Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Over: Aiden McGeady

Under: Paddy McCourt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Doocey wrote: »
    Darren Bent overrated IMO.

Underrated - Fabricio Coloccini.

Maybe a tad biased :pac:
    Darren Bent is a great striker as is Coloccini a centre half imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Over

Bale
    Clichy
    Gerrard( I went there)
    Walcott
    Lennon
    Henderson

Under

Meyler
    brunt
    Etherington
    Faurlin
    Walters
    bardsley
    Kevin Davies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Over: Aiden McGeady

Under: Paddy McCourt

He can only play against rubbish teams. In the LOI he was pants against the good teams and walked through the not so good teams. It looks like its the same in scotland. He played well against Shelbourne once in about 10 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

jdooley28 wrote: »
    Under

Meyler

Simply because I don't know a thing about the guy beyond nationality, position and injury, can you explain him plz?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Over: Howard Webb.
    Under: Video Technology. (For the FA at least):P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

He can only play against rubbish teams. In the LOI he was pants against the good teams and walked through the not so good teams. It looks like its the same in scotland. He played well against Shelbourne once in about 10 games.

Sorry, but thats absolute bullsh1t, how many of his games did you watch in the LOI?

I'm a harps fan but live quite close to Derry so usually go in for the big games, he was always the stand out player at any match I've been at, you clearly are basing this opinion on a couple of times you've seen him play Shelbourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ams begovic is underrated I think top keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Underrated - Martin Olsson

I think he's a very good player who could make it at most of the top clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

G.K. wrote: »
    Simply because I don't know a thing about the guy beyond nationality, position and injury, can you explain him plz?

I don't think he will ever get into like top 4 team but for someone like Sunderland he is perfect. Not afraid to put his foot in but can control the game when he has to. He could be a very important player for Ireland if he recovers well, and obviously Trap picks him. Although he is Trap's style player as he is a work horse as well.

Hopefully he recovers well from a horrific injury. He played for the Reserves recently, so he is on his way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Overrated.

Charlie Adam
    Gareth Bale
    Vermalen
    Gary Cahill
    Jack Rodwell

Underrated.
    Anderson
    Nani
    long
    Enrique
    Chris Brunt
    Fellaini
    Meireles
    Ramires

Vermaelaen overrated seriously? Ok hes a sicknote but when he plays hes without a doubt oneof hte best CB,s in the EPL and would easoly get his game at most big clubs around Europe when fit.

Then to say Nani is underrated not a chance Nani is constantly getting flattering remarks thrown his way, even been named in the EPL team of the season last year and being nominated for young player of the year aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I agree, Vermaelen is definitely overrated, I think he has just stood out as the star man in a poor defence, never impressed me in a big game.

As for Nani, he was underrated for a long time but now he seems to be getting the plaudits he deserves, I don't think he is underrated anymore, he will always be disliked but nobody can deny his talent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Over rated:
    Sammi Eto'o

Under rated:
    Massimo Ambrosini

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nani is surely underrated. When I talked to people following Serie A, they think Nani is still the same old very inconsistent, level below the likes of Krasic, Navas player.

He has improved a lot, this season he is getting plaudits from few TV pundits but it just started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Overrated.. Anderson
    Underrated.. Kuyt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

over
    Mascherano
    Everyone who plays for England :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Seaneh wrote: »
    Over rated:
    Sammi Eto'o

Not a chance. how is he overrated?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Over rated:
    Sammi Eto'o

/QUOTE]

Eh, Eto is one of the best strikers of the past 20 years :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Nani is surely underrated. When I talked to people following Serie A, they think Nani is still the same old very inconsistent, level below the likes of Krasic, Navas player.

He has improved a lot, this season he is getting plaudits from few TV pundits but it just started.

Nah, anyone watching the game ... and particularly playing fantasy football ... knows how big Nani's contribution was last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Over rated:
    Sammi Eto'o

Under rated:
    Massimo Ambrosini

Underrated by Milan:
    Andrea Pirlo. :D

Overrated by people who don't watch Serie A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Nani is still below the levels of Krasic and Navas, what's wrong there?

Underrated by Milan:
    Andrea Pirlo.

Disagree. Milan rated Pirlo very highly and sure they had him as the focal point of the team for years. At the moment they are going in a different direction and Pirlo just isn't the player they are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

iregk wrote: »
    Nani is still below the levels of Krasic and Navas, what's wrong there?

Underrated by Milan:
    Andrea Pirlo.

Disagree. Milan rated Pirlo very highly and sure they had him as the focal point of the team for years. At the moment they are going in a different direction and Pirlo just isn't the player they are looking for.

I wonder sometimes just how good people think Krasic is. He's a one trick pony. He's very fast but completely right footed. 9 times out of 10 he'll try to go past his man down the outside. Nani offers much more final product.

I was joking about Pirlo really to annoy a Milan fan after his good start to the season with Juve. I agree that Milan were looking for a different kind of midfielder but losing a player that good for nothing to one of your biggest rivals is still a poor piece of business. He's still only 32. To put that in perpesctive, that's the age Del Piero was when he was the top scorer in Serie A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

nani is underated because Serie A followers say so?
    Fair enough so ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Modric is still under-rated by so many people. What he brings to the table is so different to what any other player does. He's the difference in Spurs being a good team and a very good team.

Sandro as well, best holding midf in the PL. Not surprised that Mou wants him. Was fcuking immense against AC in last years CL, put in a superb performance against Chelsea too. Big game player.

Meireles is also criminally under-rated. One of the best midfs in the league, better than anything at Liverpool yet was the only high profile exit there.

Stu Holden at Bolton is playing at a lower level than he should be. Outstanding player, will he interesting to see how he recovers from his injury.

As for the over-rated players, pretty much anyone from Britain. Especially all those that have transferred clubs in the last 2 windows, with the exception of Downing. Liverpools only good summer acquisition imo.

Phil Jones is quickly becoming the most over-rated player, on here anyways. Very good player, but has a long way to go to warrant the praise he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

THFC wrote: »
    Modric is still under-rated by so many people. What he brings to the table is so different to what any other player does. He's the difference in Spurs being a good team and a very good team.

Sandro as well, best holding midf in the PL. Not surprised that Mou wants him. Was fcuking immense against AC in last years CL, put in a superb performance against Chelsea too. Big game player.

Meireles is also criminally under-rated. One of the best midfs in the league, better than anything at Liverpool yet was the only high profile exit there.

Stu Holden at Bolton is playing at a lower level than he should be. Outstanding player, will he interesting to see how he recovers from his injury.

As for the over-rated players, pretty much anyone from Britain. Especially all those that have transferred clubs in the last 2 windows, with the exception of Downing. Liverpools only good summer acquisition imo.

Phil Jones is quickly becoming the most over-rated player, on here anyways. Very good player, but has a long way to go to warrant the praise he gets.

Ashley Young. Chris Smalling. Just to name two at United off the top of my head.

Agreed there are a lot but generalisations dont work when describing football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

VW 1 wrote: »
    Ashley Young. Chris Smalling. Just to name two at United off the top of my head.

Both of them are over rated in my opinion, and I'd add Jones to that list too.

I'm not saying they are bad players or indeed I'm not even denying they are good players but they are still over rated, simply because they are at United and United fans like to blow everything out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Quazzie wrote: »
    United fans like to blow everything out of proportion.

Yep,we're all the same,every last stereotypical one of us has the exact same opinion ;)

Both of them are over rated in my opinion, and I'd add Jones to that list too.

I'm not saying they are bad players or indeed I'm not even denying they are good players but they are still over rated, simply because they are at United and United fans like to blow everything out of proportion.

Anytime I have seen Phil Jones he has looked a top top player. Not a manu fan but he genuinely looks the best english youngster around by a country mile.

Underrated by Milan:
    Andrea Pirlo. :D

I dont think he was under rated at all, I feel exactly the opposite. He was the center of the team for almost a decade, we were completely reliant on him, when he was injured or banned or had a bad game, Milan were nowhere near as good. I think Allegri realised that and decided to move away from that system, so that if one or two players were missing, the entire team doesn´t suffer. He wanted more dynamic players like KPB who can play in a number of positions, younger players like El Shaawary with a bit of pace and just a change to the general style of play, a bit more width. A central 3 of players who work hard but can play a bit (Ambrosini, Flamini and Seedorf seem to be his perfered starting 3) behind an attacking 3 with a lot of freedom.
    Add to that 2 years with a lot of injuries, a need to lower wages at the club and Pirlos desire to be a regular starter and it was just time for him to move on.

I will always regard Pirlo as one of the best in his position for his generation and someone, along with Xavi, who pretty much changed the way deep laying playmakers play, he is/was head and shoulders above players like Guardiola or the likes in the 90s and only Xavi has been his peer in the last 10 years in their position, those two are the two best at what they do Ive seen in the last 20 years, incredibly smart players who make every other player around them even better because of their vision, passing ability and intelligence, they create space better than anyone else on the planet and use the ball in ways other players just cant.

Also totally agree with Krasic, good player but totally one dimensional.

Anytime I have seen Phil Jones he has looked a top top player. Not a manu fan but he genuinely looks the best english youngster around by a country mile.

I would agree with this. Looks like the best thing to come out of the English youth set up in a long time, could see him being a future England and Man Utd captain. I think he is already a great player and will push the two ahead of him at Utd for a place this season, and he is still only, what, 19 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I would agree with this. Looks like the best thing to come out of the English youth set up in a long time, could see him being a future England and Man Utd captain. I think he is already a great player and will push the two ahead of him at Utd for a place this season, and he is still only, what, 19 or something?

Yeah, 19.

It's funny how people can say he's overrated as I've watched every single United game this season and Jones has consistently been our best player behind Rooney. I know people point to Young and Nani there too but both of them have had a couple of average games this season each, but have been very good overall. Jones has been outstanding in them all.

To be putting in those performances at the age of 19 at a new club is nothing short of incredible and deserves all the plaudits it gets imo. Yes, it is very early to be saying he's the next Beckenbauer etc. but I think alot of that is slightly tongue in cheek.

I think the couple of people on here who have been saying he's overrated so far have been a Spurs and an Arsenal fan, two clubs that tried and failed to sign Jones this Summer.

Oh and I completely agree that Pirlo has been a sensational player over the last decade. Capable of passing that only Xavi could replicate.

Blatter wrote: »
    I think the couple of people on here who have been saying he's overrated so far have been a Spurs and an Arsenal fan, two clubs that tried and failed to sign Jones this Summer.
    Thats got absolutely nothing to do with it. You say that people are talking tongue in cheek about him being the next Beckenbauer , but there are those that are serious when they say it. Whilst he has looked good this year, I don't think he has been as good as some are rating him. This means he is over rated by some.

Thats got absolutely nothing to do with it. You say that people are talking tongue in cheek about him being the next Beckenbauer , but there are those that are serious when they say it. Whilst he has looked good this year, I don't think he has been as good as some are rating him. This means he is over rated by some.

Over rated by some doesnt mean it is the general consensus on this board or in real life. To say he has performed fantastically, isn't over rating him or exaggerating, it's a fact.

It's not like me saying that I think Joe Hart is over rated because I heard a fella down the pub say so..

I mentioned that more to emphasise how many top clubs were after him this Summer, hense how highly rated the guy is.

Tbh, I don't ever remember a 19 year old defender being this good. I've never seen it before and I'd be fairly confident there would be quite a few that would agree with me on that score.

It's perfectly natural the guy is going to be rated extraordinarily high. He merits it.

And I don't think many people at all think he's currently as good as some of the names that he gets compared with eg. Beckenbauer, Desailly etc. but it's clear for all to see that he has the potential to reach those sort of levels and he has it in abundance.

Do you still consider him to be in the top 6 defenders in the EPL?

Do you still consider him to be in the top 6 defenders in the EPL?

I said top 6-8 before, not top 6 and yes I'd have him in that bracket.

Do you not see how rating someone in the top 8 defenders in the league after only 41 career games is over rating a player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Overrated:
    Wayne Rooney

Underrated:
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Do you not see how rating someone in the top 8 defenders in the league after only 41 career games is over rating a player?

No. He's playing at that level at the moment (top 6-8 CB in the league) so I will rate him accordingly.

What do you want me to say, that I should rate Skrtel, Gary Cahill, Alex, Mertezacker etc, higher than him purely because they have more professional appearances under their belt?

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Overrated:
    Wayne Rooney

Underrated:
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic

How is Rooney overrated? Apart from Alex Ferguson he is the most important person at Manchester United, one of the top three clubs in the world.

How can you over state his importance or overrate him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

THFC wrote: »

Is this the same Meireles that got PFA Fans' Player of the Year in his first year in the premiership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Andy 'a poor man's Peter Crouch' Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Is this the same Meireles that got PFA Fans' Player of the Year in his first year in the premiership?

Well Chelsea got him for 12 million so someone underrated him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

Overrated: Andy Carroll. Pound for pound the worst signing in the history of English football. The 8th most expensive player in the history of football. An utterly ridiculous signing.

Underrated: Antonio Valencia. An astonishingly good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Overrated: Andy Carroll. Pound for pound the worst signing in the history of English football. The 8th most expensive player in the history of football. An utterly ridiculous signing.

Terribly underrated as a Goal keeper...better than De Gea I am sure you will agree. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There really is a need for an international ratings agency when it comes to footballers!
    The Moodygits Index

My mate thinks Scott Parker is a legend, another mate thinks he's brutal, I think he's both over and underrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Personally I fell if a player has a few good games in England hes the next big thing and if he plays for Barca hes suddenly one of the worlds best players, Rooney is overrated because the amount of people you hear saying hes the best english player ever, White Pele, I never said he wasnt important to United I said hes overrated because hes english

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

nani is underated because Serie A followers say so?
    Fair enough so ha

Not exactly. But those who dont watch him regularly still think he is same old Nani. Just gave an example of Serie A fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Paparazzo wrote: »

No, Jonathan Bobby Meireles who plays for Obvious United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Over-rated

Kevin Davies. If any "foreigner" had as poor a goal-scoring record and committed as many fouls as he did, he would be one of the most despised players in the league.

And slightly off-topic, Owen Coyle is the most over-rated manager around. It's ridiculous to think that Alex McLeish is one of the favourites to be first sacked, when Owen "see me on Soccer AM next week" Coyle has been in free-fall for the past six months. Gary Negson would be lynched by now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement