Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships rip Off Warning!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Jaysus it's a tag team.

Are bands paid a different rate for Saturdays versus off-peak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Nope, 2 hours live music is the same pretty much whatever night you book them. And that's understandable...pulling and dragging to and from the gig and 2 hours of solid entertainment.

Same for a DJ who expects to get more money on new year's eve when the same venue gives him a job every week, busy or not.

You have your opinion, I have mine. You just don't seem like people having different opinions to yourself.

Nope, 2 hours live music is the same pretty much whatever night you book them. And that's understandable...pulling and dragging to and from the gig and 2 hours of solid entertainment.

Same for a DJ who expects to get more money on new year's eve when the same venue gives him a job every week, busy or not.

You have your opinion, I have mine. You just don't seem like people having different opinions to yourself.

Being annoyed about bands is one thing. The bah humbug , never want the ships to come back, attitude is another.

You see you're just taking one thing that I said and running with it. Essentially there is just one thing, I don't like people being ripped off.

The comment about the tall ships not coming back, I repeat, was a stupid drunken comment. But you're gonna keep on hitting me with it cause you really want to win this argument and that's all you have to hit me with.

Me on the other hand, am not holier than thou, or looking for an argument, I'm just expressing an opinion. I do find the attack of the Dayshas quite amusing though, so keep it up!

I'd nearly bet my life on the fact that I've done more for this city than all the people that are making me a convenient scapegoat here.
    Me on the other hand, am not holier than thou, or looking for an argument, I'm just expressing an opinion.

My heart bleeds for you :rolleyes:

Anyway, enough of this. I'm just looking forward to a great event. Enjoy counting the pennies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

blobbyblob wrote: »
    Moot point and not sure what you based this on but surely the St. Patricks festival at 1 million visitors to Dublin would surpass the tall ships.
    That was what was claimed by the Tall Ships organisers, I was merely repeating it in this thread just to remind people the scale of this event. Their "biggest event" claim could be based on something other than the number of people attending - every day there will be major outdoor concerts, street theatre, markets, and fireworks displays.

dayshah wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for you :rolleyes:

Anyway, enough of this. I'm just looking forward to a great event. Enjoy counting the pennies.

You really like that smiley don't ya? Do you make it a lot in real life?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Right guys, abouttobebanned and dayshah, you are both 2 very good posters here on boards, and especially in the Waterford forum, can you both just let it go now, agree to disagree as they say and we can get this thread back on topic. It would be a shame to see either or both of ye taking a holiday from here for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Edit: (Snip) Aquos got in there before me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Lol
    Wlr news today, park n ride. Planning at advanced stage for the expected 80000
    Visitors to the tallshipps
    Where did this 500k figure come from

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/documents/notices/index.htm

Event Licence - Tall Ships Race 2011 - EL 02/11

It is proposed to hold the event in Waterford City Centre, in particular the Port area around the North Quay, South Quay and Frank Cassin Wharf with ancillary events in various locations.

The event will involve up to 70 vessels berthed in the port area, with crew numbers totalling in excess of 1500 young people. There will be firework displays on the evenings of Thursday 30th June, Friday 1st July and Saturday 2nd July 2011. The event consists of a programme of music, exhibitions, parades, funfairs, water based activities, ships visitations, craft and food markets, on-site corporate hospitality. The anticipated audience number is approximately 500,000 over the duration of the event.

Submissions and observations in respect of the proposal may be made to Waterford City Council on, or before, 4pm on Friday 22nd April 2011.

Paul L’Estrange Ext 9954
    Senior Assistant Chief Fire Officer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Submitting
    1defibulator for the ancient musicians attending

Why is it called tallships race,when clearly its not a race.

Who gives anyone right to tax charge traders on the land
    What favour is being returned to toll operator for giving up 3 days of revenue...
    Why are volunteers only obliged to be gard vetted if they are male only, according to the app form?

Why are local businesses being approached to diki up their fronts yet not getting no help whatsoever ,eg offsetting decorating cost on rates' or a grant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Why do you ask so many questions young man? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Submitting
    1defibulator for the ancient musicians attending

Why is it called tallships race,when clearly its not a race.

Who gives anyone right to tax charge traders on the land
    What favour is being returned to toll operator for giving up 3 days of revenue...
    Why are volunteers only obliged to be gard vetted if they are male only, according to the app form?

Why are local businesses being approached to diki up their fronts yet not getting no help whatsoever ,eg offsetting decorating cost on rates' or a grant...

WOW Thats mad , Jesus if that was the other way around ........................

Double standards sicken me to be honest. Jesus that is really really bad ain't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Why is Jesus getting roped into this?

Unless the Garda Ombudsmans name is Jesus?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dayshah wrote: »
    Yes.

Do you think its fair that the pubs keep all the windfall for themselves?

Are the band pulling in the crowd? No
    If they were then they should get more money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

EEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFF already

wellboytoo wrote: »
    EEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFF already

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Just got the entire weekend (and the morning after) booked off for this.

Gonna spend my days walking around the stalls, rubbing my hand up and down the posts going "Hm...well now...how much did that set you back?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've been told that the prices actually start at €1800 exc VAT for a basic stand (stands will be of differing sizes, in different locations, and add-on extras are available). It costs much, much more to set up in the Food Court and the organisers will put in kitchens etc for those that wish to avail of them.

It's by no means a license to print money and businesses will have to work hard and have a good product if they're to make money - but I believe it should be that way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Are charities exempt?

Having been at the Dungarvan food fair today, I can say that if the quality of food was half as good and twice the price at the tall ships, we're in for a big treat.

blobbyblob wrote: »
    Having been at the Dungarvan food fair today, I can say that if the quality of food was half as good and twice the price at the tall ships, we're in for a big treat.

You know, I never really thought of that. I was thinking of just burgers and ice-cream cones.

But if someone has a good food product at a fair price, they mightn't break even on the weekend, but they can introduce 500,000 people to their product. Its a great opportunity for advertising. Then whenever people eat your cheese or sausages or whatever they will be reminded of a great weekend in the Déise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 viking2011

Most Restaurants are looking at it from a marketing viewpoint -
    i know Bodega, La Boheme, Sabai, La Palma and a few more are promoting their own business by selling bite size dishes of what they do best
    well done to all concerned for taking the trouble to do it
    its tough enough running a food business without running a high volume food stall as well
    roll on the Tall Ships and the warm summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Hi all,

Just to let you all know that Passage East Tall Ships Festival are having a Market on the quayside on Sunday 03/07/11- the trader's fees are NOTHING like the fees that the main Tall Ships festival organisers are charging, so there'll be no ripping off going on, if we can help it! And it's a mainly free event. Free parking, free live music, free bouncy castle, free childrens activities...!

Hope to see you all there..
    I think that's an unfair dig at the Tall Ships Festival organisers who have spent millions of euro (much of it generated from City Council and Waterford City businesses) and a huge amount of time and resources to bring this event to Waterford. You wouldn't be able to have your own event without the work they put in to make Tall Ships happen in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Lads, I'm looking at the rate card right in front of me and there is a huge sliding scale which is completely fair. You've got a typical farmer's market pitch going for €435 for four days and that's very reasonable at a little over €100 a day. That's what I'll be paying and I'm happy to do so!

Different positions on the quay, retail and hot food are being charged anywhere from €600 to €2400, and they will most definitely make that back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Lads, I'm looking at the rate card right in front of me and there is a huge sliding scale which is completely fair. You've got a typical farmer's market pitch going for €435 for four days and that's very reasonable at a little over €100 a day. That's what I'll be paying and I'm happy to do so!

Different positions on the quay, retail and hot food are being charged anywhere from €600 to €2400, and they will most definitely make that back.

So if you sell raw spuds its 435€ but if you cook the spud its an extra 2 grand,
    its a little insanely ironic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

So this whole thread quite nauseating at times with the attitude portrayed by some, has been based on Wrong information,but that did not stop people ranting on, never let the truth get in your way!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

Is there opportunities to sell things on the streets? If so how would this be organised.

What i mean is rather than standing at a stand, could you sell on the corner and then move to the next corner etc?

• Advertisement

tonyagrey wrote: »
    Is there opportunities to sell things on the streets? If so how would this be organised.

What i mean is rather than standing at a stand, could you sell on the corner and then move to the next corner etc?

A potential minefield IMHO. With people surely paying more for a good location you couldn't have guys just wandering into such an area.

Having said that I have an inside scoop(pun intended) that there maybe ice-cream stalls being wheeled around so who knows

Advertisement