Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you quieten a sky+ box?

• 09-04-2011 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

I have an old sky+ box in my conservatory that i use for fta channels and have no sub for the recording feature.

The noise of the box annoys me just wondering can you disconnect the fan on it as the hard disk is not of any use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

is it just the fan or is the hard drive spinning up?

if its the drive you could open the box and disconnect the power connector to the drive.

I wouldn't touch the fan as it would affect the cooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

The main source of heat is the disk anyway. So if the disk is powered off you would probably get away fine with no fan.

Some of those old Sky boxes, depending on the s/w build, won't start at all if the disk is dead.

But it's worth an experiment: disconnect from mains (those internal power supplies can give you quite a nasty jolt :-) ), open up, disconnect power from HDD, power up and see what happens ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

If it's a Thomson Digibox I would leave well alone, unless you've upgraded the Power Supply. They are notorious for failing. If the temperature in the conservatory gets much above 20'C I would leave well alone, otherwise you'll reduce the working life of the Digibox.

Otherwise, go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Quick Question.

My brother has a standard sky box for his connection at home. However he would like to get sky plus. Is it just a matter of buying a Sky Plus box and connecting it up or do you need to inform sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

AthAnRi wrote: »
    Quick Question.

My brother has a standard sky box for his connection at home. However he would like to get sky plus. Is it just a matter of buying a Sky Plus box and connecting it up or do you need to inform sky?

Connect a second cable to it to make use of full functionality,you have to ring Sky to pair the card with the box also otherwise recording and premium channels won't work.
    Ring Sky anyway and see if he's entitled to any deals regarding getting a new box from them-it works more often than not.(threaten to cancel and they'll give you one;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I'd just unplug it. :D

Advertisement