it.

That's football!

Loads and loads and loads of people recognise the brilliance that is Ibra

Loads and loads and loads cant see it.

That's football!

We're talking about Cavani?

Generalising the majority of the soccer forum... Ok then :P

Am I wrong? Majority are EPL club supporters who watch the EPL and pretty much solely that.
    That's why I asked you if you could come up with more obscure examples.

To clichéd footballing hipsters like you and I they are the Pat Hobans and Conan Byrnes of European football.

This goes back to my point the other day about unknown players v overrated/underrated players. It's a fine line.

I really like the names Kyrogen listed in his post for example. Rabiot and Vilhena especially since I've rambled on about them in the Liverpool thread. But I disagree about them being underrated, I think anyone who has seen them rates them and rightly so.
    Mitchell Langerak ?

Yup.

Question for you directly actually Nuri

I have been trying to keep an eye out for Moritz Leitner ever since I got him on loan at Grasshopper in a game of FIFA :)

He seems to be making good progress now, can you tell me what you think of him and what you think his future prospects are? You would see him a lot more then me obviously

Well, he's on loan for 2 seasons with Stuttgart and the lad himself is very keen to prove himself out there He really pushed the idea of going on loan for 2 seasons actually with his contract at Dortmund being extended another 2 years in turn.

I've not watched much of Stuttgart this season, but as you said, he's making decent if unsurprising progress now he's getting regular football which he so badly needed at his age. With Dortmund's midfield as it is, it's stacked and it was always going to be difficult for him to break through to be a starter. Even when he did come on for us, he played RW in place of Kuba usually. He can play there, but it's a waste of his ability. You want him either playing as CAM or CM because of his strengths on being very composed on the ball for someone so young of age and a good eye for picking out the pass, the right pass at that.

I'm still somewhat hopeful he'll come back to us and become a regular starter in the future. The ultimate question is where he'll play? Mkh will be here for a couple of years at the very least. Nuri's loan is up next season. I'm fairly sure he'll be officially resigned to the club on a permanent deal given his form this season. Gündogan I could see leaving, but in a couple of years which coincides with his return. I'll be shocked if he leaves next summer. Hofmann breaking into the side will also cause him problems in the CAM area, even if Hofmann tends to play wide so far, cutting in from the either side. I don't see Klopp deviating much from his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation, so with Bender being an integral part of the team, as long as he is at the club, his place is nailed on. Oh and not forgetting Reus too who can play the CAM role!
    Oat23 wrote: »
    As a Bundesliga fan who knows all of those players mentioned pretty well (except Valero), your sarcasm went right over my head!

The only one I disagree with is Langerak. He has only played a handful of Bundesliga games so you can't overrate/underrate him at this point. Kiyotake/Volland might be unknowns to most on here, but in Germany they are well respected, as is Rakitic. Letting him leave was one of Magath's worst transfer decisions.

In Klopp's eyes he's underrated Oatsey! :(:(:(
    Actually, a lot of our supporters are fully behind Weidenfeller being our No.1 as I've eluded to in the Bundesliga thread.

Rakitic doesn't get the credit he deserves in Spain IMO.
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    Mathieu Valbuena is another under rated imo. Antoinne Griezmann qualifies also.

Up til this season i'd have said Alexis Sanchez is over-rated, he's had a great start for Barca though so far.

Valbuena is one of the best shouts in the thread. Embarrassed I forgot him. One of my favourite players around.

Griezmann is regarded fairly highly at this stage and rightly so.

We're talking about Cavani?

My apologies in that case. Was replying to 5starpool who I thought was talking about Ibra....

Either way, just swap the names and its not too far off anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If anything Di Natale is overrated. Everybody talks about how great he is all the time, I never heard anybody say anything bad about him or even say he is not a wonderful player.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If anything Di Natale is overrated. Everybody talks about how great he is all the time, I never heard anybody say anything bad about him or even say he is not a wonderful player.

I don't think that any player who gets the credit he deserves can be called overrated.

I don't think he does get enough credit personally but you're right, he is held in fairly high regard but that has only been since the last couple of years whereas he's been excellent for a long time

An awful lot of football manager addicts in this thread I'd say, it's gas how everyone tries to be different. Who gives a ****! At least be controversial!

• Advertisement

Maybe not underrated, but under-recognised is a better term. Certainly not overrated, he's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

An awful lot of football manager addicts in this thread I'd say, it's gas how everyone tries to be different. Who gives a ****! At least be controversial!

If anything there is a large amount of snobbery going on here. Slate Ibra and it's "oh you obviously don't watch le championnat every week, do you?" No, i don't. But i do watch the champions league where he has been muck in pretty much every meaningful game he has played in over the last 8 or so seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You cant compare the two players they are both different types of forwards. Suarez minus all the bull**** that goes with him is the better player though.
    If you want to talk purely goals though Suarez has 38 goals in 71 games for Uruguay where as Cavani only has 18 in 55. Cavani in his 3 years at Napoli has an incredibly good record though with 104 goals in 138 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Big fan of Francesco Lodi at Genoa, meant to be heading back to Catania aswell. Always liked Sorin for Argentina who never settled anywhere during his career. Cerci has been great for Torino after bad times with Roma and Fiorentina. Agree with the earlier poster Lebouf was crap, has a big head on him then.

If anything there is a large amount of snobbery going on here. Slate Ibra and it's "oh you obviously don't watch le championnat every week, do you?" No, i don't. But i do watch the champions league where he has been muck in pretty much every meaningful game he has played in over the last 8 or so seasons.

He has 22 goals and 17 assists in 57 apps in Europe in the past 8 seasons.

You probably missed a few games along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Clearly the first one that sprung to mind for me as an Arsenal fan was the game were he scored two goals against us for Barcelona :mad:.

• Advertisement

Name them.

Have watched Ibrahimovic play in at least 175+ full matches, half of which for the team I support and the rest for other teams, plus I have seen bits and pieces of him for other clubs and at International level.

It's one of those things where it's not really a matter of opinion. Saying Ibrahimovic isn't top class is like saying Walcott isn't fast - quite simply you're wrong. Anybody who knows football will know how good he is and while he isn't everyone's cup of tea, he is undeniable class.

I seem to argue this one every other week and he must be the most widely discredited top class player in ages :rolleyes:

Really hope he doesn't move to the Premiership in his twilight years as I'd hate to see him make the move when he is past his prime and when he plays to a lower level than he has been at for the last 8 years, you'll have to hear people say "Sure I told you he was sh**e all along".

I don't mean to be rude but f you think Ibrahimovic has been muck in the CL for the last 8 years you are obviously clueless about football.

Flat track bully. You missed the part where i said "meaningful games".

Not saying he's not a very good player, but the third best in the world as some have said on here??? He wasn't even in the top 3 at Barca ffs.

Flat track bully. You missed the part where i said "meaningful games".

Not saying he's not a very good player, but the third best in the world as some have said on here??? He wasn't even in the top 3 at Barca ffs.

Its always nice when you have that security of knowing that your opinion like whats written in the quoted post, is absolute fact isn't it? Nice to see that sort of arrogance on here. Not enough of it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Seriously this Ibra thing is getting fcuking tiresome at this stage, can we have a filter here that anyone that can't clearly recognise the genius that he is be banished to some sub forum, say the knitting forum or the likes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Its always nice when you have that security of knowing that your opinion like whats written in the quoted post, is absolute fact isn't it?

Not really, no.

Ibra's hair is underrated IMHO.

Not really, no.

Its not nice?

Fair enough. Would have thought that kind of security would be sweet, ah well, you live and you learn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ibra's hair is underrated IMHO.

It's no bendtner samurai doo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Overrated - Ryan Giggs, Ashley Young, Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Joe Hart

Underrated - Brad Friedel, Lucas, Defoe, Jonny Evans, Christian Erikson, Ivanovic

Giggs and Gerrard overrated?

Both are past their best but Jaysus.

Overrated : Messi

Underrated : Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ashley Young has been mentioned so many times in this thread. Who actually rates him?

Giggs and Gerrard overrated?

Both are past their best but Jaysus.

I just think that both of them have a frequent tendency to go completely missing in games. Obviously both of them have had incredible games for their clubs along with huge lengths of service but I honestly think they are a bit overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Quandary wrote: »
    I just think that both of them have a frequent tendency to go completely missing in games. Obviously both of them have had incredible games for their clubs along with huge lengths of service but I honestly think they are a bit overrated.
    Gerrard has been MoM in games more times than most people in the Premier League over his career, he has turned up in the big games too so I don't think its fair to say he is overrated.

Giggs has been a phenomenal player for a long, long time. Another of the greatest in the history of the Premier League. I've enjoyed watching his whole career.

Gerrard has been MoM in games more times than most people in the Premier League over his career, he has turned up in the big games too so I don't think its fair to say he is overrated.

Giggs has been a phenomenal player for a long, long time. Another of the greatest in the history of the Premier League. I've enjoyed watching his whole career.

I think Gerrard is too up and down. When he's not on his game he is barely noticeable on the pitch. Also,for a captain, he plays too much of an individual game if that makes sense.

As for Giggs, he is probably my all time favourite Utd player. He has completely changed his game from being a very dangerous jinky winger to play a cm role to a semi decent level. His commitment(to Utd ;) ) is unquestionable and I don't think anyone will earn more caps for Utd than him in my lifetime. All that being said though, he has had some very poor stints in his career where he was off the boil for long long periods at a time and similar to Gerrard, when he is on an off night he offers little or nothing. Recent years have made me a bit more bitter towards him with how he gets destroyed in cm and still gets selected over more viable alternatives (I know it's not his fault for being picked but still), I feel he is being overrated by the management and they place too much stock in all his experience despite his decline in performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement