Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Adam Lallana very underrated player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You really think McGrath was better than Maldini and Baresi?

Thanks then for immediately proving my point that McGrath was overrated.
    He is not talking about Maldini and Baresi and you didn't mention them as players rather used them as masters to which he was compared. You know full well that is not what he meant. He was talking about the players at the end of your post.

McGrath was PFA footballer of the year, one of the few defenders to win that award, John Terry is the only one to win it since. That blows your argument that he only performed at one World Cup, of course then there is the other world cup where he was magnificent while playing out of position.

Ian Rush said that McGrath and Baresi were the two best defenders he ever played against. Baresi said many years ago that McGrath was the greatest defender he had come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

You really think McGrath was better than Maldini and Baresi?

Thanks then for immediately proving my point that McGrath was overrated.

All the United players you mentioned. He was better than any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Totally overrated footballer - Paul McGrath

A good player yes, but many people in this part of the world seem to consider him some sort of footballing master, on a par with the Maldini's and Baresi's of this world. Well, he wasn't.

The thing about McGrath is that he had an excellent World cup 94, in particular against Italy in a group game. That was a good performance alright, but you know what, history is full of players who had good world cup or European cup performances but never did anything else in their careers. Its almost a bad joke at this stage, the Poborskies and the Dioufs looking great on the world stage then doing nothing for their clubs. We no longer wet ourselves over how good a player is because of one good World Cup game, yet McGrath still gets called a legend based on exactly that.

His club career? Meh. His old managers will still praise him, but his club career came to a whole pile of nothing. Forget Fergie bombing him out of United, because some will say that was due to lifestyle not ability, answer this instead. Ask any United fan to name the best defenders ever to play for the club, they will say Irwin, Ferdinand, Vidic, Bruce, Pallister. They never say McGrath. This guy is supposed to be a legend, why will no United fan ever name him in their best 11?

He was a good player, no doubt. But the fawning over he gets in Ireland makes him completely over rated.

Of course he's not a United legend, nobody ever said he was. Villa and Ireland was where he showed his class.
    When you take into consideration his personal and physical issues it's hard to believe he managed to be so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Saying McGrath was overrated is ridiculous, an absolute world class defender.

You should go to bed early tonight for even slightly comparing Paul McGrath to El Hadji Diouf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Corholio wrote: »
    Saying McGrath was overrated is ridiculous, an absolute world class defender.

You should go to bed early tonight for even slightly comparing Paul McGrath to El Hadji Diouf.

There is the same difference between Diouf as there is between McGrath and Maldini or Baresi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I remember reading an interview with Nakata saying how he didn't like watching football but also how he said 'he wasn't the most gifted footballers, just a hard worker(this is from his Bolton days) but my impression of him always was as being like the Pavel Nedved of Asia when he was with Parma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Quazzie wrote: »
    There is the same difference between Diouf as there is between McGrath and Maldini or Baresi

There's not a whole lot of other defenders in between that 'difference'.

McGrath is one of the best central defenders I've watched in my lifetime, I don't know if it's been the time passed since his prime, the fact he was Irish 'so he wasn't as good as we thought he was' or his problems that has clouded some peoples judgement of him, but I'd completely disagree if people said he wasn't a world class defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Saying McGrath is overrated is typical Irish fan bullshiit of putting our own down the same type of fans who have been calling for Robbie Keane to be dropped from the Irish squad for years.

McGrath was a beast of a player but yea lets discount his PFA award his performances in World Cup 94 which led Roberto Baggio to say he was the best defender he ever played against, sure what would he know about football or the fact in the same World Cup he was in the Dream Team of said World Cup.

The fact he is a legend as a Villa player.

It quite scary to think how good he could have been had he not had his drink problem or injuries. Given the fact there was games were he won man of the match while playing pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Saying McGrath is overrated is typical Irish fan bullshiit of putting our own down the same type of fans who have been calling for Robbie Keane to be dropped from the Irish squad for years.

McGrath was a beast of a player but yea lets discount his PFA award his performances in World Cup 94 which led Roberto Baggio to say he was the best defender he ever played against, sure what would he know about football or the fact in the same World Cup he was in the Dream Team of said World Cup.

The fact he is a legend as a Villa player.

It quite scary to think how good he could have been had he not had his drink problem or injuries. Given the fact there was games were he won man of the match while playing pissed.

I'm not sure why playing drunk should actually count in your favour as a player, it's incredibly narcissistic and shows a total disregard for his teammates, manager and club as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'm not sure why playing drunk should actually count in your favour as a player, it's incredibly narcissistic and shows a total disregard for his teammates, manager and club as a whole.

:rolleyes:

Let's hope you or a member of your family never become an alcoholic with your attitude towards someone who had a disease/addictive illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sure Pique must be drunk the whole time then given his constant brain-farts and poor position :D

McGrath doesn't deserve to be in this thread. Simple

Johner wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Let's hope you or a member of your family never become an alcoholic with your attitude towards someone who had a disease/addictive illness.

I'm not criticizing him because he had a disease, I am simply saying that complimenting on the basis of playing drunk is a bit ridiculous.

Sure Pique must be drunk the whole time then given his constant brain-farts and poor position :D

McGrath doesn't deserve to be in this thread. Simple

I am entirely unaware of what Gerard Pique has to do with Paul McGrath or alcoholism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm not criticizing him because he had a disease, I am simply saying that complimenting on the basis of playing drunk is a bit ridiculous.

You sure? Because it really sounds like you're criticising his alcoholism. Total disregard for his teammates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I don't think anyone is complimenting him on the basis of his drink problem. You're misinterpreting the post at best. Stirring at worst.

You sure? Because it really sounds like you're criticising his alcoholism. Total disregard for his teammates?

Well I am not, I would question a coach who knowingly plays a player drunk or a player who is drunk and, if able, could warn his teammates but doesn't. My biggest gripe though in relation to this thread is that complimenting a player for playing drunk is ridiculous and wrong.

I don't think anyone is complimenting him on the basis of his drink problem. You're misinterpreting the post at best. Stirring at worst.

"It quite scary to think how good he could have been had he not had his drink problem or injuries. Given the fact there was games were he won man of the match while playing pissed."

That's the part in question, I'm not entirely sure how else it could be interpreted other than the poster using an example of McGrath playing drunk to illustrate how good he was and thus back up his argument.

This

I never once complimented him for playing drunk can you please show me how I did? I said it's quite scary to think to how good he could have been considering even with alcoholism he managed to win MOTM awards while drunk. That is not condoning or encouraging that behaviour it is stating fact. Maybe you should read his autobiography.

"It quite scary to think how good he could have been had he not had his drink problem or injuries. Given the fact there was games were he won man of the match while playing pissed."

That's the part in question, I'm not entirely sure how else it could be interpreted other than the poster using an example of McGrath playing drunk to illustrate how good he was and thus back up his argument.

Christ you really do love to talk shiite don't ya :rolleyes:.

I didn't use it to back up my argument it was just a statement on McGrath and me stating my opinion had he not had his issues it is scary to think what level he could have reached. That is not a compliment.

• Advertisement

This

I never once complimented him for playing drunk can you please show me how I did? I said it's quite scary to think to how good he could have been considering even with alcoholism he managed to win MOTM awards while drunk. That is not condoning or encouraging that behaviour it is stating fact. Maybe you should read his autobiography.

I'm going to assume you got your message the wrong way around.

Why state the fact? The only reason for stating that fact in an argument about the quality of Paul McGrath in an "overrated/underrated" thread no less could only be that you feel that such a "fact" is a laudable example of his quality, it isn't by the way, and thus warrants a mention. Otherwise why else would you include it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I don't think Paul McGrath is over-rated, nor should he be. He was a great player.

I do think however his personal demons ruined a career that could and perhaps should have been even better then it was.

The mans footballing ability is undeniable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Wayne Rooney this season has been overrated. A lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wayne Rooney this season has been overrated. A lot.

Not sure where you're going with this? He's been one of United's better players this season. He has 5 goals from 9 starts in fairness.

I'm going to assume you got your message the wrong way around.

Why state the fact? The only reason for stating that fact in an argument about the quality of Paul McGrath in an "overrated/underrated" thread no less could only be that you feel that such a "fact" is a laudable example of his quality, it isn't by the way, and thus warrants a mention. Otherwise why else would you include it?
    His point regarding him being drunk during games and winning MoM is quite clear. He is just making a point that if he didn't have an alcohol addiction that he probably would have been even better. Its incredible to think that a player who was as good as Paul McGrath was could actually have been a better player.

This comment has got nothing to do with how great he was.

cson wrote: »
    Not sure where you're going with this? He's been one of United's better players this season. He has 5 goals from 9 starts in fairness.
    Looks back to his very best imo and not only for his club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone remember this guy?

trifon_ivanov.jpg

He was BOSS in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭bigron2109

The Bulgarian Wolf could certainly strike a Ball.

Advertisement