Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

GTR63 wrote: »
    Not crap but just overrated & rubbish.

Ah here; the man has 271 goals and 105 assists from 401 career starts along with 45 goals from 93 starts for Sweden.

He's fairly ****ing far from rubbish! He's about a million light years away from falling into the rubbish category in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

cson wrote: »
    Ah here; the man has 271 goals and 105 assists from 401 career starts along with 45 goals from 93 starts for Sweden.

He's fairly ****ing far from rubbish! He's about a million light years away from falling into the rubbish category in fact.

Hmm maybe you quoted the wrong person or you got the wrong end of the stick ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

2 overated players, how they are both playing in the premiership is a mystery to me -
    1. Glen Whelan , how he is an international with so many caps is beyond me.

2. Danny Graham - his level is way below premiership , not sure he is even at Championship level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

cson wrote: »

:confused: I was arguing that he wasn`t rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Under rated.

Francesco Totti, he's like 5million years old and still doing the business regularly, in his career he turned down moved to Milan, Juve and Real Madrid at different times when each was one of the dominant teams in Europe. The only thing he hasn't won is a Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Seaneh wrote: »
    Under rated.

Francesco Totti, he's like 5million years old and still doing the business regularly, in his career he turned down moved to Milan, Juve and Real Madrid at different times when each was one of the dominant teams in Europe. The only thing he hasn't won is a Champions League.

This is the best answer. He wasn't even nominated for 2007 Player of the Year even though he was top scorer in the top European leagues.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Under rated.

Yup. It's always bugged me how he isn't held in higher regards by fans of clubs elsewhere, namely those outside of Italy.

3 goalsand 6 assists in 7 games.
    Unreal form for anyone, never mind a 37 year old who's been around for 20 year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Really? Always found Totti to be pretty highly rated by most people I have talked to about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ibrahimovic is far from overrated. Fantastic player, been up there with the best of the best for years and has had a far more illustrious career than the likes of Rooney, RVP, Aguero etc. who are regularly regarded as better than him when they are not.

Absolute phenomenon and is so underrated in the British press, it's not right.

I'd love to see him play in England just to ram it down their throats.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

3 goalsand 6 assists in 7 games.
    Unreal form for anyone, never mind a 37 year old who's been around for 20 year!

Very much so, a real rarity to find a player producing such numbers so late on their career.
    kryogen wrote: »
    Really? Always found Totti to be pretty highly rated by most people I have talked to about him.

Most people I've spoken to on these shores most certainly always question him due to not moving to Real Madrid when he had the chance. A big fish in a small pond player (very disrespectful to Roma) or similar words were commonly trotted out to bash him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Under rated.

764dak wrote: »
    This is the best answer. He wasn't even nominated for 2007 Player of the Year even though he was top scorer in the top European leagues.

Still can't believe he wasn't even nominated. He was arguably the best player in Europe that season along with Ronaldo and Kaka but never got the recognition. Fantastic player but criminally underrated when talked about modern day Great players.

A lot of the same players are popping up as being overrated by some and underrated by others !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Most over rated for me is Johnny Evans. He is a terrible defender imo and it's bizarre that Fergie stood by him for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Quazzie wrote: »
    Most over rated for me is Johnny Evans. He is a terrible defender imo and it's bizarre that Fergie stood by him for so long.

He's not overrated and he's a good centre half. He's played excellently when called upon and if anything the guy is underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

You could argue Jordan Henderson is neither underrated or overrated but I think this season he really has improved at Liverpool. My man of the match yesterday imo, and some solid stats to back it up.

Red Crow wrote: »
    He's not overrated and he's a good centre half. He's played excellently when called upon and if anything the guy is underrated.

I'd put him on a level with Senderos during his period with Arsenal, or more recently Squilachi. The fact that he played so many games for a Championship winning team, means that someone, somewhere was definitely over rating him.

I'd put him on a level with Senderos during his period with Arsenal, or more recently Squilachi. The fact that he played so many games for a Championship winning team, means that someone, somewhere was definitely over rating him.

Well I can tell you now he's far better than you can think he is

Well I can tell you now he's far better than you can think he is

He's really not. He wouldn't get in any of the other top 6/7 teams in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

He's really not. He wouldn't get in any of the other top 6/7 teams in the EPL.

Nonesence, he doesn't usually get in the United team but he would easily get in the spurs and arsenal team and he's better than Gary cahill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Overrated: Andy Carroll (then)

Underrated: Andy Carroll (now)

Nonesence, he doesn't usually get in the United team but he would easily get in the spurs and arsenal team and he's better than Gary cahill.

So he's better that Koscielny, Mertesacker and Vermaelan. Jesus some United fans really are up their own arses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

All my foreign friends would consider Totti one of the greats.

Was never underrated. Super player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So he's better that Koscielny, Mertesacker and Vermaelan. Jesus some United fans really are up their own arses

Ha this is gas, he and a lot of other top 4 defenders are miles ahead of Vermaelen. I rate Koscielny very highly so would probably have him ahead of Evans. Mertesacker I'm not sure it's even worth comparing due to the age difference but if you rate Evans so low I'd definitely question how much you've seen him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Could just as easily say you're up your own arse for rating those 3 higher than him. I think all 3 of them are overrated by a lot of Arsenal fans. Koscielny had a good season last time around, still has too many brainfart moments. He's like a magnet for penalty conceding, own goals and red cards. Mertesacker turns like a bus, someone with his pace will always have problems. Vermaelen is very hit and miss IMO. His driving runs from defence and generally his work at the other end of the pitch mask his pretty average defensive skills.

Evans only has to be as good as or better than 2 of them anyway. It's debatable but he shouldn't be dismissed as easily as you are doing.

Ya its just United fans up their own arses the rest are fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Still can't believe he wasn't even nominated. He was arguably the best player in Europe that season along with Ronaldo and Kaka but never got the recognition. Fantastic player but criminally underrated when talked about modern day Great players.

Hugel under rated however it seems that if you don't play for a huge team you don't gain world wide recognition.

He's also a gentlemen and does a lot for charity, recently their was a Roma family attending a match and they were tryin to raise funds to send their daughter to the US for treatment, he heard the broadcast during the warmup, and ended up funding he entire trip and treatment for the little girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Do you not think you're contradicting yourself here, as you said he's been arguably the player man united have played most in central defence the last 2/3 years and with that have been 2 titles and another lost on goal difference, if he was so so bad and is up there with senders surely we would have leaked more goals and would have been sitting around the table where arsenal were? Instead of challenging for titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Overrated: Kagawa, Bale, Gotze, Benteke, Gundogan, Hart, Rooney, Neymar

Underrated: Shaqiri, Guarin, Benat, Riquelme, Lucas (PSG), Negredo, Koke

• Advertisement

Could just as easily say you're up your own arse for rating those 3 higher than him. I think all 3 of them are overrated by a lot of Arsenal fans. Koscielny had a good season last time around, still has too many brainfart moments. He's like a magnet for penalty conceding, own goals and red cards. Mertesacker turns like a bus, someone with his pace will always have problems. Vermaelen is very hit and miss IMO. His driving runs from defence and generally his work at the other end of the pitch mask his pretty average defensive skills.

Evans only has to be as good as or better than 2 of them anyway. It's debatable but he shouldn't be dismissed as easily as you are doing.

:pac::pac: yet despite all this Arsenal had the second best defensive record in the EPL last season? But clearly our defence would be better with Johny Evans in it :pac: it must have been pure luck our defence last season was so tight. Most fans think our defence last season was our main issue it wasn't it was creativity and lack of goals in some games which cost us.

A defence which had a better record than United's ;).

Verm is third choice and rightly so.

I wouldn't say Evans is overrated he's a very average player who fills in when needed nothing more but to insinuate he could get into the Arsenal team makes you're post comeplete and utter bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Under rated.

Probably my favourite goal of his.

Remember when he got injured in the run-up to the 2006 World Cup which hampered his form at the big event, pity cause he was in some form at the time in a false no.9 role with Mancini & Taddei out wide. He was quality last night aswell, a LOT of players could learn a bit by watching him play.

:pac::pac: yet despite all this Arsenal had the second best defensive record in the EPL last season? But clearly our defence would be better with Johny Evans in it :pac: it must have been pure luck our defence last season was so tight. Most fans think our defence last season was our main issue it wasn't it was creativity and lack of goals in some games which cost us.

A defence which had a better record than United's ;).

Verm is third choice and rightly so.

I wouldn't say Evans is overrated he's a very average player who fills in when needed nothing more but to insinuate he could get into the Arsenal team makes you're post comeplete and utter bollocks.
    I couldn't give a flying f**k that stats show Arsenal had a tighter defence last season. You would be hard pushed to find anybody without bias to tell you that Arsensal had better defenders than United.
    Stats are not the be all and end all of an argument. Using them to make your point, disregarding the rest of the team and how games panned out makes your post absolute bollocks IMO.

I couldn't give a flying f**k that stats show Arsenal had a tighter defence last season. You would be hard pushed to find anybody without bias to tell you that Arsensal had better defenders than United.
    Stats are not the be all and end all of an argument. Using them to make your point, disregarding the rest of the team and how games panned out makes your post absolute bollocks IMO.

So stats show nothing, so in that case we might aswell dismiss who league winners were, top scorers were in Europe sure lets discount Messi's and Ronaldo's stat sure there only average players really :pac:

United's strength last season came from there forward line not there defence to say Evan's not a first choice centre back for a team who had worse defence than Arsenal's last season could arguably be a starter for Arsenal? Really re read that bit and have a good talk to yourself.

I'm not disregarding the rest of the team :confused: Yes United were better than Arsenal last season sure they won the league Arsenal scraped fourth that still don't make United defence better or Evans a better player.

Wipe you're mouth of you're talking shiite ;)

I think their defence was better than UTD's last year and is again this year.
    And Evans, who I actually rate higher than most, wouldn't get near the first team, Per and Kos are nailed on starters and probably the on form centre back pairing in Europe at the minute.

So stats show nothing, so in that case we might aswell dismiss who league winners were, top scorers were in Europe sure lets discount Messi's and Ronaldo's stat sure there only average players really :pac:

United's strength last season came from there forward line not there defence to say Evan's not a first choice centre back for a team who had worse defence than Arsenal's last season could arguably be a starter for Arsenal? Really re read that bit and have a good talk to yourself.

I'm not disregarding the rest of the team :confused: Yes United were better than Arsenal last season sure they won the league Arsenal scraped fourth that still don't make United defence better or Evans a better player.

Wipe you're mouth of you're talking shiite ;)
    What part of "stats are not the be all and end all" says to you that stats mean nothing at all??

Of course they mean something, you need to take context into it as well.
    Think you might need to calm down a bit there, wipe the foam off the screen and read what I said properly before going off on one.

Part in bold has nothing to do with what I was saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Overrated: Kagawa, Bale, Gotze, Benteke, Gundogan, Hart, Rooney, Neymar

Underrated: Shaqiri, Guarin, Benat, Riquelme, Lucas (PSG), Negredo, Koke

Id agree on bale and hart, kagawa just does not fit in at united it seems but the way some united fans think he would help them if he played more is exaggerated a bit imo.

Toni Kroos is still underrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Could sturridge still be classed as underratted ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kagawa is suffering from Jack Wilshere syndrome and being overly hyped up whilst not playing

What part of "stats are not the be all and end all" says to you that stats mean nothing at all??

Of course they mean something, you need to take context into it as well.
    Think you might need to calm down a bit there, wipe the foam off the screen and read what I said properly before going off on one.

Part in bold has nothing to do with what I was saying.

:pac: I'm perfectly calm, the point still stands Evans wouldn't get near the Arsenal first eleven and to insinuate he would is ludicrous.

• Advertisement

Not more than Arsenal fans rating every player of their as better than ManUtd and still finishes 20 points below us everytime.

Now I'm waiting for that's Fergie factor posts.

Toni Kroos is still underrated

Wouldn't agree with that. A lot of players who people don't bother watching could fit into that category.

Kroos, Alaba, Muller etc. would all fit into that category. If people bothered watching them they would see how good some of these guys are.

Wouldn't agree with that. A lot of players who people don't bother watching could fit into that category.

Kroos, Alaba, Muller etc. would all fit into that category. If people bothered watching them they would see how good some of these guys are.

Muller though and Alaba are well regarded from what I read and see. Kroos not so much.

Not more than Arsenal fans rating every player of their as better than ManUtd and still finishes 20 points below us everytime.

I've noticed recently that it's a very common tactic of some Utd fans to just go back to the 'we won the league', 'you haven't won a trophy in years' or 'Arsenal fans were booing their own team' when presented with a tricky argument.

It's like you're about to tackle the point at hand and then some smug superiority thing crops up instead and you figure the best way forward is to be condescending to fans of other teams.

Looking forward to that hopefully changing in the future.

Edited: there are of course excellent, articulate Utd fans who are rational and very capable of having a meaningful discussion too. I just think they get lost in the crowers who just want to point out how amazing Utd are in comparison to your little team.

He was quoting an actual opinion expressed here.

Please give us some evidence of what you've cited above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Arsenal have better defenders than United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't mean to rain on anybodies parade, but Francesco Totti has never been underrated by anybody anywhere, everybody already knows he is a legend.

gosplan wrote: »
    I've noticed recently that it's a very common tactic of some Utd fans to just go back to the 'we won the league', 'you haven't won a trophy in years' or 'Arsenal fans were booing their own team' when presented with a tricky argument.

It's like you're about to tackle the point at hand and then some smug superiority thing crops up instead and you figure the best way forward is to be condescending to fans of other teams.

Looking forward to that hopefully changing in the future.

Check the post I quoted. And kindly pleasea f.. I dont want to get yellow card but you missing point/posts and posting same **** is so boring.

Edit:

If you think there is nothing wrong with that then..

astonaidan wrote: »
    Arsenal have better defenders than United
    I don't think they do. With the ball retention in midfield they don't get tested nearly as much as most other teams in the league. When they are tested they look shaky.

They also have a far more regular back 4 than United. Vidic and Ferdinand are in and out of the team all the time.
    The Arsenal defence has performed better but I think United have the better defenders if you get what I'm saying.
    All my opinion of course.

Don't mean to rain on anybodies parade, but Francesco Totti has never been underrated by anybody anywhere, everybody already knows he is a legend.

Exactly this but you could just say that to a sky and bbc watching population, anyone good that doesn't play in the premier league or regularly in the latter stsges of the CL is underrated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement