Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships rip Off Warning!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

its business sense imo

And that's your opinion, which your entitled to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

For what businesses?
    Food n beverage,
    what about the negative effect on. The others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

For what businesses?
    Food n beverage,
    what about the negative effect on. The others

Which others?

Like clothes and electrical shops? Who are the customers of theses shops? Do they include people who work in bars/restaurants and who ill have a bit more money to spend in other shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What do people not understand about supply and demand? Jesus fook

Gougers do what gougers do. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.If traders and Councils want to live by the law of Supply and demand then they know what to expect when it goes quiet.

So if you had a job that earned you 500 a week and your boss said he was giving you a pay decrease of 300 because he knows you can survive on 200 a week, you'd be alright with that?

• Advertisement

Lads....its simple....

Make the burgers and the rolls and home, and bring em into town with ye.

Na i prefer to pay through the nose for a buger just so i can b1tch on boards about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

It's just about the rising prices.
    I assume you're living here so you won't be affected by the high prices of the hotels, so why are you so upset about it? And you don't have to buy any of the over-priced food either if you don't want to. All the entertainment is FREE during Tall Ships weekend so just enjoy it and stop being so miserable.

The national and international coverage this event receives will be about how great it was and not about over-priced burgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

im from cork, i went the last time and i thoroughly enjoyed it. great to have so many different nationalities in one place. i camped in tramore and drove to waterford. i WILL be going back this year

I assume you're living here so you won't be affected by the high prices of the hotels, so why are you so upset about it? And you don't have to buy any of the over-priced food either if you don't want to. All the entertainment is FREE during Tall Ships weekend so just enjoy it and stop being so miserable.

The national and international coverage this event receives will be about how great it was and not about over-priced burgers.

Just because I'm from here doesn't mean I can't be annoyed about the practice of jamming up prices for 3 days to exploit not only the visitors, but also the locals who will also be enjoying the festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Funny old thread this is...

1. €2,500 for a stand with a daily footfall of 100,000 per day seems reasonable to me..about €900 per day give or take
    2a. Have any of the stall holders advertised their prices yet or are we just assuming that it will be €7 for a burger.
    2b. I'm not loaded. Recession or not, I paid €5 for a sausage blaa in Galway last year at the international power boat thingie and drove 80 miles out of my way to see what was going on, soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the sun and see the boats.
    3. €2,500 I think will ensure that there will be a certain quality of vendor available to consumers. i.e. no fly by night merchants just in for a quick buck.
    4. I hear the same thing over and over again that Waterford has nothing to offer/see. This is probably in the top 10 events in Ireland this year and top 5 organised/co-organised by a city council.
    5. Its an international event. They don't happen every week and they don't happen without hard work. Credit where its due.
    6. I don't know any of the organisers but it looks top drawer compared to any event. They seem extremely professional and any ones prime motivation will be for the betterment of Waterford and not for any personal gain.
    7. Waterford will benefit from this. There's been shop closures left right and centre in the middle of town in recent weeks. If this festival gives an injection of cash to any of the remaining businesses in town and save one or two jobs that would otherwise be unsafe, they can charge a €10 a burger for all I care. (Obviously I do care but you know what I mean)

• Advertisement

Just because I'm from here doesn't mean I can't be annoyed about the practice of jamming up prices for 3 days to exploit not only the visitors, but also the locals who will also be enjoying the festival.
    Fair enough, I actually think the hotels upped their prices too much, but I don't really mind - if people are willing to pay those prices then who cares.
    This is probably in the top 10 events in Ireland this year and top 5 organised/co-organised by a city council.
    It will be the biggest event on the island of Ireland this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I thought your issue was to do with bands jamming up their prices for this weekend and directly affecting your pocket? Tell said bands to fck off imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

blobbyblob wrote: »
    Funny old thread this is...
    2b. I'm not loaded. Recession or not, I paid €5 for a sausage blaa in Galway last year at the international power boat thingie and drove 80 miles out of my way to see what was going on, soak up the atmosphere, enjoy the sun and see the boats.
    (Obviously I do care but you know what I mean)

That's a fair price :D I'm sure they were baked fresh in Waterford that morning ;) I did see a fella ask for a blaa at a service station in Wales once :) Don't know who was more confused in the end, him or the poor girl behind the counter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is it really? If so it'll be even a bigger event next year when it's in Dublin.

tonc76 wrote: »
    I thought your issue was to do with bands jamming up their prices for this weekend and directly affecting your pocket? Tell said bands to fck off imo.

Not just bands (and it's not all of them to be fair)

I just have an issue with overly taking advantage of such events. Remember in the simpsons when the film studio came to shoot that nucleur guy and the residents jacked up all their prices and the film studio upped and left. Well the simpsons knows what it's talking about ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

So if you had a job that earned you 500 a week and your boss said he was giving you a pay decrease of 300 because he knows you can survive on 200 a week, you'd be alright with that?
    no but what can you do say no and you have no job

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but An Taoiseach Enda Kenny will be officially opening the Tall Ships festival.
    That's what the organisers are claiming anyway, and I can't think of a bigger festival (in terms of the number of people at it).

Possibly.

In Waterford the ships come right into the city centre. It makes for a much better event.

For example, people can watch the ships and then get a burger from McDonalds, not to be ripped off :D

Also we are making it into a proper festival with live music etc. We are going all out on this. Will Dublin make the same effort?

Will be interesting to see how the crowds are managed in Bolton street..some top quality acts playing there. Waterboys being one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I remember reading after the last Tall Ships event that the manager or bar manager in the Tower Hotel said they were sold 1000 covers a day from the bar food at an average of €10 a cover, thats a fair chunk of money for a 4 day evening on just food, so add drinks etc into it and you've made a killing.

Granted that €1.8k ex VAT is a big chunk of change for a booth but you do have a guaranteed customer base and its not just for a few hours, its for 4 whole days.. so from about late morning until late evening, covering say a conservative 10 hours x 4 days is 40 hours is €45 an hour excl VAT.

If you're serving food/hot drinks you could fairly easily cover that but someone selling any other type of goods might struggle, so I dont see why they dont have a range of prices for different types of stands.

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Moot point and not sure what you based this on but surely the St. Patricks festival at 1 million visitors to Dublin would surpass the tall ships.

Not just bands (and it's not all of them to be fair)

The pubs are going to be mobbed and raking in the cash. I don't see why its unfair that the bands get a piece of the action.

Should the pubs be the only ones to gain from this?

next wrote: »
    no but what can you do say no and you have no job

Great argument

dayshah wrote: »
    The pubs are going to be mobbed and raking in the cash. I don't see why its unfair that the bands get a piece of the action.

Should the pubs be the only ones to gain from this?

Every weekend in this city, especially Friday nights, bands play in pubs that are not even a quarter full. Venues such as the Kazbar, front lounge, three Shippes and more don't pay the bands any less because there's no crowd...do you think it's fair then that when there is a crowd the bands can suddenly ask for more?

Every weekend in this city, especially Friday nights, bands play in pubs that are not even a quarter full. Venues such as the Kazbar, front lounge, three Shippes and more don't pay the bands any less because there's no crowd...do you think it's fair then that when there is a crowd the bands can suddenly ask for more?

Yes.

Do you think its fair that the pubs keep all the windfall for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

What has that got to do with anything?

The race seems to be ending in Dublin (according to one site, only stopping in Dublin according to another), whereas it is starting in Waterford. The festival at the start of the race is a big affair -- not sure if the festival at race end is as big a deal. Not at all as big a deal for cities that are stop off points.

What I find amazing, from official sites such as http://www.dublinonice.ie/Press/PressReleases/pressreleasesmarch2011/Pages/DublinBids‘Ahoy’asTallShipsRaceintotheBayinAugust2012.aspx
    is that there is no mention of Waterford whatsoever, only that Dublin last had a visit from the Tall ships in 1998! Nothing about the fact that Waterford hosted/will host the (start of) the Tall ships race twice in 2005 and 2011. Aren't we all on the same side here?

Have to say that the Tall Ships was publicised very poorly in Dublin in 2005. There was no impression of the scale of the event, and the international dimension. It was seen as the equivalent of some 'minor regional event' like Spraoi. I can't help but feel that we either don't have a joined up tourism strategy in this country or that there is politics at play.

dayshah wrote: »
    Yes.

Do you think its fair that the pubs keep all the windfall for themselves?

I'll tell ya...venues in Waterford would only be too happy to pay bands according to crowd size.

Dayshah, to be honest if I said it was sunny today you'd argue that's lashing.

I'll tell ya...venues in Waterford would only be too happy to pay bands according to crowd size.

:rolleyes: This from the guy who hopes the tall ships never come back.

Do bands get paid a different rate for midweek gig compared to weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

And you'd probably think the sun was bad for the city ;)

• Advertisement

Jaysus it's a tag team.

Advertisement