Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Quandary wrote: »
    I think Gerrard is too up and down. When he's not on his game he is barely noticeable on the pitch. Also,for a captain, he plays too much of an individual game if that makes sense.

As for Giggs, he is probably my all time favourite Utd player. He has completely changed his game from being a very dangerous jinky winger to play a cm role to a semi decent level. His commitment(to Utd ;) ) is unquestionable and I don't think anyone will earn more caps for Utd than him in my lifetime. All that being said though, he has had some very poor stints in his career where he was off the boil for long long periods at a time and similar to Gerrard, when he is on an off night he offers little or nothing. Recent years have made me a bit more bitter towards him with how he gets destroyed in cm and still gets selected over more viable alternatives (I know it's not his fault for being picked but still), I feel he is being overrated by the management and they place too much stock in all his experience despite his decline in performance.
    Well recent years are different and I don't think either is held in the same esteem based on their current form.

I disagree that Gerrard was too up and down throughout his prime(which lasted a long time), you don't get MoM awards if you are like that. The man was a powerhouse for many years for Liverpool fc.

Giggs had a spell where he was not at this best but overall throughout his career he has been exceptional. When he played on the wing he struck fear into the hearts of defenders and whats more when United didn't have possession he was back helping out his full back and he played to a very high standard in a defensive capacity as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The thing about ibra is that he just goes missing for too many games,you cant deny when he turns up he is unplayable but it just doesnt happen as often as maybe it should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

On most days, Nicklas Bendtner is unplayable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

On most days, Nicklas Bendtner is unplayable.

As in you take no notice of him as he can't play by way of being shite?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

a lot of the croat/yugoslavian players of the 90s were underrated. The likes of prosinecki,stojkovic, jarni, boban, suker were really top class players. They finished 3rd in the 98 world cup and a lot of them played with the biggest teams in europe. There was a draft on here over the summer and from what I recall none of these players got selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

If we are talking all time then Paul McGrath was under rated.

Currently over rated, most premiership footballers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Liam O wrote: »
    Ashley Young has been mentioned so many times in this thread. Who actually rates him?
    Ill get my coat :(
    Personally think hes more suited to 433 than 442 United play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

When I think of overrated players the two that usually spring to mind for me are Beckham and Gerrard. Good players but not great players, Bill.

Edit: Forgot to add in Zlatan Ibrahimovic. I know he's scored a bag of goals in France and Italy, but any time I've seen him play in a big game (CL or international) he's been anonymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

a lot of the croat/yugoslavian players of the 90s were underrated. The likes of prosinecki,stojkovic, jarni, boban, suker were really top class players. They finished 3rd in the 98 world cup and a lot of them played with the biggest teams in europe. There was a draft on here over the summer and from what I recall none of these players got selected.

A lot of people think if they, as in Yugoslavia had went to EURO 92 they`d of won it. The team that replaced them won it & with the greatest of respect they weren`t half the team the yugoslavians were on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Overrated .... Bale, Benzema, Cleverly, Walcott, Rooney, Hart, Neymar

Underrated...... Song, Carrick, Mata, Lukaku, Dawson, Oscar, Hazard, Essien

The best ...... Ronaldo, Messi, Yaya Toure, Inesta, Xavi,

Best ever......Zidane, Henry, Shearer,

All IMO of course.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

is Kevin Doyle the most overrated player Irish player ever?

jebus84 wrote: »
    You mean despite the fact that he has about 12 MoM awards?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Overrated .... Bale, Benzema, Cleverly, Walcott, Rooney, Hart, Neymar

Underrated...... Song, Carrick, Mata, Lukaku, Dawson, Oscar, Hazard, Essien

The best ...... Ronaldo, Messi, Yaya Toure, Inesta, Xavi,

Best ever......Zidane, Henry, Shearer,

All IMO of course.:)

Pele as first sub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Not sure who is overrating Cleverley, most United fans don't want him in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not sure who is overrating Cleverley, most United fans don't want him in the team.

I can only think of one person who would overrate Clev, I assume its just people projecting what they think rather then what is actually happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

jebus84 wrote: »
    I think that award is reserved jointly for Wes Hoolahan and Andy Reid
    I've heard him referred to a lot as the English Joe Allen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hannibal wrote: »
    I think that award is reserved jointly for Wes Hoolahan and Andy Reid

unfortunatly since 1994 , irish football is over-saturated with over-rated players, from Phil Babb to John O'Shea (and so many in between) - maybe it is a problem , like the English we overate our players , and not view them for what they are . I think Frank Lampard is over-rated for example in an English context, great in bread & butter matches , but true greats come alive on the big occasions , the mcgraths, roy keane, zidane, messi, pirlo, maradonna's - the real greats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

thebaz wrote: »
    unfortunatly since 1994 , irish football is over-saturated with over-rated players, from Phil Babb to John O'Shea (and so many in between) - maybe it is a problem , like the English we overate our players , and not view them for what they are . I think Frank Lampard is over-rated for example in an English context, great in bread & butter matches , but true greats come alive on the big occasions , the mcgraths, roy keane, zidane, messi, pirlo, maradonna's - the real greats

This is quite enjoyable to my sense of humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

764dak wrote: »
    This is quite enjoyable to my sense of humour.

what , you think messi is not great ?
    that i find humourous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

eagle eye wrote: »
    You mean despite the fact that he has about 12 MoM awards?

And you've just proven how..

He's won almost every single one of those awards for "putting in a great shift upfront" in horrible Irish games when George and Ronnie probably nodded off in the commentary box, awakening to pick the lad that looks like he's trying the hardest.

Jebus is right. He's the player most overrated by Irish fans and even more so by pundits. Has very little skill and end-product for a player rated so highly by many and has done little to justify the silly money Wolves paid for him. The fact that he's currently plying his trade in the 3rd tier of English football with a return of 2 goals so far this season highlights his true level of ability. He's not even Wolves main man but sure as Bill says okey dokey there'll be plenty of Irish fans and pundits exaggerating his worth during this international break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

cson wrote: »
    As in you take no notice of him he can't play by way of being shite?

As in he doesn't actually get to play because he's so sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Underrated: Modric, Dzeko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Never done nothing in the champions league or for France at a big tournament.

Sorry for digging up and old post but I had to laugh at this. "Never done nothing" = double negative. Therefore, you're saying that Cantona always did something.

Classic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ashley Young has been mentioned so many times in this thread. Who actually rates him?

David Moyes seemingly.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Name them.

Paranoid much?

I wouldn't dare let Gav release the hippo on me again sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

David Moyes seemingly.

Yeah? Played him every game has he?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Paranoid much?

I wouldn't dare let Gav release the hippo on me again sorry

Nah, curious is all. As in the past I've called people on such quite frankly ****house, stirring comments in the past without as much of an answer. Good to see my initial reaction to said post prove to be correct and that trend continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah? Played him every game has he?

1 game is too many when it comes to Ashley Young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

1 game is too many when it comes to Ashley Young.

Got to beat Fergie with that stick too so, more so in fact since he actually signed him in the first place

Or Young could be a good squad option, does a job and nothing more, nothing less.

Cant think of anyone who rates Young very highly tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

There always seems to be a big fanfare around Hulk. Sold to Zenit for ridiculous money, always gets a great ovation from the Brazilian fans.

I understand the fact that he's monstrous physically and scores the odd spectacular goal, but I've never been impressed by his ability or his general play. Particularly at international level, he has been pretty poor for all the hype that surrounds him.

Maybe he'll be more impressive at the World Cup next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hardly obscure if you don't live in the super duper, mighty EPL bubble like the majority of the forum do.

genuinely, how much football do you watch? i'm honestly curious.

people in this country aren't necessarily in an EPL bubble. it's what many have grown up consuming, and it's just what we know. and many people do not have the time or the inclination to become massively au-fait with the amount of leagues you seem to be.

to know the amount of players you seem to, from the amount of different leagues you often seem to, is quite an impressive feat. if you genuinely know the strengths and weaknesses of all these players from watching them, like you seem to, i honestly don't know how you fit it all in. that's why people are curious.

so again, genuinely, how much football do you watch on...say...a weekly basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have always held the opinion that Cantona was vastly overrated. Often talked about as one of the top strikers of the premier league era when he is not even utds top striker of that era.

RVP
    RVN
    Rooney

are all on another level to Cantona, id Cole ahead of him too.

I actually think Cole was a bit underrated tbh

Cole got a lot of stick because he did miss a ot of easy chances but in fairness he got himself in to great positions so his return was still very good. I do think he was under rated.

Ray Parlour was another player that was totally under rated, great pro just not likeable for whatever reason. Was part of a few great Arsenal teams.

I actually thought Sol Campbell was overrated actually, think he was just part of a great team/squad.

I agree on Cantona was really overrated compared to the other greats United have had. Some even say he was their best player ever, maybe because he began an era I don't know but ability wise he simply wasn't world class. If he was the French side would have played him anyway regardless of the baggage. They've done it for other players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

SlickRic wrote: »

people in this country aren't necessarily in an EPL bubble. it's what many have grown up consuming, and it's just what we know. and many people do not have the time or the inclination to become massively au-fait with the amount of leagues you seem to be.

to know the amount of players you seem to, from the amount of different leagues you often seem to, is quite an impressive feat. if you genuinely know the strengths and weaknesses of all these players from watching them, like you seem to, i honestly don't know how you fit it all in. that's why people are curious.

To be fair to him the only players I ever see him mention are mainly Bundesliga and Eridivisie players and I see no problem with that. He supports Dortmund.

It seems to a lot of people on here that if you mention a player who doesn't play in the epl, la liga or with a big foreign team, then you must only know him through Fm or FIFA. Personally, I like to follow certain players I like who a lot of people probably never heard of, whether that's through YouTube or live streams.

I usually take no notice but it is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I have always held the opinion that Cantona was vastly overrated. Often talked about as one of the top strikers of the premier league era when he is not even utds top striker of that era.

RVP
    RVN
    Rooney

are all on another level to Cantona, id Cole ahead of him too.

I actually think Cole was a bit underrated tbh
    5 seasons at United, 4 titles. The only one they didn't win was the one that he was suspended for. What happened the year after he left? Didn't win again. Nearly a 1 in 2 record. But yeah, overrated.

SlickRic wrote: »

Varies, but between two (Liverpool and Dortmund) to half a dozen games. Recent new full time job and the NBA season starting up shortly means I'll be watching less football. However, watching Liverpool and Dortmund I'll always try and make time for. I'd say the average is three or four games a week at present.

Goes without saying that there are games when streaming, whether it for be interest or betting purposes (I prefer to watch who I bet on if possible), I'll be watching more intently than others of course. The joys of social media and those that I trust when it comes to football helps to keep on top of things incase I can't see something too.

Never played a single second of Football Manager so it's never been a reference point for me, despite a friend and a big cheese here trying to convince me that it was all that when we were younger ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Never played a single second of Football Manager so it's never been a reference point for me, despite a friend and a big cheese here trying to convince me that it was all that when we were younger ;)

Like you, I'm still a Championship Manager man too. No skool like the old skool eh?

hefferboi wrote: »
    To be fair to him the only players I ever see him mention are mainly Bundesliga and Eridivisie players and I see no problem with that. He supports Dortmund.

It seems to a lot of people on here that if you mention a player who doesn't play in the epl, la liga or with a big foreign team, then you must only know him through Fm or FIFA. Personally, I like to follow certain players I like who a lot of people probably never heard of, whether that's through YouTube or live streams.

I usually take no notice but it is annoying.

I used to find it funny once upon a time ago, but it's grinding at this stage to see people here, some people who's opinions are worth scribbling on some toilet paper more often than not whipping out the old FM line because they refuse people watch football outside of the EPL.. and I'll include Real and Barca too actually in this too.

I'm sure FM is useful for some. Personally speaking, I don't get it's appeal. My two hours on LMA 2004 on my PS2 back then was beyond boring. Can't believe I spent money renting that back in the day! :pac:

Like you, I'm still a Championship Manager man too. No skool like the old skool eh?

I've never played CM.

• Advertisement

I used to find it funny once upon a time ago, but it's grinding at this stage to see people here, some people who's opinions are worth scribbling on some toilet paper more often than not whipping out the old FM line because they refuse people watch football outside of the EPL.. and I'll include Real and Barca too actually in this too.

You love the drama don't you! Why o why do you feel that your opinion is far greater then others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ferguson, Moyes and Hodgson are three anyway. Just because fans on this forum don't like him doesn't mean he isn't over-rated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I've never played CM.

That's a shame. I think you'd love it. Lots of obscure unknown footballers from all parts of the world and your job is to figure out which ones are under-rated.

You love the drama don't you! Why o why do you feel that your opinion is far greater then others?

You are the one suggesting that. Not me. I have time for a good few posters here who watch less than me. Their input on their team notably, as well as other aspects in regards to football I very much appreciate.

As for loving the drama. Beyond laughanle. You're the one who went out of your way to post a dig in the first place let's not forget this. Dress it up how you like as I'm sure you will. I shouldn't have responded to such a small time comment however.

Juan Carlos Valeron is a player who I think was underrated his whole career

eagle eye wrote: »
    Juan Carlos Valeron is a player who I think was underrated his whole career

A few players from the Depor side of the early noughties were very much underrated. Diego Tristan was underrated as well. Valeron was special though, quality player.

edit - Had this bookmarked. Great read from Mike Cox on Valeron - http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/1038?cc=5739

• Advertisement

Djalminha was another they had a great side over about 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ferguson, Moyes and Hodgson are three anyway. Just because fans on this forum don't like him doesn't mean he isn't over-rated.

Just because he is rated by 3 managers doesn't make him overrated. That makes him important member of the team/squad.

A few players from the Depor side of the early noughties were very much underrated. Diego Tristan was underrated as well. Valeron was special though, quality player.

edit - Had this bookmarked. Great read from Mike Cox on Valeron - http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/1038?cc=5739
    Thanks for that Nuri. He is still playing, back with his boyhood club Las Palmas, and has played four times this year and they've won three of them. Thats their only three wins this season, still an incredible influence even at 38.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love Mike Cox

bwhahahaha.....ahem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You are the one suggesting that. Not me. .
    In fairness, I've lost count of the amount of times you've started a post by saying you watch more football than the person you're responding to. 4-6 games a week isn't a lot in fairness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement