Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

SlickRic wrote: »

Underrated EPL XI

Al-Habsi (Wig)
    Salgado (Bla)
    Dawson (Spu)
    Bramble (Sun)
    Neville (Eve)
    Etuhu (Ful)

Fellaini (Eve)
    Valencia (Utd)
    Lee (Bol)
    Etherington (Stoke)
    Doyle (Wolves)

go nuts!! :D

it's all relative obviously, especially with those that are overrated, with some there better than others, some overrated by fans, some by players, some by journalists...but i do believe they get, in general, far more credit then they perhaps merit.

Nice to see Bramble in there, I also think he's very underrated and won't ever get the plaudits he deserves because of mistakes earlier in his career.

A bargain for Sunderland at £1m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lucas underrated? He has like 3 or 4 decent games a season

Feeling sorry for him doesn't make him a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Overrated
    Ibrahimavic
    Ribery
    Adam
    Walcott
    Lennon

Underrated
    Lucas
    Obi Mikel
    Pedro
    Robben
    Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Maybe because they are?
    Higuain is a fantastic footballer, but he's not as good as Messi. Nor will he ever be.

Higuain's Games in his last 3 seasons: 105.
    Higains's Goals in his last 3 seasons: 63.

Messi's Games in his last 3 seasons: 149.
    Messi's Goals in his last 3 seasons: 132.

In keeping with the topic Higuaín got 27 goals out of 32 in La Liga last season while Messi got 34 in 35. I never said Higuaín was as good as Messi though we'll need to see how an uninjured Higuaín progresses but lets go down that road since you constructed it. Messi has gotten 16 goals in 55 games for Argentina (less than 1 in 3) while Higuaín has gotten 7 in 13 (more than 1 in 2) Plus Higuaín cost 13 million euro, thats more than Messi' treatment :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I mentioned Higuaín in most underrated, and I mentioned his being planets away from Messi as a comparison. I never said Higuaín was as good as Messi ATM, I was mentioning the comparison in relation to the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Overrated -
    Adam - Would do well at someone like Fulham but that's about it, that's his level. Can't see why liverpool would buy him.

Underrated -
    Bobby Zamora
    Chris Baird
    Brede Hangleand
    Aaron Hughes

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Underrated: Walcott.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Underrated: Walcott.

Really? IMO all he has is lightning pace. He has a poor end product, doesn't really take players on and isn't a great goal scorer. He gets an easy ride because he's English IMO, if anything he's overrated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

CorkMan wrote: »

Underrated:

Iker Casillas
    (Captained Spain to Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010, being to 1st keeper to captain a team to a Euro championship. Has been immense for Real Madrid for years and has 119 caps for Spain even though he isn't 30 yet. If he was playing for England he would be rated up there with Gordan Banks already)

He's constantly mentioned as the worlds best keeper, how is that you think he's underated.:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Van Persie very overrated for me. He is not in the class of the likes of Rooney, Tevez, Drogba etc.

Just is not clinical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

its hard to say who is the most overrated player but no doubt he's english, james milner would be my pick, just a very average player who has commanded large transfer fees, frank ribery is another player who i never understood what all the talk was about

eugeneious wrote: »
    Really? IMO all he has is lightning pace. He has a poor end product, doesn't really take players on and isn't a great goal scorer. He gets an easy ride because he's English IMO, if anything he's overrated...
    The above statement is exactly why he's underrated. He's got 11 goals and 8 odd assists this season in 20? starts on the wing, yet all you ever hear is people droning on about him being all pace and overrated. He doesn't get an easy ride in the media at all, unless you count being called brainless as easy. He got left at home during the WC and there was no outcry.

Loads of players talk about how they hate playing against Walcott but any thread like this and you'll find it full of comments saying he's ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

DB10 wrote: »
    Van Persie very overrated for me. He is not in the class of the likes of Rooney, Tevez, Drogba etc.

Just is not clinical.

Yeah 20 goals in his last 21 PL starts. Nowehere near Rooney's run of not scoring in open play for what, 9 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Over rated

Gareth Barry - Mancini's man love for him is killing me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Izzaguirre is quality. Watched a good few Celtic games this season and he's standout - brilliant in the 3-0 vs Rangers.

So yeah, if most people not knowing about him = underrated, then he is! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Underrated (with a Birmingham fan bias)
    Roger Johnson
    Stephen Carr
    Barry Ferguson
    Matthew Etherington
    Pablo Zabaleta

Overrated
    James Milner
    Gareth Barry

Barry Ferguson is a quality player, totally underrated in the EPL.

And I'm a Celtic fan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Over-rated:

Gareth Bale
    Johan Elmander
    Shay Given (Up to last year)
    Bendtner (by himself :p)
    Jordan Henderson
    Gareth Barry

Under-rated:
    Anderson
    Alex Song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭CSF

For me, Gareth Bale is probably the definition of overrated.

Stewart Downing for most underrated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

spiralism wrote: »
    Underrated:
    Marcelo: This lad has come on an absolute sight in the last year or so

Craig Gardner: Crucial part of the Birmingham midfield, and one that is more than capable of scoring crucial goals.

Matt Jarvis: Anybody else seen how good he can be for Wolves?

Emilio Izaguirre: Overlooked because he plays for Celtic. Actually a fine prospect at left back. Has attracted interest from Utd and Liverpool recently

Esteban Cambiasso: Been at the heartbeat of good Inter teams for years and was constantly overlooked.

Sergio Busquets: Is not Xavi or Iniesta. Yet, despite the occasional antics, is probably the best DM since Makelele

Oh, I'll throw in an underrated manager as well to boot:

Andre Villas Boas(Porto): Expect to be hearing a lot more about this fella in the coming years. Absolute genius and only 34. First name from the Mourinho coaching tree i believe

I agree with you about Marcello being brilliant. But i do think that Busquets and Cambiasso have often been praised, as has Jarvis this season.

And i've never heard anybody underrating Boas, he's still young, i don't believe that being a brilliant prospect makes you underrated? I think Gardner is a good pick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Under-rated

Jose Enrique - best left back in the EPL on his day.
    Serginho - best left back in Italy on his day when he was playing.
    O'Shea - Gets alot of stick but the last couple of seasons he's been one of the most reliable full backs around.
    Sorin - Very good, left winger/left back, not sure if he still plays tho.
    Banega - Very good player, controls the tempo of a game very well.
    Felipe - Fantastic little deep lying playmaker.
    Guti - Got alot of stick & maybe rightfully so at times, but his attitude always over-shadowed his wonderful footballing ability. Great technique & passing ability.
    Jesus Navas - Maybe not under-rated anymore but he should still be playing at one of the top clubs in Europe.
    Ricardinho - very accurate passing and great technique

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

If someone is being cited by several people as underrated does that not mean they are rated appropriately ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Are you attempting to antagonize supporters of fast, nimble, right footed, young English coloured players with this thread OP?

What like blue and green people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

tdv123 wrote: »
    Under-rated

Jesus Navas - Maybe not under-rated anymore but he should still be playing at one of the top clubs in Europe.

'He suffers from chronic homesickness,[13] to the extent he walked out of training camps within Spain because they were too far away from Seville. He also suffers from anxiety attacks[14] and seizures.[15] Navas initially refused to travel with Sevilla during pre-season to the United States due to his acute homesickness, later deciding that he would travel in a bid to rid himself of this condition.[4]' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesús_Navas#Personal_life

He'd be doing well if he could even manage to leave to another club in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Underrated... Dirk Kuyt.
    Tim Cahill.
    Obi Mikel.

Overrated... Lescott.
    Nani.
    Ibrahimavic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Over-rated:Hernandez...guy has banged in a couple of goals but is never going to be much more than an impact sub as was evident in the Bolton game a few weeks ago but United fans bang on about him as if he is the new Ronaldo for them, there is a big difference between a cult favourite and World Class, may get a start against some of the lower clubs and bang in a few goals though.

He has the highest goals per shot ratio of any player in the league. As of a few weeks ago, he had the best goals per minute ratio in PL history (and likely still does), at a full 25 minutes ahead of second place. He has pace, obvious skill, inventiveness, and his runs and positioning are seemingly undefendable.

But yeah, maybe he is overrated. (or maybe you've never bothered your hole to watch him?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Mister men wrote: »
    Underrated... Dirk Kuyt.
    Tim Cahill.
    Obi Mikel.

Overrated... Lescott.
    Nani. Ibrahimavic.

So you think he's even worse than the general public think he is?

Nani is rated nowhere near the level he plays at. He's often ridiculed by opposing fans, and the media alike. Yet you think they overrate him?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Gerty wrote: »
    'He suffers from chronic homesickness,[13] to the extent he walked out of training camps within Spain because they were too far away from Seville. He also suffers from anxiety attacks[14] and seizures.[15] Navas initially refused to travel with Sevilla during pre-season to the United States due to his acute homesickness, later deciding that he would travel in a bid to rid himself of this condition.[4]' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesús_Navas#Personal_life

He'd be doing well if he could even manage to leave to another club in Spain.
    He managed to go to the world cup in fairness, so could be getting over it to a certain extent

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Mister men wrote: »
    Nani.

Just because he simulates contact on occasion or comes across as "arrogant" doesn't make him a lesser player in terms of ability.

He's been involved in 28 goals in the PL this year yet he's continually called inconsistent and was unfairly overlooked for the POTY award, it was a farce really, considering some of the names ahead of him.

I can't understand why you consider him overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah Nani is underrated if anything. Sometimes I just scratch my head when I read things on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

partyndbs wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xPHbe6ibuM

ray hudson certainly rates him
    American commentator.

Shíte doesn't do him justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Overrated:

Bale
    Barry
    Adam

Underrated:

Adam Johnson
    Coloccini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Overrated - Fernando Torres

Underrated - Phil Jagielka

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Overrated -

Terry
    Torres
    Ibrahimavic
    Walcot
    Eduardo

Underrated -

Phil Neville
    Cahill
    Nani
    Valencia to an extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Over- Reina

Under- Kuyt, Adam.

Yeah 20 goals in his last 21 PL starts. Nowehere near Rooney's run of not scoring in open play for what, 9 months?

He's never scored more than 12 league goals. Poor record for a supposed world class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Agreed on Van Persie, he is a great player but I've always viewed him a step below the Drogba's and Rooney's of the world.

Agreed on Van Persie, he is a great player but I've always viewed him a step below the Drogba's and Rooney's of the world.

I agree I like him and he is a great player, but for me he just hasn't done it like the others have. His scoring record overall is not good enough particularly from season to season and he is not clinical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Overrated -

Terry
    Torres
    Ibrahimavic
    Walcot
    Eduardo

Underrated -

Phil Neville
    Cahill
    Nani
    Valencia to an extent
    Terry is a top class centre half.
    Torres is the best striker in the world on his day.
    Ibrahimovic is one of the best centre forwards I've ever seen, his repeated league medals are no accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Ever Banega. When he's in form he is phenomenal, but he's still probably best known from Football Manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

CorkMan wrote: »
    My own special players who are rated Overrated but are not:

Wayne Rooney (he may be looking normal sometimes, but he can turn it on at the right time (ie Chelsea away and bang them in for a while after)
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic (might not turn it on in Europe, well doesn't, but he is immense in Serie A)
    +1

For me,

Over rated

Rafael
    Cahill (Bolton)
    Jagielka
    Carragher
    Lennon

Under rated

Ridgewell
    Silva
    Adam Johnson
    Cleverley
    Tiote
    Samba
    Mingolet
    Bent - not worth £24m, but Villa weren't as ripped off as most people are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

elefant wrote: »
    Ever Banega. When he's in form he is phenomenal, but he's still probably best known from Football Manager.

Argentina are currently building their team around him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

+1 for javier zanetti. absolute legend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Warper wrote: »
    Argentina are currently building their team around him.

I wonder how many people know that though, and he wasn't even in the squad for the WC (even though he was in better form last season than this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

i remember some1 on this froum suggested their team sign anthony vand den boore, that belgian guy who was class in fm a few years back even though his career has gone into dramatic decline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

^^^

great in FM though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Torres is the best striker in the world on his day.
    His day is a friday apparently but unfortunately he doesn't play too many games on a friday though:D

• Advertisement

van Persie is up there with Drogba and Rooney in terms of ability. His main problem is that he just doesn't stay fit like the other two. All three have plenty more to their game than just goals but seeing as it has been mentioned, their goal ratios are similar.

van Persie - 162 starts, 64 subs, 89 goals - 0.55 goals per start, 0.39 goals per appearance
    Drogba - 245 starts, 55 subs, 142 goals - 0.58 goals per start, 0.47 goals per app
    Rooney - 279 starts, 33 subs, 144 goals - 0.52 goals per start, 0.46 goals per app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

But being fit and able to help your team when they need you is one of the main things any player has to do imo to be called one of the best in the world

Drogba and Rooney are far better players then Van Persie due to this, they are more reliable over a season then he is. Not necessarily a huge difference in ability, just two of them can be relied upon to be able to take the field more then the other one

I don't recall many ever calling him one of the best in the world. Really, how often do you see someone pay van Persie a comment like 'great player', without the added caveat 'shame he can never stay fit?'

I don't think anyone with the slightest clue about football would consider him to be as effective as Rooney or Drogba throughout the course of a season. When someone 'rates' van Persie it is on the basis of his ability, not on the basis of his overall contribution throughout the course of a season.

His ability is being called into question here, and it's wrong.

Likewise, I imagine if someone mentioned Ronaldo or van Basten here as being overrated, they'd get jumped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

His ability to stay fit is being called into question, and its right.

Since when is 'not clinical' a comment on one's fitness?

Do you think people, broadly, actually think van Persie is as effective as Rooney or Drogba over the course of a season?

• Advertisement
Advertisement