Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I think people should clarify whether thing they think a player is overrated/underrated in general or by something more specific. For example

Kagawa is underrated in the UK and immensely so by people who've seen little to nowt of him before.

Kroos is very much rated in Germany by fans and media alike. Bayern's midfield is stacked however, which is unfortunate for him. He probably is underrated or more likely unknown to people in the UK and I who primarily watch the EPL though.

Suggesting Gündogan is overrated, well I can't stop laughing at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Check the post I quoted. And kindly pleasea f.. I dont want to get yellow card but you missing point/posts and posting same **** is so boring.

Edit:

If you think there is nothing wrong with that then..

Oh so you weren't interested in the point then, just the bit about slagging other fans.

Hmmmm.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Arsenal have better defenders than United

Combined defence for me would be

- - - - - - - - De Gea - - - - - -
    Rafael - -Smalling - Kosc/Mert - - Evra/Monreal

I'd probably give the edge to Evra, though I've always liked Monreal. If looking to the future, Kosc and Monreal would certainly be in there then.

Before anyone suggest Gibbs, I've just not taken much notice to him. I've heard and read some Arsenal fans say he's improved, maybe he has, I don't know.

I don't think they do. With the ball retention in midfield they don't get tested nearly as much as most other teams in the league. When they are tested they look shaky.

They also have a far more regular back 4 than United. Vidic and Ferdinand are in and out of the team all the time.
    The Arsenal defence has performed better but I think United have the better defenders if you get what I'm saying.
    All my opinion of course.

I said this yesterday.

Vidic, Ferdinand etc better players across their careers than Arsenal defs but if I had to pick a back line to play a match in the morning, you'd have to go with Arsenal. They've been fantastic for a huge run of games now bar maybe 2-3 costly errors from Kos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

gosplan wrote: »
    Oh so you weren't interested in the point then, just the bit about slagging other fans.

Hmmmm.

You posted twice without making a single point on topic, just about judging ManUtd fans. Pot Kettle Black and all that.

For a record overrated and Underrated is subjective, there is nothing to argue just say who you think is overrated and underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Before anyone suggest Gibbs, I've just not taken much notice to him. I've heard and read some Arsenal fans say he's improved, maybe he has, I don't know.

I'm not getting into what a best four is because that could be done all day and people would never agree on the final outcome but im pretty sure Evans would be in none of them.

But on Gibbs he has improved a lot being injury free for a decent period of time has helped a lot, he is currently keeping Monreal out of the starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

. For example

Kagawa is underrated in the UK and I immensely by people who've seen little to nowt of him before.

Seriously you think Kagawa is underrated?
    He's barely played a decent game for United since he arrived yet lot of United supporters will say he's one of the best players at the club...

I think it's fair to say that based on performances for United he's very much overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd probably give the edge to Evra, though I've always liked Monreal. If looking to the future, Kosc and Monreal would certainly be in there then.

Might I suggest Gibbs :pac:

Seriously though, he's been immense this year. His attacking runs are brilliant considering he's the only player that stays wide left for us due to whoever playing left wing is drifting inside. His defending has been top notch as well, whenever the defence has been at fault it's not him. Possibly the best full back in the Premier League so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Nice to see some Aresnal fans have found their bollocks after a few good results. Welcome back lads.

• Advertisement

I'm not getting into what a best four is because that could be done all day and people would never agree on the final outcome but im pretty sure Evans would be in none of them.

But on Gibbs he has improved a lot being injury free for a decent period of time has helped a lot, he is currently keeping Monreal out of the starting 11.

I'm no real fan of Evans, but I think there is a middle ground to him in this discussion. He did play excellently sometime last season or the season before a decent chunk of games I do vaguely remember. He's still below a few of the CB's from both teams though, yes.

As for Gibbs, I'll keep an eye out for him when Dortmund play you lot ;)
    I imagine Aubameyang will up against him, so it should be some battle. Even if I really dislike Aubame playing as a RWF!

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    You posted twice without making a single point on topic, just about judging ManUtd fans. Pot Kettle Black and all that.

For a record overrated and Underrated is subjective, there is nothing to argue just say who you think is overrated and underrated.

My point is that I was calling you out.

There are better ways to respond than by just attributing false rediculous opinions to fans and bringing Utd's record into it though. That was kind if my point.

But I'll drop it now. Enjoy your Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I like Gibbs but it's hard to look past the fact that he's made of glass.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Nice to see some Aresnal fans have found their bollocks after a few good results. Welcome back lads.

:confused:
    I'm no real fan of Evans, but I think there is a middle ground to him in this discussion. He did play excellently sometime last season or the season before a decent chunk of games I do vaguely remember. He's still below a few of the CB's from both teams though, yes.

As for Gibbs, I'll keep an eye out for him when Dortmund play you lot ;)
    I imagine Aubameyang will up against him, so it should be some battle. Even if I really dislike Aubame playing as a RWF!

Yeh I'm not saying he is terrible I think he is decent a good player to have in your squad but not good enough to be in Arsenal's starting eleven as has been suggested by some.

Yeh should be good games two teams who like to play football I'm nervous and excited at the same time ha.

The second game in Dortmund comes at a very important time in the season for Arsenal imo it will be sandwiched between games against Liverpool and United.

Laughable back 4 tbh. Vidic would be nailed on for a place there.
    How people continually overlook the fact that United players win trophies year after year because they are better players is beyond me

Blatter wrote: »
    I like Gibbs but it's hard to look past the fact that he's made of glass.

He was very true but he seems to have overcome that recently (touch wood) which I think has seen his form improve along with it.

• Advertisement

Seriously you think Kagawa is underrated?
    He's barely played a decent game for United since he arrived yet lot of United supporters will say he's one of the best players at the club...

I think it's fair to say that based on performances for United he's very much overrated.

I'd argue I've watched more of Kagawa than anyone here. I'm well aware of what he is capable of. He is being wasted away at United. By Fergie playing LW and bringing in RVP and Rooney remaining at the club. Majority of EPL fans are clueless to how good he is.

Isn't Moyes on record more or less saying he didn't know much about the player a month or two back? As well as that, Moyes doesn't really play with a CAM.

Zaccheroni is another one who quite simply is an idiot too when it comes to setting up the national side. He doesn't only misuse Shinji but a host of other players, I've ranted about this before.

Klopp is the only one to use him to his fullest and when he did, he was devastating for pretty much his entire time at Dortmund.

He was very true but he seems to have overcome that recently (touch wood) which I think has seen his form improve along with it.

If he can go another few weeks without injury I'll be impressed!

Laughable back 4 tbh. Vidic would be nailed on for a place there.
    How people continually overlook the fact that United players win trophies year after year because they are better players is beyond me

No, it's hardly laughable. I've always rated Smalling. Anyone who has read my Twitter knows how high I'am on Smalling and how he, Rafael and De Gea are the backbone of that United defence for the future IMO. If United are in a period of transition as we are told by some, they should be playing regularly. Two of them do, one doesn't.

Vidic of the past would be in the defence, no question about that. But sure, I should include Rio if that's the case too! Evra wouldn't be a possible question mark as well.

:confused:

Yeh I'm not saying he is terrible I think he is decent a good player to have in your squad but not good enough to be in Arsenal's starting eleven as has been suggested by some.

Yeh should be good games two teams who like to play football I'm nervous and excited at the same time ha.

The second game in Dortmund comes at a very important time in the season for Arsenal imo it will be sandwiched between games against Liverpool and United.

Tbh, if this was even a couple of weeks ago let alone when the draw was made I'd have been quite confident in us getting 4 points. I'm sure you'd be somewhat the same, Arsenal are capable of getting 4 points themselves after all. If you seen my rants lately in the Bundesliga thread, you'll know I have some reservations about the team at present with injuries especially in defence and Weidenfeller inspiring no confidence. I'd be delighted with at least 3 points now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No, it's hardly laughable. I've always rated Smalling. Anyone who has read my Twitter knows how high I'am on Smalling and how he, Rafael and De Gea are the backbone of that United defence for the future IMO. If United are in a period of transition as we are told by some, they should be playing regularly. Two of them do, one doesn't.

Vidic of the past would be in the defence, no question about that. But sure, I should include Rio if that's the case too! Evra wouldn't be a possible question mark at all as well.

Agree. was talking about this with my mates last night. Smalling is class, should be starting now, a much much better player than Jones for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Kompany is another overrated player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Did you see him against united?!

Last season aside, where most City players looked like dirt half the time if not more under Mancini, he's been very good to excellent in pretty much every season for every club he has played for since breaking into the Anderlecht side at the age of 17/18.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He's a beast most of the time but too error prone to be one of the very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

He was my choice for most underrated player on the first page of this thread a couple of years ago. It's only when he started picking up injuries that people realised how valuable he is to that team.

He really is up there with the best in the world in his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

He's a beast most of the time but too error prone to be one of the very best.

And who are some of the best in that position so? Kompany is easily one of the best centre backs at present and with the last few years. He's probably underrated when compared to people like Thiago Silva and Sergio Ramos.

And who are some of the best in that position so? Kompany is easily one of the best centre backs at present and with the last few years. He's probably underrated when compared to people like Thiago Silva and Sergio Ramos.
    Do people really rate Segio Ramos higher than Kompany? Surely not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think it's hard to beat Joe Hart as an over rated player. I wonder if he was the exact same player, but from Angola or somewhere, would he be anywhere near a team like City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Eh, don't think Ibra has had a more illustrious career than Rooney.
    Wouldn't have even thought it was up for debate. He's had a far more illustrious career and if Ibrahimovic was English, he'd probably be considered the best player in the world by the British media.
    Don't mean to rain on anybodies parade, but Francesco Totti has never been underrated by anybody anywhere, everybody already knows he is a legend.
    Agreed. Legend
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I think it's hard to beat Joe Hart as an over rated player. I wonder if he was the exact same player, but from Angola or somewhere, would he be anywhere near a team like City?
    So, so overrated and always was. I remember saying it back when he was on form and I'm glad he's being shown up now, don't like his arrogance for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

GTR63 wrote: »
    Probably my favourite goal of his.

Remember when he got injured in the run-up to the 2006 World Cup which hampered his form at the big event, pity cause he was in some form at the time in a false no.9 role with Mancini & Taddei out wide. He was quality last night aswell, a LOT of players could learn a bit by watching him play.

The man is a footballing genius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I don't think they do. With the ball retention in midfield they don't get tested nearly as much as most other teams in the league. When they are tested they look shaky.

They also have a far more regular back 4 than United. Vidic and Ferdinand are in and out of the team all the time.
    The Arsenal defence has performed better but I think United have the better defenders if you get what I'm saying.
    All my opinion of course.
    TBH Arsenals starting CBs are better than Uniteds best 2 CBs, your kinda just giving excuses as to why Uniteds defence doesnt play aswell.
    Saying that I see huge potential in Smalling and think he could be class

Ibra has had a more illustrious career than Rooney? He's over 4 years older than Rooney, not sure why their careers are being compared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Blatter wrote: »
    Ibra has had a more illustrious career than Rooney? He's over 4 years older than Rooney, not sure why their careers are being compared.
    Ibrahimovic is far from overrated. Fantastic player, been up there with the best of the best for years and has had a far more illustrious career than the likes of Rooney, RVP, Aguero etc. who are regularly regarded as better than him when they are not.

Absolute phenomenon and is so underrated in the British press, it's not right.
    My original post was that he has had a more illustrious career than Rooney etc. but they are held in a higher regard and people seem to shrug off Ibrahimovic's contribution to the titles he won.

He was the driving force behind Juventus and Inter's titles and the reason Milan won the Serie A in his first season. As well as being key for a strong Ajax team at a young age and later winning PSG the title last year.

He's been phenomenal for a decade

Cienciano wrote: »

Harte has always been overrated I think.

He did have one very good season but the media as usual creamed themselves over him. He's also not as bad as some make out but there's a good few keepers in the league at a higher level to him.

City to upgrade in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Do people really rate Segio Ramos higher than Kompany? Surely not

They do and it's hardly an unjustifiable opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They do and it's hardly an unjustifiable opinion.

I know you have some sort of crush on Sergio, maybe it's his hair or maybe it's his shoulders, I don't know.

But he's nowhere near Kompany as a centreback.

Kompany is one of the two best in the world.

Him and Thiago Silva are a distance ahead of the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Do you close your eyes when games are on or something?

He is immense.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I know you have some sort of crush on Sergio, maybe it's his hair or maybe it's his shoulders, I don't know.

But he's nowhere near Kompany as a centreback.

Kompany is one of the two best in the world.

Him and Thiago Silva are a distance ahead of the rest.

I think it might be his World Cup and 2 European Championship medals that gets me going.

I mean he's only Real Madrid and Spain's first choice centre back and occasional captain, a supreme defender with so much ability. He's certainly up there with those two, Infact I'd have him over Kompany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think it might be his World Cup and 2 European Championship medals that gets me going.

Is that your argument for everything? First Pique, now Ramos. Soon you'll be proclaiming Arbeloa as the best right back in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

under rated- rafael...best right back in the world

over rated- daniel sturridge- good start to the season goals wise but other than goals what does he do?

Is that your argument for everything? First Pique, now Ramos. Soon you'll be proclaiming Arbeloa as the best right back in the world.

How about 3 La Liga winner medals, a Copa Del Rey winners medal, twice in the Uefa team of the year, the award for defender of the year in La Liga in 2012 to sweeten the deal?

The entire Barca team is underrated.

The entire Barca team is underrated.

by Andersonisgod :pac:

I mean he's only Real Madrid and Spain's first choice centre back and occasional captain, a supreme defender with so much ability. He's certainly up there with those two, Infact I'd have him over Kompany.

Do I need to roll out the Sebastiano Rossi rebuttal again?

And as said, is Álvaro Arbeloa the best right sided fullback in the world, seeing as his stats are similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I saw Pellegrini fielding questions about Joe Harte on TV, Pellegrini is quoted saying he considered dropping him this weekend. If Joe Harte was from Angola or somewhere as another poster suggested, he would have definitely been dropped and there would've been no questions asked about it. I guess there is a certain amount of pressure on Pellegrini not to drop him, because there is such interest in him from the English media, and Harte will be given every opportunity to regain his form due to the fact that he is England's first choice 'keeper. Shay Given was dropped before his time was up to make room for Harte. City will dump him in the summer I'd imagine.

Underrated player: Roberto Donadoni.

• Advertisement

Lennonist wrote: »
    Underrated player: Roberto Donadoni.

Played for what is, probably, the greatest club side of all time, and was a corner store of the team winning five Serie A titles, three European Cups, three European Super Cups, and two Intercontinental Cups, hardly under rated by anyone who followed European Football in the 80's and 90's...

Do I need to roll out the Sebastiano Rossi rebuttal again?

And as said, is Álvaro Arbeloa the best right sided fullback in the world, seeing as his stats are similar?

Actually I do think Arbeloa is a very good right back who adds height, physicality and a reliable presence at the back for Spain. Though my argument is that Ramos has the accomplishments along with outstanding talent, of that there can be no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Played for what is, probably, the greatest club side of all time, and was a corner store of the team winning five Serie A titles, three European Cups, three European Super Cups, and two Intercontinental Cups, hardly under rated by anyone who followed European Football in the 80's and 90's...

I know.

In that team he was not regarded as one of the star names is what I mean when I say he may have been somewhat underrated.

When people talk of that Milan team, it's Gullit,Van Basten, Riijkard, Baresi, Maldini that they often would speak of first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

keano2012 wrote: »
    under rated- rafael...best right back in the world

He's not even the best in the league, Zabaleta is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

over rated- zidane??

under rated- hening berg

• Advertisement
Advertisement