Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships rip Off Warning!

• 10-04-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

got information today that the cost of a 3x3metre stand for traders on the Quay during the Tall Ships is ,wait for it, e2,500! -1800 plus vat.

So to make a profit or even take a chance on setting up a stall, traders are going to have to charge big prices. Be prepared. it'll be no use ringing Billy MacCarthy complaining you had to 7 euro for a burger after the event. You should be having a chat with Des Whelan & co who are forcing these people to up their prices just to cover costs.

And these prices will not be forgotten by visitors. They will remember and spread the word how Expensive Waterford is and won't be coming back.

It's just the same mistake as the last government made. make hay while the sun shine and to hell with the future.

Waterford will pay a big price for this. Mark my words.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

waterford sucks ass...the tourist will go there and you'll get their money and then we will have some foreignor on complaining about rip off ireland and all because waterford is such a skank hole

no one is every to bothered about complaining about paris because you might see something nice...no one every complains about mayo either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I hope the tall ships never come back, lot of businesses being shown up for what they really are. And by the way, the last talll ships was as big an event as a sunny day in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

feck, i had to read that twice to make sure i saw €2500. I only noticed today too that they covered the Ard Ri Hotel with some white boarding, what a bloody eyesore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i say dlofneb wishes the whole building was associated to horse stables so his poor dog could go for a walk around bolockys feilds once more in peace :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭aziz

Yeah i remember the last tall ships i got charged 9 euro for two plain burgers for my daughters from a chip van on Georges st and they were absolutely vile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Godsentme wrote: »
    got information today that the cost of a 3x3metre stand for traders on the Quay during the Tall Ships is ,wait for it, e2,500! -1800 plus vat.

So to make a profit or even take a chance on setting up a stall, traders are going to have to charge big prices. Be prepared. it'll be no use ringing Billy MacCarthy complaining you had to 7 euro for a burger after the event. You should be having a chat with Des Whelan & co who are forcing these people to up their prices just to cover costs.

And these prices will not be forgotten by visitors. They will remember and spread the word how Expensive Waterford is and won't be coming back.

It's just the same mistake as the last government made. make hay while the sun shine and to hell with the future.

Waterford will pay a big price for this. Mark my words.

Someone I know was telling me how she received a letter from the organisers to see if she'd take a stall but she was horrified at the costs involved so turned it down. Pure extortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Can anyone give equivalent prices for something like Oxygen, Electric Picnic, or other event?
    I hope the tall ships never come back, lot of businesses being shown up for what they really are. And by the way, the last talll ships was as big an event as a sunny day in the park.

Why the bah humbug? I don't think we could have gotten 250,000 to visit the park last time. I had some visitors down for it and they were all very impressed (a bit too impressed of the Uruguayan sailors in their immaculate uniforms for my liking).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

Bowlardo wrote: »
    waterford sucks ass...the tourist will go there and you'll get their money and then we will have some foreignor on complaining about rip off ireland and all because waterford is such a skank hole

no one is every to bothered about complaining about paris because you might see something nice...no one every complains about mayo either

Good god... :eek: The last tall ships apparently brought almost half a million people to the city - I was one of them. Everyone I spoke to (our Finnish gang as well as some others) had a super time! Plus we're going back this year. And of course we understood that Waterford was in many ways more expensive than it normally is, but that happens everywhere during big events (including Turku in Finland, where the Tall Ships will also be this year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It must be understood that there is no recession for a significant minority in this country. They will flock to the festival and spend as if it is still the Celtic Tiger period.

Organisers know this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot. Here is the perfect opportunity to promote Waterford and what do the hotels etc do? Jack up prices to extortionate rates. Greedy bastards the lot of them. They will suffer in the long term and well deserved but sadly so will the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Does anyone have a link??

Saw the prices for hotel rooms for the event, shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Some traders do not want to rip off potential customers so are not bothering to get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Even if venders were charged €1 for the weekend, they'd still be charging extortionate prices for food etc. I find it a bit rich that you have the attitude that traders should be allowed just wade in and have access to 500,000 people before heading back to wherever they came from with their profit.

Every comparable large event in the world is the same, be it a music festival, sporting event etc. Those visiting Waterford will be under no illusions either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I do think we need to be vigilant, not to deter tourists from coming back. I would be annoyed if pubs and restaurants increased their prices just for one weekend, but I don't think that will happen. I think it would be fairly normal though if they cancelled their early bird menus for the weekend.

Regarding the hotels, Waterford has the cheapest in the country. They hotels publish a maximum price they charge, and can not exceed it. What is happening is they aren't giving their usual discounts. This is normal for a big event. They can't be expected to charge off-peak rates.
    AdMMM wrote: »
    Even if venders were charged €1 for the weekend, they'd still be charging extortionate prices for food etc. I find it a bit rich that you have the attitude that traders should be allowed just wade in and have access to 500,000 people before heading back to wherever they came from with their profit.

Every comparable large event in the world is the same, be it a music festival, sporting event etc. Those visiting Waterford will be under no illusions either.

I think that's a fair point. But if the charge is too high it might mean only a few burger van will bother go. Anyway, I think these are only an issue on the north quay. I'd be very annoyed if Supermac jacked up their price to €5 a burger, but they won't do that. At a music festival you are trapped in the place, in Waterford you can get a burger in lots of places.

Also, its basically a free event for people. There is no cover charge to see the boats or hear the music. There might be some profiteering, and we should be vigilant. But we shouldn't scare people from coming. Judging by the last tall ships, it is good value for visitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dayshah wrote: »
    Also, its basically a free event for people. There is no cover charge to see the boats or hear the music. .

That's good. There was a charge to enter the docks in Cork last time, Sunday was free for a few hours ~ ran just like the Ford Week in Crosshaven with the festival village an all.

Free in, is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Some craic if no one showed up.

Are all the hotels booked up already?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Half a million potential customers for 2,500 euro sounds fairly reasonable.

some of ye must be fairly dull people if ye are serious about hoping the Tall Ships isn´t a success & never come back .... about to be banned, Were you actually at the last tall ships?????

it was a Brilliant festival & a HUGE Success!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Increased prices during any Tall Ships festival is nothing new. I sailed in the 2008 race and paid £9 for a burger and chips from a stand in Liverpool, and the same price for a flat pint of lager in Norway. And there were over 3,000 crew members on nearly 100 different ships who were more than happy to pay those kind of rates considering the welcome we received from all the different hosts. And as somebody who experienced it 'from the other side', you just cannot underestimate how big of an international event this is for the city.

If anyone wants to knock the event let them do that. They can sit at home at their computers complaining about the Music Fest, the nightclub scene and everything else that's wrong with Waterford. But there'll be 250,000 people from around the south-east doing their best in welcoming the other 250,000 people from around the world to our city, and ensuring this is an event we can really be proud of.

But how some people can say an overpriced advertising stand is bad for Waterford business when the event will already generate €30 million to the local economy is just beyond comprehension.

I love any event that brings people to waterford, what I don't like is bands thinking they can charge more for the nights of the tall ships....hotels doubling and trebling their prices...bars and restaurants etc upping their prices. It's a disgraceful practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Daysha wrote: »
    Increased prices during any Tall Ships festival is nothing new. I sailed in the 2008 race and paid £9 for a burger and chips from a stand in Liverpool, and the same price for a flat pint of lager in Norway. And there were over 3,000 crew members on nearly 100 different ships who were more than happy to pay those kind of rates considering the welcome we received from all the different hosts. And as somebody who experienced it 'from the other side', you just cannot underestimate how big of an international event this is for the city.

If anyone wants to knock the event let them do that. They can sit at home at their computers complaining about the Music Fest, the nightclub scene and everything else that's wrong with Waterford. But there'll be 250,000 people from around the south-east doing their best in welcoming the other 250,000 people from around the world to our city, and ensuring this is an event we can really be proud of.

But how some people can say an overpriced advertising stand is bad for Waterford business when the event will already generate €30 million to the local economy is just beyond comprehension.

Wow. You read my mind. The cribbin and cryin on this forum is nothin but astounding!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

can not believe the whining and complaining some people are doing about the tall ships when 99% of people think it is fantastic. Reminds me of bar-stool talk, ''blah blah blah nothing to do, i hate everything'', (yet all most of these people do is sit on their Ar$e doing nothing but complain). Free concerts to great bands, free music, big crowds, good atomsphere, food, beer, street acts, awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I probably wont bother going down to it so I'm not to pushed about what they charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I love any event that brings people to waterford, what I don't like is bands thinking they can charge more for the nights of the tall ships....hotels doubling and trebling their prices...bars and restaurants etc upping their prices. It's a disgraceful practice.

You love any event that brings people to Waterford yet you hope the event that brings the most people to Waterford in our lifetime never comes back.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You can still get the travel lodge for €149 for a room only! Following week, €58 per night.
    Room Summary
    Room Room Cost Extras Total
    1: Double Room Plus Non Smoking €149.00 €0 €149.00
    Total Cost €149.00

A friend has a B&B 3 mins outside the city, had a few enquiries, kept the prices at the normal rate and still has 3 rooms that week end. She's full for the following weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Although €2.5 is a bit much for such a small stall, and the hotels are trying to make hay, they are the one's that will be detrimental to the numbers coming to the tall ships. The hotels should be happy with filling every room at a slightly higher rate to be expected and filling their restaraunts. but the sorta greedy money grabbin their at now is exactly why people will make a note NOT to stay with them again.

Althogh I know a Stand in Oxegen or EP ranges for 4k to 10k depending where you are etc with an attendance of under 100k. 2.5k doesnt sound too bad for half a million. but 1k would be easier to swallow.

As for all the haters on the tall ships, Why bother? Why try and put down the biggest event your city/region has possibly ever had. If you have a problem dont go and with any luck you wont be missed.

Roll on the tall ships its a free event, If im skint at the time, il be there sandwich's n all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

A rate of 2500 for 3days equates to an annual rate of 300,000 abouts even the greedy hotels don't pay that much for rates
    ,and no guarantee on numbers either last time the sailtubs were ere there was no massive recession happening
    ,most normal people have more on their minds than havin the hastle of getting into pedestrianised town from rip off park n riders and walking aimlessly round lopking @ sailtubs....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The worst thing about this forum is that foreigners can log on and read what the locals have to say. It's very dueling banjos on here sometimes...

Daysha wrote: »
    You love any event that brings people to Waterford yet you hope the event that brings the most people to Waterford in our lifetime never comes back.

:rolleyes:

I hate that fcuking smiley. The height of smarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

I am a fiercely proud Waterford man and it really breaks my heart that whenever anything good is set to come here i.e the music festival/tall ships/ new nightclubs etc. the people are straight away off to put it down. Its this kind of negativity that gives Waterford a bad image.

Imagine, someone thinking about visiting the tall ships race or any thing here for example, decides to check out the forums on boards and all they can see is 'Waterford is a kip' 'tall ships race is expensive and boring' 'the foundry is full of scumbags and children', what kind of city are we portraying?

the tall ships event is a much bigger event then oxegen and electric picnic put together therefore stands can be expected to be sky high, but i dont think paying 6 euro for a burger is going to make people say' jesus im never visiting waterford again, sure i can get a burger for 4 euro in dublin'. Cop on folks and be proud of our county! Spread the good word! Music Fest, Tall Ships, Spraoi, Food Festivals, Bluegrass Festival among so many others. Waterford has so much to offer, and i for one a damn proud to be from here!

• Advertisement

merlante wrote: »
    The worst thing about this forum is that foreigners can log on and read what the locals have to say. It's very dueling banjos on here sometimes...

yeah Im sure foreigners are queuing up to read the waterford forum...where opinions are no longer allowed unless they contain happy thoughts and rainbows.

I'm done with this forum.

Advertisement