Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Overrated and Underrated Players Mod warning post # 732

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Johner wrote: »
    He's not even the best in the league, Zabaleta is.

disagree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lennonist wrote: »
    I saw Pellegrini fielding questions about Joe Harte on TV, Pellegrini is quoted saying he considered dropping him this weekend. If Joe Harte was from Angola or somewhere as another poster suggested, he would have definitely been dropped and there would've been no questions asked about it. I guess there is a certain amount of pressure on Pellegrini not to drop him, because there is such interest in him from the English media, and Harte will be given every opportunity to regain his form due to the fact that he is England's first choice 'keeper. Shay Given was dropped before his time was up to make room for Harte. City will dump him in the summer I'd imagine.

Underrated player: Roberto Donadoni.
    Don't know about Given's time not being up, he was terrible for Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

CSF wrote: »
    Don't know about Given's time not being up, he was terrible for Villa.

Whatever about what happened towards the end of his time at Villa - he was good initially - during his time at City I don't recall Given making anything like the same amount of clangers that Joe Harte has made. Harte is probably one of the most overrated 'keepers ever, he is being found out now and wont last at City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I remember Xavi6 saying on here 'given is a good keeper, but hart has the top class concentration that we need if we want to push on' lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Given's shoulder injuries finished him fairly quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

How about 3 La Liga winner medals, a Copa Del Rey winners medal, twice in the Uefa team of the year, the award for defender of the year in La Liga in 2012 to sweeten the deal?
    Oh god, more honours. Defender of the year in La Liga isn't exactly much to write home about is it, especially when two teams in it usually steamroller the rest? I think he's a brilliant player, but not on the level of Kompany, Silva or Chiellini. The red cards for a start.
    Actually I do think Arbeloa is a very good right back who adds height, physicality and a reliable presence at the back for Spain. Though my argument is that Ramos has the accomplishments along with outstanding talent, of that there can be no doubt.

Now I've heard it all, average player at best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lennonist wrote: »
    I know.

In that team he was not regarded as one of the star names is what I mean when I say he may have been somewhat underrated.

When people talk of that Milan team, it's Gullit,Van Basten, Riijkard, Baresi, Maldini that they often would speak of first.

That's fair enough, yeah, you're on the money there.
    Was one of the "lesser lights", was still a vital part of the team though, so maybe you're right about not getting the recognition he deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Actually I do think Arbeloa is a very good right back who adds height, physicality and a reliable presence at the back for Spain. Though my argument is that Ramos has the accomplishments along with outstanding talent, of that there can be no doubt.

His best days are behind him imo, even at his best he was only ever a solid full back, not much to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Oh god, more honours. Defender of the year in La Liga isn't exactly much to write home about is it, especially when two teams in it usually steamroller the rest? I think he's a brilliant player, but not on the level of Kompany, Silva or Chiellini. The red cards for a start.

Now I've heard it all, average player at best.

I'm sorry but why is defender of the year in La Liga not much to write home about? Ramos, Varane, Pepe, Pique, Puyol, Mascherano, Godin, Rami, to name a few off the top of my head are all excellent defenders. Why isn't he on their level? He's been superb since his switch to centre back, a fixture for the biggest club in the world and the most successful national team ever. I'd also say that he was the best centre back at Euro 2012, where him and Pique were top class.

Somebody should tell Carlo Ancelotti and Vicente Del Bosque that their first choice right back is average, somebody should have told Mourinho too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

klose wrote: »
    His best days are behind him imo, even at his best he was only ever a solid full back, not much to write home about.

I'm not making a case for him to be considered the best right back in the world, I'm only arguing that the starting right back for Spain and Real Madrid is above average, that's hardly an outlandish argument to make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I do rate Ramos very high as well, it's a lot closer between him and Kompany than a lot are making out, imo.

I'd probably just opt for Ramos given a choice between the two tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

keano2012 wrote: »
    under rated- rafael...best right back in the world

over rated- daniel sturridge- good start to the season goals wise but other than goals what does he do?

Rafael eh no not even the best right back from Brazil, Alves and Lahm are a country mile ahead of him and Im actually a fan of Rafael

Sturridge is a striker, his job is to get goals, but yeah hes a bit overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

over rated- jack wilshire....a talent yes but think there is way too much hype around him
    over rated- glen johnson...a defender who cant defend
    over rated- flamini...really arsenal fans he is yer savour?!

underrated- mascherano

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Steven Fletcher is underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

764dak wrote: »
    Steven Fletcher is underrated.

Fletcher is a good striker, but he's injured a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

over rated- flamini...really arsenal fans he is yer savour?!

The man's a fighter. Not the greatest footballer but he's what arsenal needed in the squad and he's been superb since he came back. And free. Which is our favourite price tag.
    There's a lot of Man love for flamini at the moment from us arsenal fans, and that's saying something as most were a bit pissed off when talk of us re signing him for nothing emerged, considering how our transfer window had gone up to that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Arsenal fan here. Just from the Arsenal team:
    Overrated: Wilshere
    Underrated: Mertesacker, Giroud

Wilshere is very good, but he isn't the world class saviour of the England side he's often made out to be. He shouldn't be a first choice player at the moment given how good the rest of our midfield options are.

Mert is a hero. The rock at the heart of our defence, too much is made of his lack of pace, which is very rarely actually an issue.

Giroud's buildup play is fantastic, and he does so much work that often goes unmentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just some Totti love, i`d love a gif of this but I can`t find one. This was the starting move to set up Florenzi`s goal last nite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Ramos is quite strange in that he is overrated in Spain, and underrated outside of Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

under rated- rafael...best right back in the world
    Are you for real outrageous comment. Great going forward average defensively.
    zabeleta is the best rb in the prem. Id also prefer ivanovic, coleman, glen johnson and would have rafael on a par with kyle walker and sagna. Then we have the rest of world football to consider. Does he even make the brazil squad?
    If anything I would say rafael is over rated. He had a good season last year and if your a utd fan I get why you would like him as he is a heart on the sleeve type player. People trot out the fact he is so young. He is at utd that long he must be coming up for a testemonial soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Are you for real outrageous comment. Great going forward average defensively.
    zabeleta is the best rb in the prem. Id also prefer ivanovic, coleman, glen johnson and would have rafael on a par with kyle walker and sagna. Then we have the rest of world football to consider. Does he even make the brazil squad?
    If anything I would say rafael is over rated. He had a good season last year and if your a utd fan I get why you would like him as he is a heart on the sleeve type player. People trot out the fact he is so young. He is at utd that long he must be coming up for a testemonial soon.

Sagna is better than Walker, Zab and Ivanovic are both very good but I'd have Rafael ahead of Walker Johnson and Coleman definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

darced wrote: »
    There really is not a lot separating those players they are all very good and have some faults.

I'd have to say Zabaleta is number one myself though, he's never lacking effort and he's a fantastic defender and tackler, and he's good going forward too, Ivanovic is a bigger goal threat from corners though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I remember Xavi6 saying on here 'given is a good keeper, but hart has the top class concentration that we need if we want to push on' lol

And what happened when Hart was made first choice? City won the league, had the best defence two years running, and he won back to back Golden Glove awards.

So, what exactly was wrong with that comment, if I did indeed say it, considering City DID push on after the change?

Typical drooling out of you but no surprise tbh. You're a perfect example of the why this forum is so sh*te these days. All about cheap point scoring in place of proper discussion. Sad really, especially when you're easily proven wrong :o

Stick to straightening your hair and painting your jeans on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

How about 3 La Liga winner medals, a Copa Del Rey winners medal, twice in the Uefa team of the year, the award for defender of the year in La Liga in 2012 to sweeten the deal?
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    And what happened when Hart was made first choice? City won the league, had the best defence two years running, and he won back to back Golden Glove awards.

So, what exactly was wrong with that comment, if I did indeed say it, considering City DID push on after the change?

Typical drooling out of you but no surprise tbh. You're a perfect example of the why this forum is so sh*te these days. All about cheap point scoring in place of proper discussion. Sad really, especially when you're easily proven wrong :o

Stick to straightening your hair and painting your jeans on :)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Seaneh wrote: »
    Played for what is, probably, the greatest club side of all time, and was a corner store of the team winning five Serie A titles, three European Cups, three European Super Cups, and two Intercontinental Cups, hardly under rated by anyone who followed European Football in the 80's and 90's...

(Grabs Seaneh by the shirt)
    But how many UEFA team of the year was he in Seaneh.
    How MANY?
    Btw Bonner should of done a better job with his shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think it's hard to beat Joe Hart as an over rated player. I wonder if he was the exact same player, but from Angola or somewhere, would he be anywhere near a team like City?

I always thought he was massivly over rated, off the top of my head

Over rated -
    Rooney
    Vidic
    Ashley cole
    Jack wilkshire
    Agger
    Lennon
    Milner
    Young

Under rated
    Coutinho
    Diame
    Pilkington
    Baines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

over rated- jack wilshire....a talent yes but think there is way too much hype around him

I love Jack Wilshere as a player, and he has great potential.
    His name and reputation sky-rocketed after the match against Barcelona in the Emirates when they won 2-1.
    Not long after he got injured, but everyone still talked him up throughout all the injuries and time out.

Busquets is underrated. I hate his antics sometimes, but there is no denying his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

As an Arsenal fan I will say Wilshere is over rated but any English player with massive potential always is by there own media.

Before his injuries Wilshere was immense this season has shown glimpses of it and at only 21 it will come back to him and I've no doubt he will be one of the best in the EPL but as of right now yes he is overrated.

As much as he is overrated he is also currently coming in for way to much flak from oppossing fans, Arsenal fans and the media like in yesterdays game against West Brom were Gibbs was far worse and offered Wilshere no support in attack or defence but I suppose that goes with the territory off being England's big hope they love to build you up and knock you back down again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

These comparative arguments are always so intractable.

'Ramos is amazing, look at all his medals!!'

'No, they don't count, look at how Kompany plays in the premiership!!'

The only thing I have to add is that the word 'average' should be prohibited from this forum. An average footballer and Spain's RB are very different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

shamrock55 wrote: »

Over rated -
    Rooney
    Vidic
    Ashley cole
    Jack wilkshire
    Agger
    Lennon
    Milner
    Young

Under rated
    Coutinho
    Diame
    Pilkington
    Baines

One of the only players on that list that could be considered genuine world class talent and one of the best in his position for a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I still think Cashly is in the top 3 LB's in the world.

justshane wrote: »
    I still think Cashly is in the top 3 LB's in the world.

Given his age hes declined a bit in the last 12months but hes still an excellent FB, himself, Baines and Evra are not to far off I reckon and on there day, anyone of the 3 can be described as best in the league.

shamrock55 wrote: »

Over rated -
    Rooney
    Jack wilkshire
    Agger
    Lennon
    Milner
    Young
    Coutinho

Under rated
    Vidic
    Ashley cole
    Diame
    Pilkington
    Baines

maybe you meant to write like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Given his age hes declined a bit in the last 12months but hes still an excellent FB, himself, Baines and Evra are not to far off I reckon and on there day, anyone of the 3 can be described as best in the league.

Baines is much, much better going forward though. He has end product. Both Cole and Evra flatter to deceive hugely when they go forward....they always have. Make quick bursting runs but then give the ball away more often than not either by running down a blind alley, dribbling into a man or over hitting a pass/cross.

Baines is definitely the one I'd take at the moment. Everton have the best attacking fullbacks in the league as both Baines and Coleman are consistently dangerous going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Overrated:
    Adnan Januzaj

Close Thread

He's a young kid who has consistently shown a lot of talent and ability over the last six months whenever he plays.

I don't think anyone is overrating him to be honest. He looks a very promising player.

rob316 wrote: »
    Overrated:
    Adnan Januzaj

Close Thread

Hes a talented youngster thats for sure and he got a good brace at the weekend but I dont think you can judge him either way just yet.

It reminds me a bit of Sterling from last year who was hugely hyped up after a string of good displays.

Give both time and then ya can judge.

Come on lads its a joke.

Early days but he looks a talent alrite.

• Advertisement

Come on lads its a joke.

Early days but he looks a talent alrite.

Than you need the pacman smiley! That's what he's there for! Lying in wait for the chance to strike........:pac::pac::pac:

Kirby wrote: »
    Than you need the pacman smiley! That's what he's there for! Lying in wait for the chance to strike........:pac::pac::pac:

Ah its more fun getting a rise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ah its more fun getting a rise trolling :D
    :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

He's a beast most of the time but too error prone to be one of the very best.

The error prone remark gets thrown around a lot, but in fact every CB makes errors. Whether they are punished for their errors is another question. Same goes for most goalies

I've seen Thiago Silva make mistakes in the past, he just wasn't punished. Having a decent quality goalkeeper behind you, ditto a strong backline with a very good defensive midfielder helps. That's not taking away from Silva overall, he still the best CB around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    That's not taking away from Silva overall, he still the best CB around.
    I can't say I've ever really paid much attention to him to be perfectly honest, but can you explain why you think that.

Not disputing you by the way, just curious how you came to that conclusion.

I'd echo that. Everybody talks about him being exceptional and he has this reputation but every time I've seen him play, he's been remarkably average. With PSG and Brazil, he's in a team with a lot of the ball so it can be hard for a CB to stand out but even at that, he's looked a bit shakey when I've seen him play.

i like silva- think he is no 1 defender in the world. His match against barca in the champions league last season was unreal. He's a real threat from corners too.

Over rated- Busquets
    Over Rated- David Seaman

Under Rated- Brad Friedel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why are so many people unable to spell Hart?

Its actually less letters then Harte, its written on the back of his jersey and as he is English he gets shown an awful lot on tv with the little caption coming up with his name and how to spell it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

kryogen wrote: »
    Why are so many people unable to spell Hart?

Its actually less letters then Harte, its written on the back of his jersey and as he is English he gets shown an awful lot on tv with the little caption coming up with his name and how to spell it!

Ironically, most people cannot spell Cleverely either.

• Advertisement

i like silva- think he is no 1 defender in the world. His match against barca in the champions league last season was unreal. He's a real threat from corners too.

Over rated- Busquets
    Over Rated- David Seaman

Under Rated- Brad Friedel

I'd say Busquets is fairly underrated! Antics aside an excellent footballer.

Advertisement