Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Underrated: Antonio Valencia. An astonishingly good player.

he's good and all, but he doesn't astound me FFS.

he does what he does, and he does it very well. he beats his man, down the outside, and swings in a very good cross. plus he has pace and strength. he's a quality player. but he never makes me jump out of my seat, which is what an "astonishing" player should do.

he'd be getting in the team if he was astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

SlickRic wrote: »
    he's good and all, but he doesn't astound me FFS.

he does what he does, and he does it very well. he beats his man, down the outside, and swings in a very good cross. plus he has pace and strength. he's a quality player. but he never makes me jump out of my seat, which is what an "astonishing" player should do.

he'd be getting in the team if he was astonishing.

Agreed, also because the competition is now so high at Utd for wing spots, it's becoming more and more clear that Valencia hasn't got a left foot. It's scary to watch sometimes. he has an easy pass with the left, but instead has to play it with the outside of the right.
    I think he is a good player and would get into most PL teams, but with Nani, Young and Park all two footed, he has some catching up to do.

Overrated...
    Wilshire
    Parker
    Milner
    Whelan (by Trapp)

Underrated...
    Carrick (as a holding, passing midfielder)
    Song
    Gibson (lol - Joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Overrated:

Antonio Valencia
    Michael Carrick

Underrated:

Marouane Fellaini
    Kevin Doyle
    Zlatan Ibrahimavic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

over rated...

tevez....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Interesting thread, had a good laugh reading through it. This thread is probably over rated.

How football can change in 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paully D wrote: »

Overrated:

Theo Walcott

Underrated:

Mulumubu of West Brom
    Stewart Downing
    Kevin Doyle (outside of Ireland)

Does this clown still post on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Paully D wrote: »
    Does this clown still post on here?
    Ha, I said Ribery for overrated. He's really shoved that down my throat since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Ha, I said Ribery for overrated. He's really shoved that down my throat since.

What are you? An underage prostitute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Messi is overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

partyndbs wrote: »
    doyle is phenomenol. hes really underrated by irish people

A phenomenol fall from grace, one goal in league 1 so far is it?

Funny how things can change so quick. Know tis a bit stupid pointing out things from 2 years ago but this one stuck out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dempsey wrote: »
    Overrated

Gareth Bale - He has improved alot but I think all these niggling injuries wont stop and are going to wreck him. He certainly hasnt been consistent.

Ibrahimovic - Has bottled far too many big matches where he was expected to be the difference.

Underrated
    Nani - How Bale was nominated for POTY over him is a mystery.

Ramires - He's taking alot of flak at Chelsea that isnt merited.

Izaguirre & Kayal - Scream bias at me but they have been consistently standout performers for Celtic all season which is reflected in the attention from Arsenal, Man United, Liverpool + co. They'll have a job holding onto them during the summer.

Chuckle

Agree about Ramires though. I coudlnt tell you who Izagurre and Kayal are playing for now a days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Chuckle

Agree about Ramires though. I coudlnt tell you who Izagurre and Kayal are playing for now a days.

Bale is still vastly overrated and is always wearing strapping of some sort. He's injured at the moment too.

Ibrahimovic was inconsistent in big matches at the time, seems to have matured now.

Nani did have a better season imo, he's gone backwards at an alarming rate now.

Kayal & Izaguirre have gotten serious injuries since that assessment was made. My crystal ball must have been on the blink that day! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Jack Willshere - mediocre, comparable to a chip butty. Aaron Ramsey is ten times the player, horrid abuse he got from his own supporters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bale is still vastly overrated and is always wearing strapping of some sort. He's injured at the moment too.

Ibrahimovic was inconsistent in big matches at the time, seems to have matured now.

Kayal & Izaguirre have gotten serious injuries since that assessment was made. My crystal ball must have been on the blink that day! :p

Can't really disagree to be honest. The fee paid for Bale is almost the definition of overrated, and regardless of what happened since Nani did have a better season the year Bale got POTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Jack Willshere - mediocre, comparable to a chip butty. Aaron Ramsey is ten times the player, horrid abuse he got from his own supporters too.

And rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There are a few wingbacks floating around the EPL that are consistently reliable IMHO.
    Thinking along the lines of Riether and Pieters here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Zlatan has a long record of playing well in big matches. Big matches are not exclusive to RTE and ITV against English teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

David Silva?
    Joe Hart?
    Possible overrated players?

Other people like Kyle Walker who are much heralded by people who don't watch him, but I've seen Spurs fans question him.(About last season, not sure about this one)

Zlatan has a long record of playing well in big matches. Big matches are not exclusive to RTE and ITV against English teams.

There were other big games, domestic & European, where he didnt perform to the level expected of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sugarlumps wrote: »

This post is pretty much the definition of short-termism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Under: Rooney
    Over: Ibra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Under: Danny Wallace
    Over: Rod Wallace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

I'd have these two myself,
    But the other way around.

But most overrated player would have too be Cantona.
    Never done nothing in the champions league or for France at a big tournament.

jamaamaj wrote: »
    I'd have these two myself,
    But the other way around.

But most overrated player would have too be Cantona.
    Never done nothing in the champions league or for France at a big tournament.

I could be wrong but did Cantona not have a falling out with the French Manager at the time. I think it's unfortunate he's only judged by his short stint at utd. he was a class act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

syngindub wrote: »
    I could be wrong but did Cantona not have a falling out with the French Manager at the time. I think it's unfortunate he's only judged by his short stint at utd. he was a class act

Cantona brought it all on himself,
    After been dropped by the then French Manager,
    Cantona then responded by slagging him off and instulting him on French TV.

• Advertisement

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Cantona brought it all on himself,
    After been dropped by the then French Manager,
    Cantona then responded by slagging him off and instulting him on French TV.
    but he's French though !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Both Rooney and Zlatan are fantastic players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

syngindub wrote: »

Cantona was at United for five years so I'm not sure that qualifies as a short stint.

He did completely transform United from a good team into the best team in England, and was the dominant player in the Premier League in that time (an era which included Shearer, Keane, Fowler, and Bergkamp) so he did have a huge impact.

I think it's harsh to criticize his form in the Champions League as English teams has only just been allowed back to Europe after the Heysel Disaster, and had fallen way behind the quality of continental teams. Cantona can't really be blamed for not delivering in Europe when he played for a comparatively weak team.

On balance I'd say he's neither over or under-rated. He deserves to be highly rated, but is not in the same league as truely great players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Ibrahimovic is far from overrated. Fantastic player, been up there with the best of the best for years and has had a far more illustrious career than the likes of Rooney, RVP, Aguero etc. who are regularly regarded as better than him when they are not.

Absolute phenomenon and is so underrated in the British press, it's not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

There were other big games, domestic & European, where he didnt perform to the level expected of him.

Yes but the same goes for Messi, Ronadlo and every other player to ever play though. There was a vendetta against him in the English press from the start. Plus his arrogance and cockiness seems to cause a lot of people to dislike him and thus underrate him

• Advertisement

Ibrahimovic is far from overrated. Fantastic player, been up there with the best of the best for years and has had a far more illustrious career than the likes of Rooney, RVP, Aguero etc. who are regularly regarded as better than him when they are not.

Absolute phenomenon and is so underrated in the British press, it's not right.

Eh, don't think Ibra has had a more illustrious career than Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

not sure you understand the word.

not sure you understand the word.

Go on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Rooney has a Champions League, but Ibra has 10 league titles (10!) to Rooney's 5. Think I'd give it to Ibra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

ambid wrote: »
    Cantona was at United for five years so I'm not sure that qualifies as a short stint.

He did completely transform United from a good team into the best team in England, and was the dominant player in the Premier League in that time (an era which included Shearer, Keane, Fowler, and Bergkamp) so he did have a huge impact.

I think it's harsh to criticize his form in the Champions League as English teams has only just been allowed back to Europe after the Heysel Disaster, and had fallen way behind the quality of continental teams. Cantona can't really be blamed for not delivering in Europe when he played for a comparatively weak team.

On balance I'd say he's neither over or under-rated. He deserves to be highly rated, but is not in the same league as truely great players.

I don't know if you can really include Bergkamp in there ;), considering there time in the EPL only overlapped for two seasons the first of which Bergkamp was having his settling into the EPL season and under Bruce Rioch before Wenger arrived and Bergkamp went on to play a further 9 seasons in EPL.

Didn't Ibra win 8 titles in a row?

Rooney has a Champions League, but Ibra has 10 league titles (10!) to Rooney's 5. Think I'd give it to Ibra.

Kidding me? Ibra has done it in joke leagues, with the exception of his La Liga win, when he was absolute rubbish before being shipped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Kidding me? Ibra has done it in joke leagues, with the exception of his La Liga win, when he was absolute rubbish before being shipped out.

:pac::pac: Do you watch football at all? Rubbish leagues? He was rubbish at Barca? Are you Eamon Dunphy's son?

He was shipped out because he didn't get on with pep.

The fees he has commanded shows he is clearly respected within the football world.

I think you need to watch his Barca season again. Rubbish? Not even close, it was a rift with Guardiola that saw him leave. As for the joke leagues, La Liga and Serie A around 2004-06 was still better than the Premier League.

• Advertisement

He was shipped out because he didn't get on with pep.

The fees he has commanded shows he is clearly respected within the football world.

He was shipped out because he was rubbish. I will never forget the game in which Messi did everything he could to help Ibra score but he kept missing. Eventually Messi won a penalty and handed the ball to Ibra. It was a nice gesture from Messi but it was the end for Ibra at Barca, at that point his pride was shattered.

He was shipped out because he was rubbish. I will never forget the game in which Messi did everything he could to help Ibra score but he kept missing. Eventually Messi won a penalty and handed the ball to Ibra. It was a nice gesture from Messi but it was the end for Ibra at Barca, at that point his pride was shattered.

He averaged more than a goal every other game at barca, you're talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

So Zlatan is crap now. Any other pearls of wisdom out there. Durp Totti is crap and Darren Bent is AMAZING. Scored for Fullers today again.

Not crap, just overrated. People getting butthurt over the most high profile flop in the history of the champions league.

Not crap, just overrated. People getting butthurt over the most high profile flop in the history of the champions league.

Butthurt? Are you 11?

I'm just shocked that people still have opinions as ridiculous as yours in this day and age, with so much technology available to watch games.

Yes but the same goes for Messi, Ronadlo and every other player to ever play though. There was a vendetta against him in the English press from the start. Plus his arrogance and cockiness seems to cause a lot of people to dislike him and thus underrate him

So there was weight to the argument that he's consistency was questionable.

at the time id tell people to watch more ibra only for him not to do anything worth the praise. several times he made me look da fool!

Butthurt? Are you 11?

I'm just shocked that people still have opinions as ridiculous as yours in this day and age, with so much technology available to watch games.

Eh? Merely stating he's overrated, hardly an outrageous statement. Not saying he's crap, season with Barca and performances in the last 8 of the Cl not withstanding.

Eh? Merely stating he's overrated, hardly an outrageous statement. Not saying he's crap, season with Barca and performances in the last 8 of the Cl not withstanding.

It most certainly is outrageous as the large proportion of your statement is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

He was shipped out because he was rubbish.

Not crap but just overrated & rubbish.

• Advertisement

Not crap? You said he was rubbish. Which is it?

Advertisement