Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If they don't play for the first team how can they be worse player for first team?

More to the point, that's just to show how they don't rate him at all.

Except they never mention whether it's first team or the whole squad. Also, many players on worst player lists play more games than many bench players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Theo Walcott is very underrated for me. Hes a good finisher, has good movement off the ball and gets a lot of assists. Hes crucial to the Arsenal team as he keeps the opposition defence honest with his pace and runs in behind, not allowing them to press the midfield as much were he not on the pitch. Seemingly will never get the credit he deserves because of the reputation he had as a 20 year old for having 'no end product' and not having a 'footballing brain'.

21 goals and 14 assists in 41 games last year, mostly from the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

AdamD wrote: »
    Theo Walcott is very underrated for me. Hes a good finisher, has good movement off the ball and gets a lot of assists. Hes crucial to the Arsenal team as he keeps the opposition defence honest with his pace and runs in behind, not allowing them to press the midfield as much were he not on the pitch. Seemingly will never get the credit he deserves because of the reputation he had as a 20 year old for having 'no end product' and not having a 'footballing brain'.

Yep, he's one of those players who will always be judged on what he 'could do' be rather than appreciated for what he does.

He misses more chances that most players but only because he's lightening pace gets him into positions for chances more than most players. He's improved a lot in terms of composure and finishing anyway but is destined to fall into the "he should make better use of his pace" category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Walcotts the ultimate moneyball player imo; if you look at his stats he's a consistent top performer but if you watch him over the course of a season you'll see he's a very streaky kind of player who struggles when teams drop deep against him.

That being said; I do think Walcott is probably underrated. Still only 24 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GTR63 wrote: »
    This popped up in my twitter feed today, don`t agree with a some of it but said i`d post it anyway.

BWNhq0ACIAEo3fH.png

What a horrifically useless list.

You do realise that 8% of 50 people is 4 people. And 2% is one person.

So 4 people said Ballotelli was overrated, and the list includes ten footballers where ONE person said they thought them to be overrated.

Absolutely, utterly, pointless as a barometer of anything whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Under rated - lampard, Phil jones

Over rated - bale, nani, robinho, gattuso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Under rated - lampard, Phil jones

Over rated - bale, nani, robinho, gattuso

Does anyone really under rate Lampard though?I don't think so, he has had an illustrious career and was for a long time one of Chelsea's best players, he is on the wane now a bit but over his career certainly not under rated.

Phil Jones if anything I would say he is over rated, I do rate him and do think he can be a fantastic player for United a player I would like at Arsenal but he is yet to nail himself down to a position and make it his own yet,could partly be the manager fault not knowing we he is best played.

A terrific prospect with bags of potential imo who many have high hopes for but as of yet is not indispensible in any position at United so hard to under rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Over rated gattuso

Just, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Does anyone really under rate Lampard though?I don't think so, he has had an illustrious career and was for a long time one of Chelsea's best players, he is on the wane now a bit but over his career certainly not under rated.

Phil Jones if anything I would say he is over rated, I do rate him and do think he can be a fantastic player for United a player I would like at Arsenal but he is yet to nail himself down to a position and make it his own yet,could partly be the manager fault not knowing we he is best played.

A terrific prospect with bags of potential imo who many have high hopes for but as of yet is not indispensible in any position at United so hard to under rate.

I think they do. He went through a stage in his career from about 2004-2010 where he was getting lauded week in week out by the media. In Football Fan logic they tried to rebel against the media by claiming him over-rated and also giving him the tag of "Fat Frank", which I found bizarre.

He has never been over-rated by me but in the football fan world he became so "Over-rated" by the media (of which I disagree) that he became under-rated by the stereotypical football fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Seaneh wrote: »
    Just, no.
    I cried when I read Gattuso was overrated.
    How Can I Reach These Kids!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

AdamD wrote: »

Very fair comment.

I'd completely disagree with my own opinion now if I was asked in comparison to when I made the OP a few years ago. Walcott is now one of my favourite players to watch at the present time and I've spent more time than I should defending his contribution to friends etc over the last year.

Just goes to show how long 2 and a half years is in football!

Over Rated:
    Patrick Kluivert

After starting his career looking like he'd be one of the best of his generation he moved to Milan where he was crap, had 6 decent seasons at a pretty bad Barcelona side (only 1 la liga in 6 seasons), moved to Newcastle where he was crap and after that his career was pretty much over, at the age of what, 30?

Was lucky to be around in a time-frame when The Netherlands struggled in the centre forward department compared to now but I guess 40 goals in 79 for them is impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Gattuso built a career out of kicking people.

He didn't even win the physical battles then start playing a la Keane and Davids. He just kicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Over Rated:
    Patrick Kluivert

After starting his career looking like he'd be one of the best of his generation he moved to Milan where he was crap, had 6 decent seasons at a pretty bad Barcelona side (only 1 la liga in 6 seasons), moved to Newcastle where he was crap and after that his career was pretty much over, at the age of what, 30?

Was lucky to be around in a time-frame when The Netherlands struggled in the centre forward department compared to now but I guess 40 goals in 79 for them is impressive.

I think his career went flat after that car crash tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nakata for under rated, I can't think of another Asian player that even comes close to how good he was.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Nakata for under rated, I can't think of another Asian player that even comes close to how good he was.

Hidetoshi Nakata for a while at Parma was immense.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Great shout on Nakata.

At the other end, Kenisuke Honda is overrated for me. Lives off his display at World Cup 2010, but for club he has been largely anonymous and has been slated quite regularly. I also feel his performances since then for country has been somewhat underwhelming overall too. Besides no club snapping up since the World Cup three years ago, which I do feel is somewhat telling, I find the whole move to Milan saga a bit odd. Wasn't he available for €3M? In saying that, if he does go on to move to Milan in January or in the summer (somewhat assuming at the very least there is a pre-contract in place) I really hope he reaches his potential there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Ji Sung Park, for one.

Ji Sung Park, for one.
    Not sure if your being serious, I really hope not!!

astonaidan wrote: »
    Not sure if your being serious, I really hope not!!

If you are being serious, then add Ji Sung Park to the seriously underrated list.

• Advertisement

If you are being serious, then add Ji Sung Park to the seriously underrated list.
    Im being deadly serious, Park was nowhere near Nakata!
    and this isnt me dissing Park in any way, Park was a player who did a job. Good but not great.
    I have had this conversation so many times with United fans (Not saying your one) just because Fergie brought him in for big games doesnt mean he was a brilliant player, it meant he knew how to play a tactical role suited for the occasion. He is a very clever player, hence an important squad player as he can play alot of roles to a good level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd have Mehdi Mahdavikia and Park Ji-Sung ahead of him on an Asian players list. I'm only mentioning players who have been around a long time, there are some really good ones about now but they haven't had long careers yet.

Ji Sung Park, for one.

Park is a good player, still a good player, but he was never great, probably the best South Korea has produced so far but Nakata is the best player Asia has ever produced.

Park was a player who did a job. Good but not great.

Keep talking, you are just proving my point for me.

Park is seriously underrated. People can't seem to see past the workrate to the fact that he was actually a very, very good footballer.

Park's goal against Portugal in 2002 was class. I remember seeing him for PSV against Milan in 2005 UCL semi finals. He made Nesta and Maldini look like Tasmanian Devils (cartoon variety).

Nakata is better though. Cha Bum-Kun is up there as well.

Keep talking, you are just proving my point for me.

Park is seriously underrated. People can't seem to see past the workrate to the fact that he was actually a very, very good footballer.
    I actually made a point of not mentioning his workrate as Id agree he gets judged because of it.
    I think hes a good player, but come on hes not a great player, he does everything well. Once again, he is a player whos intelligence allows him to play a lot of positions and he is a techinally sound player.

Why did not quote my whole argument, I feel I gave a good explanation as to why hes not great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The real shame about Nakata was that he retired at 29! He had many more years in the tank if he want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Dempsey wrote: »
    I think his career went flat after that car crash tbh
    It was always going to be downhill after scoring a winner in a champions League final as a teenager. Remember seeing him at Milan then & thinking he wasn`t anything to be excited about(that happened a few of that Ajax team too).
    Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    At the other end, Keisuke Honda is overrated for me. Wasn't he available for €3M? In saying that, if he does go on to move to Milan in January or in the summer (somewhat assuming at the very least there is a pre-contract in place) I really hope he reaches his potential there.

Not to Milan, he agreed the contract but they wanted €7/8m & Milan said he`s available for nothing in January & we do LOVE a bosman. Want him to join just so I can do the Okada rainmaker pose & not have to look at Birsa again. But i`d be worried another team would offer him a better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hidetoshi Nakata for a while at Parma was immense.

He had this unusual, incredible balance on the ball. Only other player I can think of who had that was Zidane. Nakata was a superb player though, I'd agree with him being the best Asian player ever. Noone since has been as good as him IMO.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    He had this unusual, incredible balance on the ball. Only other player I can think of who had that was Zidane. Nakata was a superb player though, I'd agree with him being the best Asian player ever. Noone since has been as good as him IMO.

I agree.

Even when he was being kicked around the place he just rode the tackles and carried on, as if they didn't bother him.

His close control was insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Underrated: Dirk Kuyt.

Big game player for us who always popped up with big goals. Played on the wing and adapted to it as best he could but was always a striker in my eyes. His work rate was immense too. He still gets called useless by some high stool Liverpool 'Supporters'. Will always be vastly underrated in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

hefferboi wrote: »

Big game player for us who always popped up with big goals. Played on the wing and adapted to it as best he could but was always a striker in my eyes. His work rate was immense too. He still gets called useless by some high stool Liverpool 'Supporters'. Will always be vastly underrated in my eyes.

He overcame his technical deficiencies with immense work-rate and commitment

greendom wrote: »
    He overcame his technical deficiencies with immense work-rate and commitment

Also came up with goals in important games. Big game player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

hefferboi wrote: »

I mentioned him when thread started. Very underrrated.

For a blast from the past David May was underrated. Scored og on his debut against Rangers and seemed on back foot after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I always thought of Kevin Nolan as underrated, always done it wherever he's gone, scores regularly from midfield, physically handy, and being an 'East Dub' with a name like that is surely eligible for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Underrated: Lee Cattermole

I'll get a bit of stick for this one and I have been critical of the player in the past myself, but many people think he's just a thug and can't play football and that couldn't be further from the truth.

He's still only 25 years of age, has spent his entire career from the age of 17 in the top flight, and has captained three different Premier League teams.

Anyone who watched the latest Sunderland games against Liverpool and Manchester United will have seen what he can bring to the table, and his performance in the 1-0 win against Manchester City in 2012 was one of the best I have seen from an individual player.

Sunderland are certainly a better side with him in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Also came up with goals in important games. Big game player.

Mentally tough but he'd never win any awards for technical ability. That's why I wouldn't regard him as under-rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Paully D wrote: »
    Underrated: Lee Cattermole

I'll get a bit of stick for this one and I have been critical of the player in the past myself, but many people think he's just a thug and can't play football and that couldn't be further from the truth.

He's still only 25 years of age, has spent his entire career from the age of 17 in the top flight, and has captained three different Premier League teams.

Anyone who watched the latest Sunderland games against Liverpool and Manchester United will have seen what he can bring to the table, and his performance in the 1-0 win against Manchester City in 2012 was one of the best I have seen from an individual player.

Sunderland are certainly a better side with him in it.

Never said he's a bad player, just a thug and a liability. The lad obviously has something about him, but I would never trust him 100% to keep his head, as he's failed to do that time and time again.

I actually made a point of not mentioning his workrate as Id agree he gets judged because of it.
    I think hes a good player, but come on hes not a great player, he does everything well. Once again, he is a player whos intelligence allows him to play a lot of positions and he is a techinally sound player.

Why did not quote my whole argument, I feel I gave a good explanation as to why hes not great

Judging by these forums, aren't these all you need?

764dak wrote: »
    Judging by these forums, aren't these all you need?
    To be a good premier league player yes, to be world class you surely need a little more

• Advertisement

Totally overrated footballer - Paul McGrath

A good player yes, but many people in this part of the world seem to consider him some sort of footballing master, on a par with the Maldini's and Baresi's of this world. Well, he wasn't.

The thing about McGrath is that he had an excellent World cup 94, in particular against Italy in a group game. That was a good performance alright, but you know what, history is full of players who had good world cup or European cup performances but never did anything else in their careers. Its almost a bad joke at this stage, the Poborskies and the Dioufs looking great on the world stage then doing nothing for their clubs. We no longer wet ourselves over how good a player is because of one good World Cup game, yet McGrath still gets called a legend based on exactly that.

His club career? Meh. His old managers will still praise him, but his club career came to a whole pile of nothing. Forget Fergie bombing him out of United, because some will say that was due to lifestyle not ability, answer this instead. Ask any United fan to name the best defenders ever to play for the club, they will say Irwin, Ferdinand, Vidic, Bruce, Pallister. They never say McGrath. This guy is supposed to be a legend, why will no United fan ever name him in their best 11?

He was a good player, no doubt. But the fawning over he gets in Ireland makes him completely over rated.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Never said he's a bad player, just a thug and a liability. The lad obviously has something about him, but I would never trust him 100% to keep his head, as he's failed to do that time and time again.
    Paolo Maldini wasn't exactly blessed with technical ability but he is one of the greatest of all time. Alan Shearer is a striker who didn't do fancy things, he just put the ball in the net. Technical ability doesn't mean anything, you have players who were gifted but didn't have a brain to go with that talent.

A good player yes, but many people in this part of the world seem to consider him some sort of footballing master, on a par with the Maldini's and Baresi's of this world. Well, he wasn't.

The thing about McGrath is that he had an excellent World cup 94, in particular against Italy in a group game. That was a good performance alright, but you know what, history is full of players who had good world cup or European cup performances but never did anything else in their careers. Its almost a bad joke at this stage, the Poborskies and the Dioufs looking great on the world stage then doing nothing for their clubs. We no longer wet ourselves over how good a player is because of one good World Cup game, yet McGrath still gets called a legend based on exactly that.

His club career? Meh. His old managers will still praise him, but his club career came to a whole pile of nothing. Forget Fergie bombing him out of United, because some will say that was due to lifestyle not ability, answer this instead. Ask any United fan to name the best defenders ever to play for the club, they will say Irwin, Ferdinand, Vidic, Bruce, Pallister. They never say McGrath. This guy is supposed to be a legend, why will no United fan ever name him in their best 11?

He was a good player, no doubt. But the fawning over he gets in Ireland makes him completely over rated.
    He was also the PFA player of the year in 1993, thats the year before that world cup you talk about. Also he was fantastic for the RoI in World Cup 1990 when he was playing in midfield.
    So now you got a player who was rated by his fellow players as the best in the league in 1993, a player who Baresi rates as one of the best to play the game in his position and a player who was able to move out of his regular position and play to a very high level in another.

He wasn't part of any United team who won a league title, he was moved on by Ferguson due to his bad knees and his drinking. All the players you mention above all won league titles. You see when things move on the medals are what people look back at because it would be too much work to go and look at all the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Always thought Pedro was underrated .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Always thought Pedro was underrated .

Criminally underrated. His goals to supplement those of Messi were vital, it's telling that when he stopped scoring Barcelona lost something. His work rate is exemplary, he offers real balance, balance and pace to whatever side he is playing for. He was also key to Spain's run in the European Championships of 2012 as they were short width, pace and incision at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Kieran Gibbs is definitely under-rated.

Baines is a slight bit over-rated in my opinion because of his attacking abilities. Never gets hammered by the media if he makes a defensive mistake. A great player but I've seen him caught out a few times with not one mention of it.

Carrick was completely under-rated for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He was a better player than any other you have mentioned in this post, and i'm a fan of every one of those players you mentioned.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Paolo Maldini wasn't exactly blessed with technical ability but he is one of the greatest of all time.

Er, what?
    He was one was extremely comfortable with the ball at feet and his passing and crossing were ridiculously good. Until he switched to centre back, one of his main attributes was the ability to get up and down the line and get the ball into the box.

And he could use both feet, which always helps.

He was a better player than any other you have mentioned in this post, and i'm a fan of every one of those players you mentioned.

You really think McGrath was better than Maldini and Baresi?

Thanks then for immediately proving my point that McGrath was overrated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement