Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming nutrition

Options
  • 10-04-2011 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

I have to do a short swimming test as part of a test for a job in the leisure industry. Am training whenever I can but want to be in best condition possible any foods i should be eating leading up to the test or even on the day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭tomombo

anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whats the test?
    There aren't really any foods that are going to have an effect on swimming in paticular.

Mellor wrote: »
    Whats the test?
    There aren't really any foods that are going to have an effect on swimming in paticular.

A sprint test for a job with other lifesaving elements sprint most important.

I have no idea how to go about this from a nutrition point of view. you see every second counts for the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

If every second counts, then surely physical fitness should be your main priority. Then worry about what nutrition youll need to recover from your workouts.

gymsoldier wrote: »
    If every second counts, then surely physical fitness should be your main priority. Then worry about what nutrition youll need to recover from your workouts.

Which is??

• Advertisement

tomombo wrote: »
    Which is??

Which is what?... The best way to get fit, or what is a good diet?

What sector of the leisusre industry are you going to be involved in, if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nutrition isn't going to be an big issue really.
    By sprint I imagine you mean 25-100m. Power, technique and fitness are going to be the factors. Obviously have a good balanced meal, energy drink. But they aren't going to take seconds off your time.

Look at it like running, running a marathon (more so an ultra), you need to really consider nutrition, re-filling on the way etc. 100m sprint is more about pure strength power.

Is it for something like a lifeguard job.
    Assuming its soon enough, I doubt there is much you can do to take considerable time off. Either you are a good swimer now or not

Mellor wrote: »
    Nutrition isn't going to be an big issue really.
    By sprint I imagine you mean 25-100m. Power, technique and fitness are going to be the factors. Obviously have a good balanced meal, energy drink. But they aren't going to take seconds off your time.

Look at it like running, running a marathon (more so an ultra), you need to really consider nutrition, re-filling on the way etc. 100m sprint is more about pure strength power.

Is it for something like a lifeguard job.
    Assuming its soon enough, I doubt there is much you can do to take considerable time off. Either you are a good swimer now or not

Well thanks for the moral support (not).

Maybe I should just give up so?

I rely on this job to pay for college and moving away next year im screwed if I dont get it thanks for the added negativity now im deffo not getting it.

THANKS A DUCKING LOT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭KH25

I rely on this job to pay for college and moving away next year im screwed if I dont get it thanks for the added negativity now im deffo not getting it.

THANKS A DUCKING LOT

He's right though. There's nothing you can eat that's going to all of a sudden improve your swimming. Speed pretty much comes down to strength built up by training. Certain foods would obviously help you recover after training and give you more energy but they won't improve your actual swimming ability.

That said, I work in the leisure industry myself and most swimming tests I've done or seen don't have crazy requirements or times that you have to achieve. Check out the Irish Water Safety site, they should have their assessment criteria there somewhere. Your job might have their own requirements but the IWS ones would be a good guideline.

THANKS A DUCKING LOT

Well if thats your attitude before youve even started, then why bother? Youre in such a negative mind frame about it already, and then to start basicly blaming everyone else for your possible failures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

THANKS A DUCKING LOT

No need for the attitude. Tomombo infracted for breach of the peace.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Well if thats your attitude before youve even started, then why bother? Youre in such a negative mind frame about it already, and then to start basicly blaming everyone else for your possible failures.

If you have a problem with the post, please report it and do not respond to it. He's beem infracted, please leave it there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

No need for the attitude. Tomombo infracted for breach of the peace.

what the hell does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I'm sure that one of the 9 other usernames that share the same IP as you will know what it means so ummmm yeah - BANNED.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

stop beiong so blobby tksnackz

Edit: user banned for 7 days

I'm sure that one of the 9 other usernames that share the same IP as you will know what it means so ummmm yeah - BANNED.

Did any other of his "aliases" post on the Health & Fitness forum?

Advertisement